exconkiller187
JHL1234

do violent video games affect you in any way and do they change your attitude when not playing?

JHL1234
Started: 2/20/2015 Category: Games

exconkiller187

Con

In my opinion i believe that video games do not affect you in any way i have been playing grand theft auto since i was 5 and i still have not turned violent on any one or anything .
JHL1234

Pro

Have you ever wondered if the increasing prevalence of video gaming is affecting the mental health of children? Studies have shown that playing violent video games causes, or at least is in a relationship of correlation with, aggressive behaviour.[1] Meta-studies, studies which analyze the results of multiple studies, have shown that playing violent video games correlates with aggression.[2] Laboratory test results also show that children who played violent video games are more aggressive than most children.[3] Violent video games cause violence and aggression.

Firstly, a study done by JAMA Pediatrics has shown that the act of playing violent video games correlates with aggression. 3,034 students in Singapore were asked about their video gaming habits over a course of two years. The group of students took questionnaires designed to measure their aggressive behaviour. According to the study, students who frequently play violent video games are more likely to behave aggressively than their counterparts who play violent video games less frequently. Brain scans of gamers who played violent video games have shown that they have less activity in the areas of their brains responsible for attention and inhibition of impulses; this shows that violent video games do cause violence.[1]

Secondly, a meta-study done by the APA has shown that exposure to violent video games is linked to higher levels of aggressive behaviour. The meta-study has shown that violent video games have negative short term and long term effects on behaviour.[2]

Thirdly, a study done by the psychologists Craig A. Anderson and Karen E. Dill has shown that violent video games are linked to violence and aggression. In the study, 210 college students were separated into two groups: one is a control group, where the students played a non-violent video game called Myst; the other group played the violent video game “Wolfenstein 3D”. The study found that the students who played Myst were less aggressive than the students who played Wolfenstein 3D.[3]

As you can see, multiple studies, meta-studies, and laboratory tests show that exposure to violent games causes violence. Aggression and violence can be caused by exposure to violent video games.

[1]http://time.com...

[2]https://public.psych.iastate.edu...

[3]http://www.apa.org...

exconkiller187

Con

In my opinion i believe that video games do not affect you in any way i have been playing grand theft auto since i was 5 and i still have not turned violent on any one or anything . But still in the making you believe what people say on the internet not knowing if it is real or not and if this problem was a issue why haven't these games been banned and why are parents letting kids play video games such as grand theft auto and call of duty. Not enough info has been let out for anything such as what the internet says to support the reasoning of why violent video games change you in anyway .
JHL1234

Pro

First of all, I want to thank my opponent for responding to my arguments.

Now, I will attempt to refute my opponent's arguments one by one; my opponent's arguments are italicized, and some parts of their arguments were paraphrased.

In my opinion, I believe that video games do not affect you in any way; I have been playing Grand Theft Auto since I was 5 and I still have not turned violent on anyone or anything.

I believe that this argument is flawed in that it is based on anecdotal evidence, which does not stand up to the multiple studies that I have cited. Also, whether or not con himself turned violent on anyone or anything after playing video games does not apply to everybody--not everyone is psycologically identical to my opponent, so his experiences do not necessarily apply to everyone.

If violent games caused violence and aggression, then why are these games still allowed?

A lot of things have negative effects and yet are still legal. For example, alcohol consumption can have a lot of negative effects, yet it is legal to consume alcohol. Likewise, it has been shown that violent video games cause violence, yet it is legal to play them.

If violent games caused violence, then why are parents allowing their children to play them?

Again, the fact that an action is allowed does not necessarily imply that it does not have negative effects.

But still in the making you believe what people say on the internet not knowing if it is real or not...

I did not just quote what people said on the internet. Rather, I cited professional studies done by psycologists which were hosted on the internet.
exconkiller187

Con

Alright , since u got all this evidence to support this have you been effected by a video , no and nobody else has games that change any thing about you. Games are just as many call it a stress reliever and if that wasn't true why do adults play games when they get from work because they are stressed in some why or just want to chill out and i have played with many adults that get on there Xbox to relieve there stress at work or anything that happened to them in the day. Also your false statements are just a matter of inconsiderate information. I have not been on this topic long enough to know the truth and really nobody knows the truth but just to break it down for you most of all the info you can get online was written by someone not knowing if its true or not and second you don't know what to believe unless you hate video games together and for any one to come up with any false statements that are based on the internet or what some one thinks it doesn't help your cause of what video games do to you nether do video games do any thing to you in the first place and just to make this clear all the killings that go on that people clam happened because of video games no they happen because something is wrong with that person physically or mentally .
JHL1234

Pro

Let me argue against some of con's arguments.

Firstly. con argues that nobody knows if video games cause violence. That's untrue. I have shown using reliable sources, such as studies published or reported on by Times Magazine, Iowa State University, and the American Psycological Association that the act of playing violent video games is correlated with violence.

Con claims that my sources were written by people who do not know anything about the topic at hand; however, con provides no evidence that shows that the American Psycological Association does not understand Psycology.

second you don't know what to believe unless you hate video games together and for any one to come up with any false statements that are based on the internet or what some one thinks it doesn't help your cause of what video games do to you nether do video games do any thing to you in the first place and just to make this clear all the killings that go on that people clam happened because of video games no they happen because something is wrong with that person physically or mentally .

I did not claim that Columbine or whatever incident was caused by video games. Instead, I provided evidence sourced from reliable journals that violent video games can, and do, cause violence. The research papers I have linked to, which were written by reliable scholars, have shown that video games can have an effect on people even if they're mentally fine.

Games are just as many call it a stress reliever and if that wasn't true why do adults play games when they get from work because they are stressed in some why or just want to chill out and i have played with many adults that get on there Xbox to relieve there stress at work or anything that happened to them in the day.

Whether or not something relieves stress has nothing to do with whether or not it has a casual link with violence or aggression.

Posted by exconkiller187 2 years ago
exconkiller187
bro straight got hellah mad with my last statement no lie
Posted by oldeskoolgamer 2 years ago
oldeskoolgamer
first off games don't increase your violence level. most games are to increase intelligence. they can also take you to a place where you can never go now games like call of duty, gta, battlefield and some other shooters do. but getting angry at a game usually subsides after the game is done.
Posted by EndarkenedRationalist 2 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
Oh, the urge to snipe is strong with this one.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
exconkiller187JHL1234Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Grammar: duh. Sources: pro had them, con didnt. Arguments: Pro offered *scientific* proof that videogames are linked to aggressive behaviors, Con only offers weak argumentation, e.g. "in my opinion". Con even admits last round that Pro offered evidence for his position and then offered the weak question--has a videogame affected you. whether or not they have affected him is irrelevant, as it may not affect some people. But *on aggregate* Pro proved videogames can, have, and will continue breeding violence in the future.