flash7221
16kadams

do violent video games cause bad actions?

16kadams
Started: 1/26/2012 Category: Technology

flash7221

Con

this is my first debate, thank you for a responder. i beileve that video games do not cause bad acts. particularly violent ones. tests have proven that they dont. what do you think? for an argument to be stated, i think that there is no connection between violent video games and behavior. indeed, they may change your attitude, anger, and possibly get addicted, i still am not convinced that violent video games cause bad actions to one another ( such as a shooting at a school)
16kadams

Pro

Ok I love violent video games, but their bad.

C1: Make kids more aggressive

New studies have shown they cause violence among children. Both kids in the US and Japan have shown higher aggressive acts if they play video games. (1) Also 1999 colombine :( the 2 boys that killed 13 loved shoot em up games. (2) they videotaped a game of them playing, during the killing they acted and dressed and shot exactly like the game, they acted like it was a game! (2)

In Indiana universities researchers scanned brains of people who play violent games, and ones who did not. The kids that did had more emotional arousals. (3)

A multi million Dollar lawsuit against grand theft auto is about an 18 year old boy who killed 3 cops, the predicted reason was the video game. (4)

C2: causes bullying

The game bully glorifies bullies, you get point for these acts and make it seem like it is ok. (5) university of Missouri researchers say video games lower the sense of what you know is right and wrong raising the amount of actions that are "bad" if you play video games. (6) in other words blurred their conscience.

Violent video games cause players to have joy when inflicting pain unto others. It gives bullying a reason! That raises rates, benefits= more of a reason to do it. (7)

=conclusion=

It causes you to do thing that you wouldn't do if you didn't do games, hence I disprove your point as it DOES make you aggressive and more likely to do bad things. Also in my opinion you have the BOP. Vote pro.

http://articles.cnn.com... (1)

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu... (2)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com... (3)

http://www.cbsnews.com... (4)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk... (5)

http://www.dailytech.com... (6)

�Dave Grossman and Gloria DeGaetano, Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill: A Call to Action against TV, Movie & Video Game Violence, 1999(7)
flash7221

Con

yes. you are correct in the fact that they make you more aggresive, and build up anger. i clearly stated this in the 1st argument
now, you used the word "cause"
cause-the producer of an effect, result, or consequence.
i also said the word cause.
there have been studies at harvard medical school that show there is no connection bewtween video games (violent ones) and the acts of behavior.
you should have the mental capability to know right from wrong at all times. at no point in ANY violent video game does it tell you -" now go to your school and kill your fellow classmates,"
a video game cannot CAUSE you, it may INFLUENCE you.
influence-A power affecting a person, thing, or course of events, especially one that operates without any direct or apparent effort
therfor, yes a video game CAN influence you to do bad things. BUT, they cannot CAUSE you to do things. you and you only can prevent yourself from doing things. for people to blame it on video games is an excuse to their mistake.
we are surrounded by all sorts of bad things. rape, drugs, shootings, etc. these things are all around us everyday, yet we also show this on TV and radios. yet, when you watch crime shows like CSI, Law and Order, etc, techniquely it is bad exposure to bad things. when you see a crime, such as a man shot and killed on your local TV, why dont you go out and kill someone? its showing you about murder? yet why dont you?
because it is WRONG. therfor you will NOT go shoot anybody. this ALL RELATES TO VIDEO GAMES TOO, you are exposed to violence and it is your choice whether to commit violence or not.

if video games are causing bad actions, why hasnt our crime rate increased over the years violent games were produced?

people who play these type of games are more likely to do bad things because of their backround
( abusive parents, bullied at school, etc) and playing violent games is their way to ecscape from the world and take out their anger on something other than a perosn. if you play Call of Duty, and your parents beat you everyday and are drug addicts, are you still going to blame the video game for that person commiting a crime?
about the 18 year old who killed 3 cops
1.you failed to provide the 18 year olds backround
2. you failed to say WHY the video game caused it.
same with the promoting bullying, 99.9% of people arnt going to bully others because a virtual game allows them to. most bullies are fromm, once again, bad backrounds. abused, drugs, etc.
you should ALWAYS know right from wrong, a normal person should know how to seperate fantasy from real-life.
i also stated that they could change behavior.
violent video games is a way to take your anger out on something, so yes, you may feel joy when you shoot someone in a game. video games are meant to be fun, so when you shoot someone in a video game, the person isnt going to go into deep thought about it. they wont think of it being real at the moment.

good luck, i hope you can provide a valid argument back
vote CON.
16kadams

Pro

R1 "cause"

A person or thing producing results. (1)

Now my sources and facts have shown violent games are the CAUSE. So therefore wanna say cause? Ok... I still get this. The BOP is on you bro :)

R2: tell you too

Reasons some teens become violent is due to modeling behaviors. When teens see violence at home, movies, or video games they think it is on to do. (2) seeing these acts occurring make you more likely to be violent. (2) (3) so these acts convince you this is ok, it CAUSES violence.

R3: other things

You mis comprehend, CSI is about this is terrible catch him. It doesn't make your guy kill, it doesn't make it look fun. When fox news shown buba stab joe, it doesn't make it seem cool. Video games make killing fun and a norm, these shows do not. You comparison is like apples and oranges.

R4: crime rate

Actually my source said it did.

A 2000 FBI report links violent video games with school shootings. (4) so it causes more shootings, shootings = crime (4) also it raises aggression that in turn raises crime. (5)

R5: backround

Socio economic factors are a player but I have proven that role models raise violence and video games are a role model. (2) (3)

R6: why

I did earlier as I proved it glorified killing and is a role model.

=conclusion=

My opponent obviously has the BOP ( or most of it as what I am saying is accepted science fact ), and all if he is saying are unsourced statements that I have refuted. I have fufflled my duty here, vote PRO

http://m.dictionary.com... (1)
http://www.teenhelp.com... (2)
energycommerce.house.gov/108/Hearings/06142006hearing1921/hearing.htm (3)
"the school shooter a threat assessment perspective" FBI PDF (4)
http://m.cnet.com...(5)
flash7221

Con

my opponent has yet to post a valid answer. you say they cause these violent things, they cant. as i said before, every single human being should have common sense and know right from wrong, fantasy from life. just because video games influence you to do violent things, does not mean they make you do it. if your friends tell you to smoke, they are influencing you to do so. but you have the CHOICE to smoke or not. same goes for video games.
crimes are dropping dramaticly, my sources:
http://www.slate.com...
http://www.guardian.co.uk...
yes, indeed they are dropping
According to a recent paper based on studies at the University of Texas,"Overall, violent video games lead to decreases in http://kotaku.com... crime."
the crime rates are gettig lower. all voters check out the sources, and tell me what you think.
all of the websites i look around on google, only say that "video games cause change in behavior, make more aggresive."
i have said they do that. but they cannt physically make you do something. there is a reason we have a brain, you should use it and know right from wrong
we are influenced by bad things all the time. and yet, we dont do them, most of the time.
if you beileve that video games cannot cause you to do something, vote con.

remember i AM saying they change behavior. but you have the choice to do your actions. so think of that before you vote.
16kadams

Pro

R1: valid response

I have used many more sources then you all linking video games to crime and aggression. You have not fulfilled the BOP ( lets say it's even to be fair). If anything my response is more valid.Also you mention substance abuse and friends, saying they do not truly make you. False:

Parents additudes on drinking affect their children's habits. (1) One example of how influence causes and makes habits. Further more peer pressure does work and people often give in. (2)

My opponent thinks cause = it causes it 100% of the time, drugs (meth specific) causes aggression

Please check out sources I have better ones.

R2: crime

A 2005 study shows it raises aggression And kills the mental filter. (3)

Raised aggression rates would increase crime, also lets pretend your right, there are other factors in crime drops. Inflation has risen and that reduces crime. (4)

End

Conclusion:

I have disproved con, as this was last round and I argued first I kept it short. Also Please see I have better and more sources. There are other reasons for crime drops con :) vote PRO

http://www.lifespan.org... (1)
http://www.thecoolspot.gov... (2)

"An examination of Violence and gender role portrayal in video games" by: Tracy L dietz university of Florida (3)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com... (4)
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
did con refute? I saw little refutation until the end, yet it is close wtf?
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
read the RFD he explained why the 7 was ere, it used to be 5 but read the newer 2
Posted by MasterKage 2 years ago
MasterKage
No, 7/7 is a vote bomb.
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
@Kage

His points are valid, then you see the other 2 points. Read the RFD
Posted by Angelo 2 years ago
Angelo
Politico I see you have a vote bomb tenancy as con had no sources till last round, also your vote, a pro said, was vague. Also Hardcore, my source point is valid. Also your argument point fails because it gives him 3 points based of of your opinion.
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
politico more detail...
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
@hcp

I didn't c/p at all, also notice I had more sources + more reliable ones ...
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
8 hours left
Posted by flash7221 2 years ago
flash7221
yeah, you forgot to include sleeping.
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
@flash

Odd logic 8 hours =\= all the time, still 16 hours left to commit crimes
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
flash722116kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro showed how violent video games are lead to more aggression and school shootings and what not, also gave more sources
Vote Placed by Gileandos 2 years ago
Gileandos
flash722116kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: The evidence was well cited by Pro. His sources were remarkable. Thoroughly impressed with the scope of the debate from Pro's position. Con was unable to detract from Pro's line of argumentation and establish a positive or non-existent effect. Conduct due to voting irregularities.
Vote Placed by MasterKage 2 years ago
MasterKage
flash722116kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter vote bomb Angelo. I'm sorry, Angelo, but that is such a vote bomb.
Vote Placed by Angelo 2 years ago
Angelo
flash722116kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources pro he had more, arguments pro he had facts, con had unsupported statements. Counter 2/3 of politicos argument vote as it is vague, and doesn't explain anything at all, also how does con win is he had unsupported arguments the whole way except the end on crime. Fail vote. Also someone counter Hard core's vote (see comments for why)
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 2 years ago
ConservativePolitico
flash722116kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think Con did a good job showing how video games do not cause violent behavior but his lack of upper case "i" was driving me NUTs...
Vote Placed by Hardcore.Pwnography 2 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
flash722116kadamsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Really it depends on the age of the person playing the video game. If you're 80 and playing a violent video game, it won't make you cause bad actions. Countering source vote from angelo, doesn't really matter if pro has more sources... You can just paste random links then.