rnannarone
Contra

do you think it is true that you can't forget your first love?

Contra

rnannarone

Pro

It's been said by people of many ages and also portrayed in many different movies, songs and television shows. First love. We see it in everyday life, the kind of love that leaves you breathless, and leaves you with this warm feeling. Everyone has a first love, or a person who they experience all of these things with. But first loves end for a number of reasons, and sometimes they don't always end on the greatest of terms. But we have always been told that you never forget your first love, and that a part of us always carries a piece of that person with us. I pose the question, is that true? Do we never forget our first love? I completely believe that it is impossible to forget them. That no matter how old we grow we look back on that and smile, and carry those memories with us as we move forward through our lives
Contra

Con

Well, this will be interesting because it is outside of my usual political debates that I participate in, but for this debate, I will hold the pragmatic highground (which I always try to do).

First, I have to point out to the voters, that my opponent looks like a troll, her profile is almost identical to a troll's.

Here is my opponent's contention:

You cannot forget true love, it is a part of yourself from that point you acquired it onward in life.

My point: You can forget things

This is nearly universally accepted, I mean SERIOUSLY? Since I don't expect a serious response, I will just give out one point this round:

Alzheimer's Disease:

In this disease, the hippocampus usually breaks down severly, and is fatal over time. It is the most common form of dementia.

As this disease advances, symptoms can include confusion, irritability and aggression, mood swings, trouble with language, and long-term memory loss. As the sufferer declines they often withdraw from family and society. Gradually, bodily functions are lost, ultimately leading to death. It affects each individual somewhat differently. AD develops for an unknown and variable amount of time before becoming fully apparent, and it can progress undiagnosed for years. On average, the life expectancy following diagnosis is approximately seven years. Fewer than three percent of individuals live more than fourteen years after diagnosis. [1]

------My point:

It is possible to lose memory. Just because a chemical reaction occurs, doesn't make it a part of your inner brain that is invulnerable. The hippocampus, during some tragic cases such as in Alzheimer's disease, causes a person to lose much of their long-term memory. However, the first step in treating this is to admit that it exists. Saying that we all remember love is just ignorance, and harmful to some in society. [2]

Hippocampus: A component of the brain that plays critical roles in the consolidation of both long-term and short-term memory, as well as spatial navigation. [3]

VOTE CONTRA

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.nia.nih.gov...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
rnannarone

Pro

I think your completely wrong to say it's ignorant to remember love. And i don't find it harmful to society either. First of all we as human's have emotions, and we feel something towards others. This is an undeniable truth, and for us to say otherwise is ridiculous. Love is an emotion, and as human's we all have gone through that first love feeling at least once in our life. Now while i agree that yes there are certain illnesses that cause us to forget memories, and feelings we have felt. I think it is always possible to be able to recall what we felt.

Now i'm not saying that we are able to magically make these problems go away, but in certain cases if a person is reminded of things their memory can be jogged. I am not saying that it will remind them of every single detail, but it will get them to remember certain feelings, and moments they have experienced. It has been shown that by reminding people with these conditions of moments in their lives they will sometimes respond to these memories.

Maybe this makes me a hopeless romantic, and maybe I'm a little naive. But i truly believe that we as human's remember our first love. And I wholeheartedly believe it's something that doesn't just disappear. I myself have watched people try to get over their first loves, and have watched them bring up memories of it even as time goes on. Now while some may recall their first love fondly, and others may remember only negative moments ; the point is very clear. Their all connecting with these emotions, maybe in different ways. But their all remembering instances, and feelings of this person. which goes to show that no matter how much time passes, they continue to remember
Contra

Con

I did not say that it is ignorant to forget love. I said it was ignorant to act like all of us can remember our memories.

"Maybe this makes me a hopeless romantic, and maybe I'm a little naive. But i truly believe that we as human's remember our first love."

My opponent is basically saying that we remember our first true love once we have one. While this is likely true, not all people will remember their first true love.

Romance: A Chemical Reaction

Falling in love may feel magical, but it also a chemical/ biological ride that starts in the brain. First, the ventral tegmental area is activated, which is a clump that is the body's central refinery of dopamine. Dopamine regulates reward, and the shock we feel during a thrill is dopamine. The thrill you get signals the brain's nucleus accumbens, which is located slightly higher and farther forward in the brain. Not just dopamine, but other chemicals such as serotonin and oxytocin are processed in the nucleus accumbens. Oxytocin is one chemical that floods new mothers and creates a fierce sense of connection with their babies.

The same chemicals put to work between lovers creates strong feelings. The last major stops for love signals in the brain is the caudate nuclei, where patterns and mundane abilities such as knowing how to type or drive are stored. These, and other motor skills are hard to lose because of the caudate nuclei's indelible memory. This leads to commitment. [1] So, although love is a difficult feeling to forget, it is certainly possible.

Memory

In older folks especially, cognitive abilities decline. The effects become more pronounced. In Alzheimer's disease, which is the most common form of dementia amoung the elderly, you can lose memory severly.

In Stage 6 with Alzheimer's, severe cognitive decline is noted. The memory loss is so severe, that the people at this stage sometimes don't remember their name, and have trouble remembering their personal history. [2] Just because a unique chemical reaction has taken place, doesn't mean you are spared from this loss. So, you can lose the ability to remember your first love if you have a severe cognitive disease, such as Alzheimer's disease.

[1] "Through the Ages." Time: Your Brain. 13 1 2012: p. 48-49. Print.
[2] http://www.alz.org...
rnannarone

Pro

I truly think that you are looking at this argument from a way too scientific point of view. People try and bring science and hormones into simple things like love and attraction. But in reality, what does it really prove? Human's aren't robots, and no two humans are alike in what they feel, and how they act. While yes these kind of diseases that alter a persons memory are tragic, i think it's completely besides the point.

Love is an emotion that every one can feel, or have experienced at least once in their life. But no two people have ever had the exact experience. But by talking about this condition it seems that your placing all people in the same category when in reality, they can't all experience the same things. And while yes the symptoms are different it doesn't mean that they have identical experiences. I think that this kind of remembrance has nothing to do about science, but everything to do with what is in our hearts and what we as individuals can remember.
Contra

Con

I agree that love varies for all, but is just a strong chemical reaction.

"I think that this kind of remembrance has nothing to do about science, but everything to do with what is in our hearts and what we as individuals can remember."

Obviously love and people are involved with science, because IT IS SCIENCE!! My opponent also claimed that:

"While yes these kind of diseases that alter a persons memory are tragic, i think it's completely besides the point."

My opponent mentioned that she thinks it is tragic that people may lose their memory. Thus, she admitted that some people can forget their first true love. It is comparable to this situation:

A guy says that tax cuts stimulate the economy and increase reveneues, while later admitting that he still supports tax cuts, but admits that they do reduce revenues in many scenarios.

My opponent has contradicted herself, and said that some people can forget their first true love. The resolution claims that you cannot forget your first true love. My opponent has agreed with me that it is possible. Therefore, Con automatically wins.

Vote CONTRA
rnannarone

Pro

rnannarone forfeited this round.
Contra

Con

Well my opponent forfeited.

I also proved that you can forget memory.

VOTE CONTRA
rnannarone

Pro

I have made my thoughts clear on the subject. And that's that love is an emotion no matter the circumstances it cannot be forgotten. While yes my opinion is based solely on my beliefs. Love is an emotion we see stressed in music, movies and television. We are surrounded by ad's that depict that first love feeling. love is EVERYWHERE. so to say that it's possible to lose it is ridiculous and completely untrue. A person who lives in a world where these messages are sent frequently would jog any persons memory. they would never be able to forget what they've felt and what they want
Contra

Con

First I'll remind the voters of my opponent's forfeit.

Plus, love as I desciribed it is an emotion. It may be stored, but doesn't make it invulnerable. Why should a special emotion (chemical reaction) serve differently in a way that makes it invincible?

Plus, think of this example. In Romeo and Juliet, Romeo is first in love deeply with Rosaline. However, he later saw Juliet, and forgot his love with Rosaline.

People with Alzheimer's disease can forget personal memory as well. This is a point that went unrefuted by my opponent. Therefore, I should win.

My opponent also at first agreed with the resolution, then later said:

It is related to the point. People can forget their first love. Either through disease, a severe injury to the brain, or a new lover (such as with Romeo in Romeo and Juliet).

My opponent has not refuted my case.

Vote CONTRA
Posted by destttt_b 5 years ago
destttt_b
I agree with THE BOMB. I know it's too late to comment, but this really is just about forgetting things over time. Debates on this website are based too much on logic and not enough on emotion and morality. Have a heart you guys, like damn -_- and to call her a troll was completely irrelevant to this debate. In philosophy there are all different things we can use to motivate ourselves in a debate: logic, emotion, emotion based off of logic, or vice versa. But, debates only based on logic are just throwing out facts, statistics, etc. and not giving reasons for them. Yes, this debate would have been better if pro would have added more facts, reasoning, etc. but this debate should've been about more than just being redundant about memory loss... just saying.
Posted by Contra 5 years ago
Contra
Eh, I don't really have a passion for this type of debate. However, I dealt with it by choosing to accept it. Love and all that isn't my specialty in debating, not by a long shot.
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
Wish the argumentation was better on the pro side of things. Otherwise, this could've potentially become a good debate.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Interesting topic, though I'm not loving the execution.
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
This is basically an argument over whether it is possible to forget anything...
Vote Placed by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
rnannaroneContraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con because Pro forfeited a round. Sources to Con because Pro did not use any. Con's argument from Alzheimer's effectively defeated Pro's resolution, especially since Pro's only response was "you're looking at this way too scientifically."
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
rnannaroneContraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct-FF Con args-he proved multiple ways and medical problems you WILL forget... Need I explain more?