xOpuim
FleetofThoughts

does My Chemical Romance really save lives?

xOpuim

Con

for your reference: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Though My Chemical Romance is my favorite band, I do not believe that they have "saved lives". Some other fans that I know state that the music has helped them through hard times and in some cases, they go as far as to say that the music has stopped them from committing suicide. I personally do not believe that music can be one's only reason for living.

I don't personally care for an introduction; please commence the argument in the first round.

(Note: This is my first debate. But please, DON'T go easy on me.)
FleetofThoughts

Pro

I'd like to open by stating that I am not a fan of My Chemical Romance (Something seems ironic here...). My argument will be extended to music in general, while being inclusive of My Chemical Romance.

Music, like most art, incites the observer to feel something. Granted that they have empathy and appreciation for the art and its message. This is what most often attracts people to music in Western Culture today.

When the feeling (love, pain, laughter, sadness, hope, and/or etc...) is ingrained inside of the observer, it affects their thoughts and actions. Take this study for example (and there are countless more if you do a Google search): http://well.blogs.nytimes.com...

I don't see it far from possible that music with exciting sounds and driving lyrics could give someone, who has found themself lost for hope, the motivation to find hope again. It happens to me all the time, except I'm usually thinking about a girl or something of the like, rather than suicide.

It's not that the music is their only reason for living (even if they state that, although I suppose it is possible). It's just that they can see the other troubles in their life as lighter through their contentment that was caused by enjoying the art of their preference.
xOpuim

Con

I can see how music could motivate someone or make them feel better, but I still cannot see it saving someone from taking their life.

A line such as "I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone" (Famous Last Words) might be inspiring, but would it not be highly unlikely for someone to have a total epiphany and change their outlook on life just from hearing a line like this? The same goes even for a whole song.

And in some cases, fans state that a certain band member saved their life. E.G. http://browse.deviantart.com...

I personally find this to be ridiculous. How could someone you have never met save your life? You've had no personal connection with them whatsoever, yet you twist around lyrics and quotes from them to connect to you in a way that you find "deep". And some even justify essentially stalking their favorite celebrity or performer on the premise that "they saved my life".

I think finding lyrics inspiring differs greatly from stating that a band is your reason for living.
FleetofThoughts

Pro

FleetofThoughts forfeited this round.
xOpuim

Con

xOpuim forfeited this round.
FleetofThoughts

Pro

FleetofThoughts forfeited this round.
Posted by THEBOMB 4 years ago
THEBOMB
It's also annoying :P plus, it really isn't more enticing...Resolutions imply questions.
Posted by xOpuim 4 years ago
xOpuim
it's proven to be more enticing when it's a question, though...
Posted by THEBOMB 4 years ago
THEBOMB
At least make the resolution not in the form of a question. Make it a statement for example:

Resolved: MCR does not save lives

Then take Pro.
Posted by xOpuim 4 years ago
xOpuim
hmm... maybe i will after this one is over. rigth now i'd like to focus on my favorite band and maybe broaden the horizon later.
Posted by THEBOMB 4 years ago
THEBOMB
If you change it to the resolution "music saves lives." Or better yet, "music does not save lives" I may accept if I have time.