Debate.orgg
Wylted

does canada suck

Wylted

Debate.orgg

Con

i think canada is best place ever
Wylted

Pro

Let's start with some definitions.

Canada- noun, meaning a place that sucks.

Sucks- verb (used with object)
1. to draw into the mouth by producing a partial vacuum by action of the lips and tongue: to suck lemonade through a straw.
2. to draw (water, moisture, air, etc.) by or as if by suction: Plants suck moisture from the earth. The pump sucked water from the basement.
3. to apply the lips or mouth to and draw upon by producing a partial vacuum, especially for extracting fluid contents: to suck an orange.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

I'll be using the 2nd definition. Canada for the word suck and the only definition for the word Canada. The word Canada is defined as sucking, so I win, but if I have to make an argument for the 2nd definition it would be that Canada draws in tourists. Since one definition is to draw in, I win.
Debate.orgg

Con

First of all the meaning of Canada is : The name Canada originated around 1535 from the Saint-Lawrence Iroquoian word Kanata meaning "village", "settlement", or "land"; another contemporary translation was "cluster of dwellings".

Second of all Canada is the best for many reasons such as:

"We"re more satisfied with our lives: According to the Better Life Index, an international quality of life comparison by the OECD each year, Canadians enjoy a higher level of life satisfaction than Americans, scoring 7.4 out of 10, versus 7.0 in the U.S." stated from macleans.ca June 28, 2013

Saying "Sorry" is good for you: Canadians are mocked for always apologizing, but it"s not a character flaw. Saying sorry has been found to boost happiness and strengthen relationships. Researchers at the University of Waterloo even found apologizing to a cop when pulled over for speeding can get fines reduced an average of $51. True, scientists did recently claim that refusing to apologize for your actions leads to a sense of empowerment, but such short-sighted thinking would only appeal to self-centered Americans. (Sorry, that was mean.)

Our kids are all right: Canada"s schools take heat from all sides, but they must be doing something right. Our 15-year-olds routinely score in the top 10 of 65 countries that participate in the OECD"s reading, math and science tests. Last time around, in 2009, we were sixth, just behind Singapore and ahead of New Zealand. American teens? A lukewarm 17th. Ouch.

We"re better educated: 48.3 per cent of Canadians have a post-secondary degree, compared to 40.3 per cent in the U.S.

We"re fitter: The percentage of American adults who are obese is 35.9. In Canada, it"s 24.2.

We drink less: Our alcohol consumption is 8.2 liters a year, compared to 8.7 in the U.S.

We"re richer: Canada"s average household net worth of $363,000 is higher than America"s, at $320,000.

we donate more to charity (Canada - 60 America- 64)

We"re funnier: Hollywood and American network television have known it for decades. Wayne and Shuster, Lorne Michaels, Catherine O'Hara, John Candy, Mike Myers, Jim Carrey"all examples of our comedy supremacy. And a new generation of Canadian comics is keeping the tradition alive. Vancouver slacker Seth Rogen has become one of Hollywood"s most bankable comedians, along with Brampton, Ont."s Michael Cera and Montreal"s Jay Baruchel (all three star in this summer"s apocalyptic comedy This is the End).

We dominate hockey: Stanley Cups aside, hockey is still Canada"s game. While the percentage of Canadians playing in the NHL has declined since the 1980s, Canadians still make up more than 50 per cent of all players in the league, compared to Americans, who account for just one-quarter of players.

Better football: Since the late 1970s, the National Football League has been tweaking its rules to encourage more passing"that is, to make the U.S. game more exciting. Up here, we got it right the first time: a three-down game on a great, big field. So on second and 10, you can bet that ball will be in the air.

We"re actually better at tennis now: While most Canadians have been preoccupied with hockey, a young man from Thornhill, Ont., has quietly become one of the most successful men"s tennis players in Canadian history. As of June, Milos Raonic"s ranking was No. 15 among singles players and, statistically speaking, he has the strongest serve in the world, serving more aces per match than any other professional player in 2012. America"s current top male singles player is Sam Querrey, whose ranking, as of June, was No. 19.

Niagara Falls: Canada"s horseshoe falls vs. the American side. Enough said.

We"re more peaceful: This year, Canada was ranked the eighth most peaceful country in the world. The U.S is ranked 100th.

e attract more immigrants: Canada gets 5.65 per 1,000 people, compared to the U.S., with 3.64 per 1,000.

We have the "most social astronaut": Eight North Americans have commanded the International Space Station over the last four years, but only Canada"s Chris Hadfield became a household name worldwide. His photos, duets from space and that cover of Space Oddity helped catapult @Cmdr_Hadfield to one million Twitter followers. @TheRealBuzz (Aldrin) has 806,000.

Slaves migrated from America to Canada for freedom.

We don"t have out-of-control prison sentences: Last year 38,700 people were serving time in Canada, roughly 114 for every 100,000 citizens. That"s nothing. In the U.S. 2.24 million Americans are locked up"716 for every 100,000 citizens, the highest incarceration rate in the world. Canada ranks 136th.

We"re more popular: Backpackers knew it for years, but studies confirm the Maple Leaf really is beloved around the world. In 2012, the Canada brand held top spot in the Reputation Institute"s ranking of countries based on people"s trust, admiration and affinity for them. America"s reputation rank: 23rd.

Our taste in chocolate is better.

In all, SORRY, Eh
Wylted

Pro

Introduction

My opponent has cherry picked a bunch of things that don't suck about Canada and used them to rationalize Canada not sucking. I'm sure we all can agree Hitler sucks, yet I can still point out a bunch of things that don't suck about him. Hitler was a vegetarian, he was good with animals, he was a great lover and let's not forget he had an awesome mustache.

It's not enough to point out good traits. My opponent has to figure out a way to quantify sucking or not sucking and show how Canada meets those quantifications. What I'm going to do to quantify sucking is explain some of the living conditions.

Frozen Waste Land

Canada is extremely cold. For half the year it's virtually a frozen wasteland. Canada is basically a big Alaska. http://www.worldweatheronline.com...

Canadian Women

Canadian women are extremely ugly. They probably have the ugliest women on the planet.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com...
http://www.happierabroad.com...

Part of this ugliness is probably caused by women being chain smokers at a high percentage.
http://m.theglobeandmail.com...

The women in Canada are basically the men of Canada. Studies done in Canada actually show they're the dominant sex. http://ir.lib.uwo.ca...

So if you're into ugly chicks that smoke, drink and screw you with a strap on, than by all means move to Canada.

Canadians are idiots

Here is a personal account from a Joy Sinegar. I had a hard time choosing from millions of examples of Canadians being stupid.

"We went to a crowded pancake house there in Toronto and we were in a group of five.

We were greeted by the waitress who then asked, "How many of ya?" I replied, "Five."

She then proceeded to look around the restaurant and turned back to us and asked, "Do you all want to sit together?"

I thought she was joking and burst into a hearty laugh only to become embarrassed once I found she was serious.

"Ugh, preferably, we would like to sit together.", I sheepishly answered.

My cheeks hurt from the forced smile I had fighting back more laughter.

Seemingly pissed, the waitress sucked her teeth and found us a large enough table.

After being seated, we overheard the same waitress asking a couple with 3 kids the same thing.

Are the kids to sit at one table and the parents at another?"
http://www.chicagonow.com...

Did you know these idiots put milk in bags? That's idiotic. http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

When going to Canada, you can get arrested for almost anything. Just look at this law:

It is illegal to show public affection on Sunday.

http://www.dumblaws.com...

Everyone Hates Canada

The Canadian population is about 35 million people http://www.statcan.gc.ca...

It's the 2nd biggest country on the planet. Yet it is only the 36th most populated. http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

If Canada didn't suck, more people would choose to live there. Not only that, the ones that do live there almost all live on the border waiting for any excuse to slip away. https://www12.statcan.gc.ca...

They almost all have a P.o. Box just past the border because retailers hate Canada so bad they won't ship anything there. http://m.theglobeandmail.com...

If you move to Canada, be prepared to live in a frozen waste land for 6 months with an ugly woman who will dominate you, and prepare to be subjected to stupid, laws and people.

Canada sucks. Rebuttals forthcoming in next round.
Debate.orgg

Con

My opponent has just searched the reasons why Canada sucks and posted it. That does not clear anything because first of all your site is not official and is just a bunch of randomized opinions that you trust. Second of all i really don't think we are are talking about Hitler. And that he was mostly bad but Canada is mostly good.
Wylted

Pro

My opponent hasn't offered any rebuttals, which is sad. He also completely disregarded the point I was trying to make with my Hitler analogy. I was pointing out that things can mostly suck, but still have good things that can be pointed out about them. How did he seriously not understand this?

I also attempted to quantify suck. I showed how living in Canada wouldn't be pleasurable. My opponent has quantified sucking as being better than America. We'll examine this in a moment.

America Sucks

My opponent's entire case is built around Canada being better than America, but unfortunately this isn't about whether Canada is better than America or not. It's about whether Canada sucks or not. If Canada is better than America and America sucks than we only proved Canada is better than a country that sucks. This in no way proves that Canada doesn't suck.

There is another problem with pro's arguments. As I pointed out in round 2 Canadians hate Canada. This is why they mostly live near the American border and have P.O. Boxes in America. They also hate Canadian entertainment and it's the reason the government has to force it's people to watch canadian T.V. And listen to Canadian music.

Direct Rebuttals

""We"re more satisfied with our lives: According to the Better Life Index, an international quality of life comparison by the OECD each year, Canadians enjoy a higher level of life satisfaction than Americans, scoring 7.4 out of 10, versus 7.0 in the U.S." stated from macleans.ca June 28, 2013"

This isn't really cited properly. Am I supposed to take your word for this? Also the difference in satisfaction is minimal. Being satisfied with your life has no correlation with quality of life. It just means you have low expectations. Pigs are satisfied living in their own fecal matter. It doesn't mean their life doesn't suck. It just means they're unambitious, stupid animals. That's basically what Canadians are. I can't say I blame them. They have to live with dominant cigarette smoking women in a frigid wasteland, with a bunch of idiots.

"Saying "Sorry" is good for you: Canadians are mocked for always apologizing, but it"s not a character flaw."

Canadians always apologize, because they're weak. This is a race of people who let their tobacco chewing girlfriends wives wear the pants in the relationship. The fact they're even satisfied living with women that are both ugly and dominant, shows their inferiority.

"We"re fitter: The percentage of American adults who are obese is 35.9. In Canada, it"s 24.2."

Maybe if your women would cook for you, you'd put some meat on your bones. In America our women are in the kitchen where they belong. So yes we get to eat some darn good food. I'm talking real bacon not cheap knockoff Canadian Bacon. If Canadian men had any testicular fortitude, they'd have subservient women who aren't ugly cook for them too.

"We drink less: Our alcohol consumption is 8.2 liters a year, compared to 8.7 in the U.S."

That's because American beer is better. If Canadian beer didn't suck maybe people would drink more if it. If you consider how ugly Canadian women are it's kind of sad Canadian men actually are more likely to hook up with one when sober.

"We"re more peaceful: This year, Canada was ranked the eighth most peaceful country in the world. The U.S is ranked 100th."

That's cause you're a bunch of wimps, as I've repeatedly pointed out.

"we attract more immigrants: Canada gets 5.65 per 1,000 people, compared to the U.S., with 3.64 per 1,000."

That's because Canadians are too stupid to utilize the death penalty. When Americans kill their wives the first place they head is Canada, because they know the government won't kill them there. I wouldn't really brag that all of America's murderers are migrating there. Canada has been listed as a top ten fugitive destination. http://www.crimelibrary.com...

"We don"t have out-of-control prison sentences: Last year 38,700 people were serving time in Canada, roughly 114 for every 100,000 citizens. That"s nothing. In the U.S. 2.24 million Americans are locked up"716 for every 100,000 citizens, the highest incarceration rate in the world. Canada ranks 136th."

You hear that criminals? Canada is soft on crime. Move there, and get out of my neighborhood.

It's not a good thing that so many scumbags roam free in Canada, but thanks for bringing it up.
Debate.orgg

Con

Debate.orgg forfeited this round.
Debate.orgg

Con

extend does not count and as for your analogy wasn't as strong enough
Wylted

Pro

My opponent's statement is incoherent, and I have no response to it. Vote me.
Posted by SafeWalk12 4 months ago
SafeWalk12

Wow I bet his wife is having one hell of a marriage...literally.
Posted by SomeGuyWhoIsCool 5 months ago
SomeGuyWhoIsCool
I am pretty sure Con could have won this had he tried harder. I personally support Con, but in terms of who should have won, Pro clearly won this debate.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Seriously a 180 day voting period? Wtf is wrong with you?
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Why did you lie about your age on your profile? Your age is more than obvious.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
You forgot, the word sexy.
Posted by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Filthy, semantic-playing noob-sniper.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Go Con!!!
Posted by TheLastMan 2 years ago
TheLastMan
Lol, Wylted ..
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
You weren't supposed to see this one.
Posted by Envisage 2 years ago
Envisage
There is no way you can complain to me about abusing semantics in our debate Wylted after seeing this one.....

No way.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Debate.orggWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Debate.orggWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Though Con started off strong, he floundered and ultimately ground to a halt. Negative conduct to Con for the ff round and argument to Pro (who sucks :-P).
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Debate.orggWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited round 4. S&G - Pro. Con made several spelling and grammatical errors. This is immediately noticeable even in Round 1 with his failure to capitalize properly. Arguments - Pro. Con failed to provide any form of rebuttals, twice. Both in R4 and in R5. For this, Pro takes arguments. Sources - Pro. Con failed to utilize sources throughout this debate. This is a clear 7-point win for Pro.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
Debate.orggWyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeit. As to arguments: Pro took things in a bit of a trolly direction, but Con didn't seem to have any kind of adequate rebuttal--perhaps the tack Pro took flustered Con, but in the end Pro's arguments stood, while Con's failure to actually rebut Pro's points loses him arguments. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.