AERY
091915

does everything revolves around math?

AERY

AERY

Pro

Hello, everyone,

It's my first time here as a debater and I hope to have a nice debate with someone about something that plagues people since the ancient times, is numerical measurements a natural law of the world?
First off I'd like to inform that english isn't my first language and I hope to avoid making a lot of grammar errors, I don't have restrictions as to who the challenger is, I just ask that the person is logical with his arguments, you can say about religion as well, but, as expressed, you have to use logic with good premises and conclusions.

As to the debate then.
Many philosophers support the reason of laws of nature being sustained by a bigger force, some support a "Being", some to destiny and stars, and others support a numerical factor that reigns about the the time and space, I support the latter, I'd like to give the first word to the challenger. Good luck!
091915

Con

Hello, I want to start off with the fact that I am an English major and as shown in my profile, I plan and hope to be a writer and English professor someday. I have been interested in writing since I was a young girl and just for that reason alone, I am not in favor of math being pushed at everybody and having claimed to be the "center" of the universe.
AERY

Pro

Okay, so let's start things.
First, I hope that you can achieve your dreams of becoming a professor of English.
Second, I don't "push" math to the "center" of the universe, that is my simple opinion, which came to me by logic and reasoning, and if you can make me submit to your arguments, I'll commend you for changing my life.
Starting then, I believe that math is the closest we have to a "divine" way of life, and the reason for that is somewhat simple, pick a time period since the origin of the universe to some unknown future and any location within our dimension, I guarantee to you that in any one you pick will have the same law as 1 apples + 1 apple = 2 apples. But not only is this simple things true, but all the complex ones, if someone tries to calculate something and the result is wrong, I guarantee to you that the person is the one who made the mistake, not the math.
And the fundament that regulates all things is the math (to me and some others at least), every word has a correspondent in frequency which has a measurement in numbers, time and space.
A famous character that is actually the first one put this idea in notion is Pythagoras, here is an excerpt from a speech by the character "Aristotle" in the book Protrepticus that says a lot about this way of thinking.
"..the Pythagoreans honored the effort put into mathematics, and coordinated it with the observation of the cosmos in various ways, for example: by including number in their reasoning from the revolutions and their difference between them, by theorizing what is possible and impossible in the organization of the cosmos from what is mathematically possible and impossible, by conceiving the heavenly cycles according to commensurate numbers with a cause, and by determining measures of the heaven according to certain mathematical ratios, as well as putting together the natural science which is predictive on the basis of mathematics, and putting the mathematical objects before the other observable objects in the cosmos, as their principles."
(Hutchinson and Johnson, 2015 p. 16)
Numbers can measure all things, is just that humans don't know how to do it yet.
Just because a baby can't measure the room he is in, it doesn't mean that it's immeasurable.
Look forward to round 3.
091915

Con

You make some valid points. However (and this may just simply be my personal opinion), I am so tired of everybody seeming to think you need math for everything. And I supposed I can reword that and say that I'm referring to complicated math. For example, if I do indeed become an English professor, of course I will need addition and subtraction and numbers in general. But I will not, even once, need the Pythagorean (sp?) Theorem, to know the area of a trapezoid, or have to convert terms of fluid measurement, among other things. That's one thing I hate about schooling, especially public schooling today. They require every student to take a math course every year from elementary school until college (unless you complete the requirement in high school and don't need to take it when you get to college). Not all students are good at math, myself included. It is a common stress among students. I know you will probably say English is too for some, because it may not be their strong suit. This is true. But my argument supports the fact that I feel English is a more important skill to learn, and that is why it should be required, as opposed to math. Think about this: For what reason do we know how to write a number, pronounce the names of math concepts (or anything in the world for that matter), know how to say anything? The answer is English. Food for thought. Looking forward to Round 3 as well.
AERY

Pro

AERY forfeited this round.
091915

Con

091915 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by RarityIsReady 1 year ago
RarityIsReady
AERY091915Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Peo made more convincing arguments about math.