thatdamnatheist
daniel.thiberge

does god exist?

thatdamnatheist

Con

religion is a mind virus, and most likely the only reason you would believe in god is because your parents\guardians did. the idea of a god or any deity for that matter is ridiculous, it sounds like a fairy tale. lets hypothetically say that you and everyone around you were raised to believe Santa was actually real, you would most likely go your whole life believing in his existence. that concludes my opening argument and thank you for reading.
daniel.thiberge

Pro

This debate is on the topic of whether god does or does not exist. Bringing religion into the debate defeats the purpose. I believe that "god" is what a person thinks it is. A popular argument against the existence of god is that there is no proof that it exists. This argument is invalid because, based on current scientific knowledge, everything we sense, think, and feel are created in our brain. There is no such thing as "proof". Christianity is based around the bible, which, aside from being very old has no more significance than any other book. At least with the non fiction books made in the past hundred years, there are usually people who can verify the information. In the case of the bible, all people can believe in is the written text, which unless there is anyone who can translate it perfectly and understand its true meaning, is as good as a poorly written poem. Back to the subject of "god". God is different to different people. It can be compared to art in the way that there is no strict definition or limit on its usage. If I said I am god, nobody could prove otherwise, so the only reason I wouldn't be god is if someone or some people disagreed with the idea. That is the main reason (the difference in religious opinions) that different religions exist. The big question: "Does god exist?". My answer is sometimes, to me no, to many others yes. Whether he/she/it exists is up to the individual. If you find people with the same belief(s) as you, great! The thing to remember is: just because god exists or doesn't exist to you, doesn't mean it's the same for others, and different opinions are okay but there is no reason to talk bad of a person/group just because you disagree with him/her/it?/them.

Side note: I am 16 years old, living in America. Agnostic and was born in Israel. I have no bias other than my personal opinion.
thatdamnatheist

Con

thatdamnatheist forfeited this round.
daniel.thiberge

Pro

daniel.thiberge forfeited this round.