musicisallineed
angrymen

does history matter?

angrymen

musicisallineed

Con

History is a subject which has been made compulsory to be studied till the 10th grade.
why?
It doesn't benefit us unless we wish to pursue a career in archeology or its branches and the length of the lessons and forced question/ answers prove to be a pain rather than interesting. Students ahve to study it under compulsion and the ammount of quality time spent over this could be devoted to subjects with more priority like math and the sciences.
Hence i question, does history matter?
angrymen

Pro

I will accept.

History-A usually chronological record of events, as of the life or development of a people or institution, often including an explanation of or commentary on those events(1)

Teaching history is very important. You can learn a lot and it still affects us today.

1. Past events still affects us today.

Almost all of the world’s conflict comes from past events. So of the most important issues in the world are caused by an important event in history. Events such as World War 2, cold war, civil war, and many other events influence many of the major events that happen in the world today. To best understand these problems and to find a solution people need to know about why these problems occurred. An example could be Cuba today. When Cuba became communist America stopped trading them(2). The history between America and Cuba is an important thing and is still affecting us today.

As you should know stuff you learn in history class is still affecting us today, and it is important to understand.

2. History is used in the workplace.

My opponent says “It doesn't benefit us unless we wish to pursue a career in archeology or its branches and the length of the lessons and forced question/ answers prove to be a pain rather than interesting.But that is not true. The American Historical Association says that with an undergraduate with history “Among the jobs you can consider are: advertising executive, analyst, archivist, broadcaster, campaign worker, consultant, congressional aide, editor, foreign service officer, foundation staffer, information specialist, intelligence agent, journalist, legal assistant, lobbyist, personnel manager, public relations staffer, researcher, teacher . . . the list can be almost endless.(3)” There are plenty of careers where history is important such as civil service, insurance, intelligence work, law, publishing, and many more(4).

3. History in society.

Teaching history will help students better understand the world they live in. History can teach students why buildings look like they do are why the streets are named what they are. Many things you encounter in your everyday life are influenced by things that happened in the past. Things like why we have the 2nd amendment or why New York is the largest city in America all can be explained by historical events.

History also can teach people about their own history. History explains why people have the ideas that they have. When you learn about history you can understand while people had the ideas they had. History can also teach you about your ancestors and your own heritage.

4. History is interesting.

There are so many subjects in history it is hard to not be able to find something you enjoy learning about. Everyone can find something that they enjoy learning about. You can study the history of economics, music, politics, philosophy , technology, and many more.

In conclusion history needs to be taught in our schools because it is important in understanding our society and the world. History is also an important subject because it is used in many professions.

I await my opponents response.

(1)- http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

(2)- http://en.wikipedia.org...

(3)- http://www.historians.org...

(4)- http://www.kent.ac.uk...

musicisallineed

Con

If you want to go into politics, but most people will find it useless. Most political decidions are made irrespective of hisotry. That's why it should be an elective rather than a required class.

Today, people need to focus on new technologies and entrepreneurship, and not on studying how past generations were fighting wars all the time for stupid reasons.
angrymen

Pro

Rather than debate this topic my opponent has chosen to drop all my arguments in favour for her opinion.

My opponent claims "Most political decidions are made irrespective of hisotry. That's why it should be an elective rather than a required class." First off I don't understand how you go from "political decidions" to making history an elective. And secondly many political decisions are made with history in mind. Many laws are made right after big events or something strange. After FDR's four term presidency is when we set up term limits for the president. Many of the amendments on the Bill of Rights were to prevent things that the British had been doing to the colonies.

Most political decisions are made with history in mind and history will continue to influence all parts of our life.

My opponent also says students should not be "studying how past generations were fighting wars all the time for stupid reasons." Have you ever heard the saying "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."? It has some truth as history is a great way to learn what is right and wrong. Looking back we can see that certain things our ancestors did were mistakes and wrong. We can learn from it and try to make the world a better place.

My opponent thinks that "today, people need to focus on new technologies and entrepreneurship". I agree with this but that does not mean we should stop learning about history. As I showed in round 1 knowing your history can be beneficial in many career choices.

I hope my opponent will try to debate this with me in the last round. Good luck.
musicisallineed

Con

first of all, stop qouting me dude :P
I myself am a student. and this debate has helped me understand the importance of learning history. My question was hounding me, and now its cleared. I still partially disagree with you, but you step up a good agruement.
Thankyou.
angrymen

Pro

It seems my opponent has conceded. I would like to thank my opponent and hope he/she realizes that learning history is important.

I believe I have shown why history should be taught in schools and refuted my opponents arguments.

Vote Pro.
Posted by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
@PC lol
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
"first of all, stop qouting me dude :P"

*facepalm*

This is a debate ...
Posted by TheOrator 5 years ago
TheOrator
It's only compulsory untill the tenth grade for you? I'll be a senior next year and I've had to take it up to my junior year. Next year I'll be taking a compulsory government and economics course, which is listed under the history block.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
musicisallineedangrymenTied
Reasons for voting decision: How dare you insult the awesomest awesome subject in the world?!??! HISTORY IS SO AWESOME! ANYONE WHO HATES HISTORY IS NOT AWESOME!
Vote Placed by TheOrator 5 years ago
TheOrator
musicisallineedangrymenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments and conduct for concession
Vote Placed by stubs 5 years ago
stubs
musicisallineedangrymenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceeded