Anirudh075
TheOriginalBob

does our education system need a makeover

TheOriginalBob has forfeited round #3.

Anirudh075

Pro

The modern education system is making our upcoming generation dumb. As children mug up knowledge from their books and puke it out on tests they forget to understand the real essence of education. In an history class you remember all the id terms. In an Algebra 2 class you are made to gulp down large chunks of formula. What in the world our then our children learning? Is it all about who has better memorising skills?

The debate is open to all...
TheOriginalBob

Con

Thank you for opening this topic. I look forward to debating with you.

Now, firstly I would like to start by tearing down all that is wrong with your first argument:

"Children mug up knowledge from their books and puke it out on tests"
There are two things wrong with this argument
1) There is no analysis as to why this is better than the previous educational system. In fact, it may just be a whole lot better than the previous system, as the previous systems used a principle of repetition, which meant learners just constantly repeated information to themselves and then they also spewed it out onto tests.
2) The modernized system utilizes different testing mechanisms that make sure you don't simply spew out the knowledge and make sure you actually apply the knowledge to the test paper. Instead of asking you to work out an answer using that Algebraic formula you learnt in your Algebra class, the test can give you a word problem which utilizes a number of different formulas in order to reach the correct answer. The modern educational system is much better than the previous system.

"What in the world our then our children learning?"
Our children are learning to apply the knowledge they've learned to the test paper. Even if it is a case of whoever has "better memorising skills" it doesn't make the previous system any better than this one, as the previous system relies mainly on repetition and memorising! At least with this system, you are able to apply your knowledge, even if it is on a small level you still achieve more of a marginal benefit than the previous systems.

I will now be moving onto my argument on why bringing back old systems is detrimental to the way society works.

Old systems worked before, and they have done their part. But what the proposition fails to realize is that change is the biggest constant of our world, and unfortunately, it is unavoidable. The best you can do is to keep up with the ever changing society around us. The schooling system is no exception to this. New systems have to be put into place to keep up with the new societal norms. We now think Corporal Punishment in schools is illegitimate because our society realized over the years that physical violence towards children caused them to develop a higher chance of experiencing trauma in their lives. The same mechanic applies to the way we teach children. It is now no longer neccesary to teach children about creationism in schools because we have found proof that evolution is a thing that happened in the world, and is much more factual information to be teaching to our future leaders.

The old systems teach children either old information or teaches them new information in old fashioned techniques. As we have seen, old systems of education create big problems for the countries that employ them. South Africa, for instance, uses a system of teaching that is rooted in old traditions, and we are seeing constant economic downfall for them, with their currency's value falling ever so much. In much more developed countries with much more developed and modernized educational systems, we see an influx in trade, job oppurtunities, technological advancements, and so on.

So in conclusion, the old systems that were put into place many years ago simply won't work for us anymore. We have to look towards the future.
Anirudh075

Pro

TheOrginalBob I do appreciate your counter argument but I assume that you didn't understand my point. I don't want our old system to return in any way, in fact i agree that our previous education system was about repetition, i want change in our current one. I want kids to learn in a way that they can use them in their real lives. Don't tell me that during high school you haven't mugged up facts so that you can get a A in your test. We all have done it and how many times have we used those facts. Solving linear equation using matrices. Do you even remember that equation. You were taught this in Algebra 2!

I propose that we have learning that we can use in future and the tests be conducted on deeper implication of what is learned in class rather than that of what is "taught" in class
TheOriginalBob

Con

I may have misinterpreted your point to some extent, but the fact of the matter is that you have not provided any sturdy arguments as to why we need a makeover in the first place. Even if I misinterpreted your point, you still have not given any good reasons as to why the topic stands.

Yes, I have mugged up facts in high school, but everyone does that. What that does is it allows you to choose your subjects for high school wisely. Usually, the learner only learns and applies things in subjects they find mediocre and uninteresting to them, but when studying for a subject they find interesting and enjoyable to them, they go out of their way to actively learn everything about the subject and what they're learning and they actively put in an effort to apply that knowledge in a test. Our current educational system is teaching kids just fine at the moment, and I really see no reason as to why this has to be made-over.
Anirudh075

Pro

According to research conducted by Kyung Hee Kim, Professor of Education at the College of William and Mary, all aspects of student creativity at the K-12 level have been in significant decline for the last few decades. Her study reveals "that children have become less emotionally expressive, less energetic, less talkative and verbally expressive, less humorous, less imaginative, less unconventional, less lively and passionate, less perceptive, less apt to connect seemingly irrelevant things, less synthesising, and less likely to see things from a different angle." That is depressing.. This clearly shows how are education system is declining. The education system have killed our creativity and innovation skill. Hence it immediately needs a make over. When was the last time a invention came out that changed the world? I'll tell you without any doubt the smart phone which came out in the 1999. After that the world seem to have stopped. Why? Because our education system tell us When you grow up you tend to get told the world is the way it is and your job is just to live your life inside the world. Try not to bash into the walls too much. Try to have fun, save a little money.
Posted by TheOriginalBob 4 months ago
TheOriginalBob
In my first point of rebuttal, I meant to state that you didn't provide analysis as to why the older education system was better than this one, not that you didn't analyse why the current one is better than the older one. My mistake
Posted by Anirudh075 4 months ago
Anirudh075
and dont you worry i respond to every debate
Posted by Anirudh075 4 months ago
Anirudh075
Posted by Anirudh075 4 months ago
Anirudh075
Of coarse you can join the debate i would love to hear about the education system from the flip side.
Posted by MrBurns2017 4 months ago
MrBurns2017
I have recently debated with some ignorant guy about the topic.

I can only defend the British system.. if you want to argue about that.