does religion deserve respect?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

We all have a right to believe. However nobody is obligated to respect the beliefs themselves. Your belief does not bestow upon you any special rights. Nor does your right to believe carry a right to automatic respect of that belief.
To clarify:
Respect; a feeling or understanding that someone or something is important, serious, etc., and should be treated in an appropriate way, free from ridicule and criticism.
Deserve; to merit, be qualified for, or have a claim to (reward, assistance, punishment, etc.) because of actions, qualities, or situation.
First round is open to argument.

I want to make sure I understand, its people who act arrogant about their beliefs, and act as if their point of view is the only one that is worthy of respect? So I'm going to go on to say that NO ONE should put their opinions or beliefs out there like that. its not a good way to convince someone that you might be right If that's what your trying to do. if not what's the point in bringing it up at all. People just need to learn to talk about a difference of opinion without personally attacking. I do feel like I can respect someone regardless of a difference of believe or different conclusion as long as they aren't being a child about it:)
I apologize if we are on the same page because that isn't a debate lol. give me some more detail about the subject though if you would. it may still be one yet:)

missmedic forfeited this round.

Andrea39 forfeited this round.

We need to realise that if groups have to demand that you respect their beliefs, rather than letting their beliefs speak for themselves, this is automatically a mark against them. If their beliefs and claims were true and just, they wouldn't need to demand that we respect or tolerate them, we would adopt them as our own. Far better that one adopts the beliefs of science which doesn't demand respect or tolerance. On the contrary, it demands critical inquiry, debate and rejection of theories if the evidence doesn't support them. Religion should demand no less. One of the greatest failing of religion is that it makes religious faith a positive attribute. Religion is the one area of our discourse where it is considered noble to pretend to be certian about things no human being could possibly be certian about, and then demand respect for that certianty. Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking. Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do. People need to realize that the solace and comfort that religion brings comes at a terrible price. Religion has power to divert man to destructive courses, and the world could actually come to an end. Religion and Faith are in a symbiotic relationship, without faith religion would die and religion must die for mankind to survive.

Andrea39 forfeited this round.
Posted by really12 1 year ago
Under the same analogy, does atheism deserve respect?

At least religion condones morals with the Qur'an's five pillars of faith and the holy bible's ten commandments.

Where do morals come in into atheism?

Did Joseph Stalin kill 60 million people and when died, did his body just break down into molecules over time and his egregious acts went unpunished?
Where are the morals in that?

At least with religion, it does not allow immorality to go unpunished.

Also, the law, believe it or not, goes by religion. What is a witnessed asked to swear upon in court? The holy bible.

In conclusion, of course religion deserves respect.

My question however, does atheism deserve respect?
Posted by KonstanBen 1 year ago
I think there is a logical fallacy in MissMedic's argument.
Posted by Blasphemy 1 year ago
I'm gonna say that it does not deserve any more respect than the belief in the tooth fairy. I mean, it's that ridiculous. It's actually hard for me to take religion seriously, and therefore also to respect it.
But let's look at the positive side of blasphemy and religion-mocking for a moment. Sometimes mocking can actually get someone to wake up and realize what kind of BS you believe in. The way I got converted to atheism was by watching atheist youtubers who constantly mock religion (examples: The Amazing Atheist, darkmatter2525).
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
For those that are interested I will repost this debate, as pro wishes to have a conversation and not a debate.
Posted by Beagle_hugs 1 year ago
I would need to understand what your position is better before I could decide whether to debate it.

For instance, respect has many senses, ranging from basic decency to elevation. Which do you mean?
Posted by MrJosh 1 year ago
People should be respected. Religion, like political ideology, should be placed under the greatest scrutiny, and only offered respect if it deems itself worthy.
Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
It certainly does.

Any belief a person holds true deserves respect to a certain degree especially religion because its unfalsifiable and illogical to the point that some would kill others for it or under its name. For the sake of a running and functioning society, respect for religion is vital; until the point where your accommodations for them actually infringe your rights in a significant way.

Your argument is analogous to this:

People's instinct to maintain a certain 'interacting distance' (your space bubble) is illogical because that is just the way THEY feel and I dont have to respect the way they feel because I feel differently.....

Well guess what, if someone came and talked to you (in a normal voice and all) only 1 inch away from your face, I'll bet you start to feel uncomfortable and angry...I certainly know many people who would fight just for that reason. Thus if everyone goes around getting in each other's proverbial space bubbles, nothing but conflict will arise and society wont work. remember this is all to a certain extent though...
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
Lack of respect does not imply hate.
Posted by themoongirl 1 year ago
Everyone should respect religion. Don't be haters guys.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
I hope whoever ends up being Pro genuinely agrees with the Pro position and provides a good intellectual challenge. This could be a great debate.

I'm curious why you think faith or hope should automatically be respected, but we should probably not discuss it too much until after the debate.