debatable1999
AlexThunder

does violence in television and movies influence the way children behave

debatable1999

Pro

I am for this subject and am willing to take your points on while I still believe in my own opinion I am interested in that of others.

i think without the violent films there would be a decrease in gangs because they wouldnt have a place to get their ideas from.
AlexThunder

Con

This should be a fun one. I think i will begin.

Kids, from a young age, learn the difference between fantasy and reality. Children especially when they were very young would often hear stories like the red riding hood or whatever, and are able to realize that it is all a story. Same thing happens with movies. Kids realize that movies are just fiction, and not reality, thus they don't attempt to fly like Clark Ken (i think that's his normal name) does in Superman movies. If you, as an adult, think that what your kids watch in the TV they consider as reality, you are underestimating the intelligence of your own child.
debatable1999

Pro

although your argument is very fair it is not really based on the topic question you are basing your post on if the child sees it as a fantasy or a reality.

I think the violence in TV and movies have a big impact/influence on how kids behave because in certain cartoons after the victim has been beaten up in a few seconds it isn't hurt again making the child believe that violence doesn't hurt anyone and that will encourage them to commit violence. Also there are many studies that prove that there is an increase of likelihood that children who watch violent TV programmes or movies will demonstrate aggressive behaviour towards others. this is because Children imitate what they see on television. this is the reason why I think violent TV and movies do influence the way children behave.
AlexThunder

Con

Thank you for the response.

Firstly, i am not talking about fantasy or reality. I'm talking about how movies influence a child's behavior. A child may see what happens in violent movies, like people killing each other, or public shootings for example and think it's fine. That was my argument.

"I think the violence in TV and movies have a big impact/influence on how kids behave because in certain cartoons after the victim has been beaten up in a few seconds it isn't hurt again making the child believe that violence doesn't hurt anyone and that will encourage them to commit violence"
What you said here can be answered by my previous argument in the first round, that you probably did not understand. What you are saying is, and correct me if i'm wrong, although i think your statement is clear enough, that kids watch cartoons with violence, and because the character does not seem beaten up after a fight, children think its fine and don't see violence as a bad thing.

Actually, as i said, a kid is able to judge if what it sees is true or fiction, and make it's own decisions on the certain topic. People think that kids are stupid at early age, but they are much more intelligent than we think. Kids can even see violence in certain cartoons and get the message that violence is bad, by actually judging the film and realizing that it is showing an example of violence, and not that violence is fine.

"Also there are many studies that prove that there is an increase of likelihood that children who watch violent TV programmes or movies will demonstrate aggressive behaviour towards others."
After some research i did on the topic, the results were as i was expecting them to be. The same thing happens to a kid playing violent video games.
What the study actually showed is increased blood flow in the parts of the brain that control copycat behaviors. Now, parents and other people see this and say that kids are more susceptible to copying the behavior that violent movies/cartoons present and increasing aggression. Actually though, and every scientist will tell you that increased blood flow in a certain area is a very broad category, that doesn't really translate necessarily to any particular behavior.

"Children imitate what they see on television. this is the reason why I think violent TV and movies do influence the way children behave." My previous argument covers that, and i will add 1 more thing.
Kids, as i said, are not stupid. They can understand what reality and what fantasy is. If that didn't happen, you would, in theory, walk down a path in a forest with your 6 year-old daughter, and she would be shaking from fear because the bad wolf might appear from the bushes, as it did in red riding hood. Seriously now, don't underestimate the intelligence of children.
debatable1999

Pro

monkey see monkey do, has been that way since the start of television.this simple quote just summs up this arguement.
and last I checked fantasy & reality wern't the same thing .Does having lots of Monopoly Money make you rich? no.

Children imitate what they see, however if the parent(s) stay involved and explain each cartoon (or atleast ever problematic scene) it can be fine. I had to stop letting my four year old watch the hulk cause he kept talking about hurting people when he got older. Common sense kicks in for older kids but each child learns at their own pace.

I think it depends on the parents too. If the parents are there to tell the child what's wrong and what's right then there shouldn't be a problem. kids look to there parents so I would say they are more of the influence then anything else. if a child can watch violent movies and know that those things in the movie are wrong and shouldn't do those Things.
AlexThunder

Con

Hold on. I don't know anyone that after telling a story to their 3 year old say: Remember! It's all fiction! I don't want you wandering around believing that if cloudy, it might as well start raining meatballs!

I mean lets get serious for a second. The point of all those stories are to teach kids morals and/or amuse them, and not to make them believe that this is how the world works. After telling a story to your kids, i think you are explaining to them the morals that they should get off the story, and not tell them its all fake.

Kids know what is true. They don't grow up and believe that the invisible alligator or whichever story you tell them. Yes, they will believe in Santa Claus bringing presents in the house for the kids, but they don't know its all a "game" i suppose i should say between the kid and the parents. And they do grow up to believe in Santa, not because they saw him on TV, but because his parents told him. Yes, his parents. Kids trust parents on almost everything until a certain age. If you teach your kid from an early age that flying donkeys exist, it might have doubts but will believe you, and when asked it will say flying donkeys exist, because his parents told him so.

If you think that a kid sits in front of a TV and sees violence and rape and shootings, thinks these things are ok... you either underestimate your kid's intelligence, or the kid needs some help. My father would let me watch a scene from Matrix, and no other scene. The scene did not contain any blood, but it contained shootings and guns. I would watch this when i was 6-7 years old and even younger. It's the scene from Matrix (i don't know which one) that on top of a rooftop people would shoot at each other, do all sorts of moves to avoid the bullets, get hit, and even a helicopter crashing with people in it. You, by your logic, must have grown up to be a violent terrorist with a couple of rocket launchers hidden in by bedroom, working for Al Qaeda. Couldn't be more wrong. I find violence in movies or video games absolutely awesome, and thanks to them i'm not shaking when i see a gun in real life as most people would do. Does this mean i am a Schizophrenic Maniac serial killer hunting for people? No. I have an airsoft pistol. I am not scared to handle it, but i would never ever point the barrel at anything or anyone, as i realize what guns can do in real life. Kids like you or me grow up to understand how reality differs from fiction and fantasy. All kids do. That's my point.

Yes, if you handed me a gun to shoot with, thanks to all the violent video games i've played, i will know maybe how to rest it against my shoulder, cock and fire. And i would love to shoot at some hay or paper targets. Never ever at any animal or human.

By the way, when your kid says things like that, pretending to be hulk, he is probably role-playing. If not, no insult intended, but please get him checked out. Again no insult, just saying. He is probably role-playing and i find that great and fun way to spend time with your kid, and not be afraid of him growing to become a terrorist.
Posted by rant-lover 3 years ago
rant-lover
The Con won this one but I still agree with the Pro