Andrea75
Mharman

domestico violence against women should prevented by addressing male's psychological attitude

Andrea75

Pro

it's well know that high percentage of women suffer from domestic violence. many studies has been conducted trying to focus on the causes of this violence. all these studies identified the risk factors in the attitude of male to maintain power and control. but the conventional approach to this problem is to punish Male's violence once the abuses already occurred. from my point of view it should be more useful to intervene by applying a psychological analysis to male who are usually at high risk to exert violence against women. just because it's better to prevent than to care.
Mharman

Con

Here's a shocker for you: Women are just as abusive men. Across the board almost all of the statistics are close to even.

1 in 4 men are abused by an intimate partner in their lifetime, not a far mark from the 1 in 3 for the women [1]. 1 in 7 men have been severely abused by an intimate partner, also not far from 1 in 5 for the women [1]. Even more shocking, more than 40% of abuse victims are male [2]. The problem is not that men are aggressive, it is that bad people are aggressive, regardless of gender.

[1] http://ncadv.org...
[2] https://www.theguardian.com...
Andrea75

Pro

First of all I would like to reply by asserting that I have never heard of a men killed by his female partner!!!! In second instance the file attached in the first round completely missed a fundamental aspect that is the degree of the violence. As already known the domestic violence could be classified according to a wide range that proceeds from a simple psychological abuse to a daily continuous deprivation of female identity.
My opponent claimed arguing that not only women are victims of domestic violence but still men suffer from abuse conducted by an intimate partner. I"m very glad he/she accepted this challenge. However I must point out that he/she completely missed the real topic of the debate. The issue to debate about dens"t concern to clear if the women are more o less abused than men. The aim of this debate is to establish which is the best way to struggle the domestic violence against women. From my point of view, as already written down in the introduction, there is a worldwide consensus to intervene when the violence has already occurred. Few efforts have been done to prevent the abuses. Many studies have been conducted to identify the causes that push a person to hurt her own partner. All these studies are retrospective analysis. I think the problem should be faced by encouraging the people who are particularly prone to exert violence to be cared before it"s too late.
Than let me go to reply my opponent.
The statistics should be interpreted and analyzed in depth. It"s true that some studies have reported that violence against men is as prevalent as violence towards women, but data coming out from courts, police, divorce records, emergency room demonstrate that the domestic violence usually recognize man as aggressor toward female. Defenders of the theory of sexual symmetry of violence object that these data are unrealistic because men usually are more reluctant than women to report violence by their wives. However a national survey indicate that women are much often victimized than men and the men are likelier than women to call police and to press charge against their spouses.
As noted by a group of leading experts in marital violence in their 1992 published report entitled "The Myth of Sexual Symmetry in Marital Violence," what those who argue that men are reluctant or ashamed to report their wives" assault because of shame or chivalry overlook is that women have their own reasons to be reticent, fearing the loss of a jailed or alienated husband"s economic support as well as his vengeance.
Moreover, enormous differences in meaning and consequences exist between a woman "pummelling" her laughing husband in an attempt to convey strong feelings and a man "pummelling" his weeping wife in an attempt to punish her for not doing what he wants. In addition, men are usually larger in size than women, and the most frequent reason for violence reported by women is self-defense. Consequently, it is necessary to analyze the abusive event in a holistic manner, with attention to the entire sequences of distinct acts as well as associated motives, intentions and consequences, all of which must in turn be situated within the wider context of the relationship.
I"d like to invite my opponent to support the debate with solid discussions not limiting him/herself to cite article grasped in the web. There are many serious articles published that analyze the problem in depth avoiding to express quick and superficial opinions.
Mharman

Con

So, if we're talking about stopping domestic violence in which women are victims, then here's a statement.

MALE'S PSYCHOLOGICAL ATTITUDE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

Instead of blaming men for this, how about we blame the small percentage of men who do abuse their partners? MY opponent has insinuated that all men have an attitude that makes them more likely to abuse women, this is false because (1). Not all men have this attitude, and that is fact, and (2). This is a very feminist-like argument for female supremacy. Instead of blaming males' psychological attitude, blame bad peoples' psychological attitude! There is nothing to show that men have something wrong with them. The psychological trait of abusers is not equal to the psychological trait of men, as shown by the previous statistics [1,2] that this trait is in women almost as often.
Andrea75

Pro

it's really hard to debate without facing serious argumentation's. this debate should be conducted in completely different fashion. it's not a simple comparison of personal thought it requires to inform himself in depth about the topic. improve the knowledge about the problem you 'La be going to speak about. my opponent ,contrarily to my suggestion in the second round, went on asserting his own idea about the problem. he completely missed the intimate significance of the discussion. he kept on by arguing on the difference between the sexes. I tried to persuade him to focus on the main idea that concerns the attitude of male to beat women. I tried to put him attention on some aspect of the problem. he insisted asserting that males are as much as victims as females. that is not the point. it could be an interesting topic of other debate. the issue to debate on is how to break down the domestic violence against women. I'm very disappointed for the fashion my opponent faced the debate. I have always thought that debate.org is a high cultural level site where to discuss different opinion.
Mharman

Con

I didn't think I would have to in order to win, but apparently I may, in fact, need to rebut pro's Round 2 argument in order to win. I am not going to take the risk of not rebutting. I will now rebut pro's text wall of a Round 2 argument.

"First of all I would like to reply by asserting that I have never heard of a men killed by his female partner!!!!"
A lot of media outlets tend to turn a blind eye to abuse against men. But I guarantee you it has happened.

"The aim of this debate is to establish which is the best way to struggle the domestic violence against women"
I can tell you that is not by addressing men's psychological attitude, since man (gender) has no psychological attitude that causes them to be abusive. To win this debate, pro must prove that there is a psychological attitude in men only, to win this debate. If I prove that the attitude is present in females as well, then it is not a psychological attitude in men, it is an attitude in the bad people who abuse.

"The statistics should be interpreted and analyzed in depth. It"s true that some studies have reported that violence against men is as prevalent as violence towards women, but data coming out from courts, police, divorce records, emergency room demonstrate that the domestic violence usually recognize man as aggressor toward female."
That is due to men being too concerned about their self-esteem and what kind of reception from the public they would get if they admitted to being beat by their wives. Also, if anything, studies are more reliable than the reports! Remember, reports only have the statistics on reported cases. Meanwhile, studies have statistics on BOTH the reported and the unreported cases. It's simple. First, the people who conduct the studies get reported statistics from the reports. Then , they cast their nets out to ones that aren't reported, such as the people who are too afraid to actually go out to court and are more safe admitting to being abused to an online study. They then compile all of that into a study. Thus, studies are more reliable.

"Few efforts have been done to prevent the abuses."
Really? How about all of the hotlines for this stuff? Or law enforcement?

"As noted by a group of leading experts in marital violence in their 1992 published report entitled "The Myth of Sexual Symmetry in Marital Violence," what those who argue that men are reluctant or ashamed to report their wives" assault because of shame or chivalry overlook is that women have their own reasons to be reticent, fearing the loss of a jailed or alienated husband"s economic support as well as his vengeance."
True, but men also refuse to report for those same reasons (jailed spouse, loss of economic support, fear of vengeance) as well.

"Moreover, enormous differences in meaning and consequences exist between a woman "pummelling" her laughing husband in an attempt to convey strong feelings and a man "pummelling" his weeping wife in an attempt to punish her for not doing what he wants. In addition, men are usually larger in size than women, and the most frequent reason for violence reported by women is self-defense."
First off, men are not like that when being abused, except in movies. Husbands are unrightfully punished by their spouses as well. And yes, men are in larger size then women, but does that mean we should turn a blind eye to violence against men? Certainly not! For arguments like that (that they are bigger, they can handle it) are the reason why men are so concerned about their self-esteem when being abused by their wives, and won't report it!

THE HEEL STOMP
I stated in the comments section that I have a Trump card up my sleeve. Here it is.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
A recent study shows that women are more likely to be controlling and abusive than men! I would not call that a psychological trait in women, rather I would call that a trait in bad people. Also, if you Google "domestic violence against men", you will find that all of the domestic violence experts in the articles related to the search aknowledge that abuse is a two-way street between male and female.
Also, my opponent has not refuted my Round 2 argument.

Now to rebut your Round 3 argument. You didn't even argue, you just stated that I missed the point. I did not miss the point, as you can see from my Round 3 argument in the third paragraph.

Thank you for this debate. Please vote con. Over and out.
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
Can someone please vote on this one?
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
Not. So. Fast. I have an ace up my sleeve. It's time to bring out the Trump Card!
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
Please post.