giffril31
MasterDebated

dose praying work?

giffril31

Pro

I feel that god is real! I lost my tablet, that night I prayed god to give me a sign. That night I had a dream that it was in my basement under the couch. When I awoke I found it in that exact place. I really think that god is real.
MasterDebated

Con

You think that praying must've been the answer but you could've thought of it on your own. Think about it. You can pray for a purple sandwich for dinner tomorrow but it won't happen unless you make yourself a sandwich and dye the bread purple. What about those who have way more serious issues who's prayers never get answered? Like the ones who have their sons or daughters die in the ER from trauma. You can see how they'd be thankful that god answered their prayers if the kid had healed himself
giffril31

Pro

In the Bible it says that God's awnser is not always yes. If you pray for something unreasonable it might not be a "Yes". Why would god want to give you a purple sandwich?! And maybe God's plan for the sick kid is for it to pass away. i feel that if you have a very reasonable request you have a 90% chance of it being a "Yes". This is somthing that is easy for me to say because I belive that God is my father and my leader. Maybe if you believe that to you might get a "Yes". Just try it! Good Luck
MasterDebated

Con

Well answers are always either yes or no. To think that God sometimes says "yes" is just one of the two options that'll happen anyway.

If you think that God only answers reasonable prayers why is it more reasonable to say "yes" to finding your tablet but "no" to a mother losing her son to illness.
giffril31

Pro

Well I'm sorry but that's gods choice to say yes or no! We have no control of what god says! All we have to do is believe! Try it some time will ya!? Praying DOSE work!
MasterDebated

Con

So

1) you don't have evidence that god exists in the first place

2) you said that god says yes and no to things that would seemingly contradict god's values. The answer can only be yes or no away, so why would praying prove that praying works when it's so contradictory?
giffril31

Pro

giffril31 forfeited this round.
MasterDebated

Con

MasterDebated forfeited this round.
giffril31

Pro

giffril31 forfeited this round.
MasterDebated

Con

MasterDebated forfeited this round.
Posted by Charliemouse 2 years ago
Charliemouse
you guys are pretty damn ignorant about the whole prayer answering thing. God does what he pleases and that sign he gave about the tablet was just another way he chooses to show people that he exists. the child who died in a third world country will not be the last but that child is much better off in heaven than on earth, is he not? God gives and takes away. God shows people amazing things in dreams and i have experienced them too. i have also seen people die and my prayers freeze up in the icy breeze of death, and the utter destruction of my country but i keep praying because it does work.
Posted by derplington 2 years ago
derplington
I would vote for giffril31but1 but they did use a pretty terrible example. I don't think God would answer a prayer about a tablet being lost.
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
Instigator should lose spelling points for "dose".
Posted by irreverent_god 2 years ago
irreverent_god
Seriously? The same god that ignores the penitent please of a third world mother (with faith equal to or greater than your own) that her child receive only the bare necessities for survival is to be ignored, while god pays attention to the plea of a spoiled child to 'find her tablet?' Are you kidding me? This is your evidence for the fact that 'prayer works?' God is going to ignore starving children, women being raped, in droves, African AIDS epidemics, and lack of the bare necessities of life for people all over the globe, so that you can conveniently post your last 'miracle' on facebook?
AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
No.
Just no.