JRyance
RUSE_master

eSports are not real sports

Started: 10/29/2015 Category: Games

JRyance

Pro

eSports are not real sports because they do not require the same physical skills most others do. Sports such as soccer, football, rugby, tennis, and even volleyball require participants at the highest level of the sport to be in peak physical condition. eSports do require the mental skills of other sports, such as high reaction times, and fast twitch muscle fibers, but if you take away the game, they are normal people.
RUSE_master

Con

To begin my argument I will say one thing. I myself, am a gamer. I participate in numerous multiplayer games against other human beings. I am not M.L.G. or anything and do not participate in tournaments mainly due because I am attending school right now but I consider e-Sports to be real sports. They are just of a different kind.

e-Sports are just a more intellectual version of sports. Contact sports are more physical based and e-Sports are more intellectual based. It's as simple as that. I myself play R.T.S. games like Men of War: Assault Squad 2 and Company of Heroes 2 and compete to win an online battle. I would call that an e-Sport.

In the professional world of e-Sports people are competing for prizes(http://www.esportsearnings.com...). This is very big for some people who are professional gamers. There are also many leagues of professional gamers out there. Here is a link to support that:https://en.wikipedia.org...

That is all I have for now and I invite you to fight my argument.
JRyance

Pro

If your argument is that eSports are more intellectual than contact sports, you are correct, but sports like football and soccer take an unbelievable amount of strategy and tactics. There are entire jobs in sports dedicated just to strategy and how to beat your opponent. People are often gauged on their "Football IQ" (or sport equivalent) as a determination of whether they are intelligent in their sport. It shows how important intelligence is in contact sports, if you don't know what is happening, you will get torn apart, unless you are the greatest athlete of all time. This is not true in eSports.

I also play video games, and agree that the professional side of eSports is very large. but here's the thing, you referred to the professionals as "Gamers" and that is exactly my point. If eSports were truly considered sports, you would probably refer to them as players or athletes. I know that there are leagues of eSports and they get payed lots of money. I do not consider myself a soccer player for playing FIFA, and I do not think you consider yourself a General of an army because you play RTS games. My point is, eSports are not sports, they are video games being played by professional, they have their own category.
RUSE_master

Con

RUSE_master forfeited this round.
JRyance

Pro

JRyance forfeited this round.
RUSE_master

Con

RUSE_master forfeited this round.
Posted by RUSE_master 1 year ago
RUSE_master
This is to JRyance: I am sorry I missed Round 2 I had a busy weekend and I thought I had more time than 3 days to post my second argument. I haven't gave up on it .
Posted by jarrod843 1 year ago
jarrod843
Should we begin by clearly defining what a sport is? It seems like this debate quickly moving toward a debate over which is more demanding, and e-sport or a physical sport. I would also like to see a clear definition of what exactly and e-sport is. What differentiates an e-sport from a simple online game?
Posted by ConserativeDemocrat 1 year ago
ConserativeDemocrat
What do you mean by, "even volleyball"? Volleyball requires a great level of fitness, skill, and teamwork to have success. By "even volleyball", I assume you think that anyone can play volleyball and be good at it; that is wrong.