eSports should be recognized and respected as official sports

Started: 12/22/2015 Category: Games

R1- Accept
R2- Arguments
R3- Rebuttal
R4- Summary (No new points)

I will be arguing for eSports to be recognized as a sport to avoid any confusion.

Good Luck!

Sounds like a beastly idea. I am interested on why you think this. I am prepared to combat your arguments Therefore I accept.

Thank you for accepting this debate Briannj17, I look forward to arguing this topic with you.

For my first point I would like to define the noun sport. The definition by is, "an athletic

activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling,

wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."[1]. Notice how it says an athletic activity requiring skill OR

physical prowess. I bring this point because I find many people argue the point that eSports are not physical enough, and

that anyone could do it. I can prove this false. Professional eSport players are not able to just jump in and be good. Many

pros put in thousands of hours of work. They practice and scrim all day long to prepare for tournaments. Team Liquid claims

to practice at least 50 hours a week, and team liquid isn't even great compared to some eSports legends. In the same article

it is said two players (Known for being very good) often sleep only four hours a night and practice between 12 and 14

hours per day.[2] eSports players can also very easily lose jobs. Often esports are even watched more than large tournaments of what people consider, "Real Sports" as shown in this graph [3].When signed players are often given a gaming house to live in with the team while playing for them. They are expected to practice all day, only taking breaks to eat and sleep.[4] These teams can drop them at anytime. These players have to fight to stay on these favorable teams. Under performing can lose them a spot, lose them a tournament, lose them money, or even lose them a job. This is not even mentioning the constant flaming people get from sources of social media causing many players to leave the eSports scene from the constant berating. An example for this would be Dyrus from TSM (Team SoloMid). He underperformed a few games, got flamed by reddit, and eventually left because he felt he was letting people down. The same thing happened to TSM's old mid laner Reginald. This shows how stressful eSports can be. All of these elements together along with the competitive element and faithful community should show why eSports should be recognized as an actual sport. [1] [2][3][4]

What is a sport? The topic is widely debated throughout the world. Is cheerleading or dancing or darts a sport? Where do we draw the line? When it comes to videogames it simply is not a sport.

It is a competition. Sports are defined according to every other site besides yours as, An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

Although many sports are competitive a competition is not defined as a sport. "an event or contest in which people compete"

Videogames or egames are just a competition the same as spelling bees, checkers, chess they are not considered sports. According to ESPN president he declares that egames are not a sport. Supporting me in my arguments.
He gives similar reasons as the ones I chose. Saying,"It"s not a sport " it"s a competition. Chess is a competition. Checkers is a competition,"

Preparation for such events doesn't make anything a sport. I have to prepare to go to school. Yet school is not a sport. I have to prepare my mind and body to be in a state of mind to write a strong argument yet arguing is not a sport. Just because you have a skill doesn't make it a sport for both physical effort and skill is required to make something a sport.

For the reasons listed above I believe it is clear why egames are not considered a sport and should not be considered a sport. Thank you. I look forward to my opponents response.

You do bring some interesting information to table, but I can bring some counter-arguments to your statements.

You said eSports are a competition. This is true, and as you said many sports are also competitions in your third paragraph. By saying this we can say some activities can be Sports while still being a sport. I see eSports as the same way, and some others do too. I could argue Poker is a competition, but it is respected as a sport. ESPN even recognizes it as a sport and there is not much a physical aspect to it. Poker is a mental sport, you must be focused and smart, much like eSports.

Going on with the topic of ESPN, and what the John Skipper said. He may say that eSports are not sports. He can have his opinions, but officially the U.S does recognize eSports as Sports, and Foreign players from places as far as Asia, Europe, and even Africa coming to the U.S for gaming tournaments can get Visas with the identifier, "Professional Athlete"[1]

For my last point this round I would like to bring Razer's eSports associate manager Drew Holt-Kentwell's words on
this matter into it. He says,"According to Merriam Webster, a 'sport' is 'a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other, eSports is a competition, absolutely. Moreover, gaming athletes have to train bodily and mentally to be competitive or they lose. eSports requires extraordinary coordination, hyper-fast reflex responses, teamwork, and physical and mental dexterity and endurance " often for extended periods of time under the pressure of strictly enforced game rules." He then goes on to say, "The legitimacy of a sport really comes down to its cultural impact, adding that professional gamers are already recognized for work visa purposes for competitive events just like real-world athletes." [2] If these players are being recognized on this level by governments, then why should they not be recognized by networks such as ESPN, and the people of the U.S.[1][2]

Alright time to get down to work here. Your argument is now based on the fact that there are other less physical competitions that are considered sports however there is some problems with that.

Should we start drawing the line on what a sport is? By definition there are already games that are considered sports that shouldn't be. Such as pokers, chess, and the only one important in this debate videogames.

Let's examine virtual verses reality.

Every sport that is a sport has interactions between two or more people. Someone you can touch and interact face to face with. Egames does not have such teamwork as hockey, basketball, Soccer or any other "classic" or real sports.

Stressful situations does not make something a sport. If you can make a good comparison between a classic sport and egames we may have something. However all we have is people glued to monitors. If esports is going to be considered a sport all videogames will become a sport.

Rough and tumble interactive skilled sports is what has been the sports since the beginning. From the stoneware when ancient hunters would hunt wooly mammoths, sports have been around since ancient times. It is not time to make a virtual reality where what I watch on TV is other people watching a screen.

For the definition of sports and the difference between reality and virtual it is clear that now is not the time to confuse the two.

Before I begin this summary I would to say that it has been great debating with you and apologize for taking so long to reply, the holidays had caught me up.

Now, on the main topic. eSports should very well be respected as a sport in my eyes and definitely in the eyes of every proclaimed professional athlete participating in these games. It is obvious that sports can be defined by not only Physical effort, but expert mental prowess (e.g. Poker), which is shown throughout many eSports such as League of Legends, Counter-Strike, and Starcraft. These players in the top of these sports lead the top of the 1% of players who even manage to make it to this level of play, putting in countless hours of practice to remain respected and good. With these points in mind, I say we respect these eSports as Sports.

Thank you for being timely and never forfeiting. This is quite a hot topic to dig through. I would like to finish off by saying that esports should not be considered a sport because of all the reasons above. These include

Differences between sport and competition
The actual definition of sport,
The lack of physical or real world communication

So in conclusion, for all the athletes that have made there way to the top by hard work and physical conditions that believe sports should stay in the real world, I personally believe that sports should stay physical. My name is Brian N. Johnson, thank you for your time.
Posted by Briannj17 9 months ago
No my opponents definition said physical exertion or skill. There is no way to prove that professional gamer's are physically exerted. Although they may have skill any activity requires skill of some sort.
Posted by ballpit 9 months ago
Same definition pro gave and it goes to prove the points of pro.

"Sports are defined according to every other site besides yours as, An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"