Economics Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Should Minimum Wage be reduced to the 1964 rate of $1 an hour in the US

drewsaphor
TruthHurts

The Minimum Wage should be reduced to $1 an hour in the US Reasons: 1. Prices for goods will reduce to reflect the reduction in labor costs. 2. The US Dollar will become stronger, because it will be able to buy more goods....

Voting Period
21 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

FTA and EU integration for Western Balkan Countries are better for the development of the countries

filip.skopje

The liberalization of the Balkan economies was seen by the EU, the USA and the major international financial institutions as necessary to attract and steer, politically and financially, the ex-Yugoslav nations on the way to western model of society. The Central Eastern Free Trade Agreement (CEFTA) in its most recent shape was established in 2007 and since then have made achivements but also raised problems. The commercial links established in the last four years along the region, although still...

Challenge Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Raising the federal minimum wage would not be economically beneficial

JaredPeta
JohnMaynardKeynes

Resolved: Raising the federal minimum wage would not be economically beneficial Shared burden of proof....

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

It is economically illogical to pay for digital content.

Metternich
ayden13

Greetings. For my first debate, I have a pet economic hypothesis that I would like to test. Since I will be using some basic-level economic theories and concepts, it would be to my opponent's advantage to have some background in the field; though a lack thereof should not preclude potential challengers.I propose the following structure:--Round 1: Acceptance and initial arguments. No rebuttals.Round 2: Rebuttals and additional arguments, if desired.Round 3: Fina...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Hour Ago

job seekers and the unemployed

leafy_kille
rings48

The job centre The job centres name suggests that it is a place where you go to get a job, however, my experience with it has been less than positive. Many of the people there are simply ticking boxes and following the system instead of thinking about what is best for the people looking for work. I have also had instances of appointments being made for me that I'm not told about so my claim can be closed to make the numbers look better, requirements to look at websites and papers that do no...

Voting Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Minimum Wage should keep pace with inflation

brant.merrell
jackh4mm3r

First round, acceptance....

Voting Period
4 Comments
Updated 21 Hours Ago

Capitalism is the best system to produce the best results

ProfessorLiberty
Quantumhead

This debate will have a free style. The only requirment is that any and all questions directed towards a contendor be answered. I shall begin with opening remarks and a brief history. From the start of recorded human history, most people lived in what we would consider pretty terrible standards. However, something happened in the 1700s. We had an industrial revolution and living standards increased, and since then living conditions have increased dramaticlly. So, why was that? One common myth...

11 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

China's economy is bound to collapse.

Nuvemurbem
OracleOfReason

Reasons for my belief in a Chinese economic collapse1. I believe that China's economy is going to eventually collapse for multiple reasons, one of those being their overproduction. China's economy has grown tremendously in the past few years and this appears to make it seem it will continue its prosperous progress, but they are growing too fast to regulate. This issue is most apparent with China's real-estate market, which makes up 15% of China's gross domestic...

6 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

The global economy no longer needs or benefits from Central Banks

Francisco_DAnconia
wrichcirw

Central banks around the world have taken unprecedented actions since the Financial Crisis in 2008. Ostensibly, these actions were necessary to prevent economic calamity and to preserve overall wellbeing. In the six years since the Financial Crisis, central banks around the world have continued to pursue, by historical standards, extraordinarily accommodative monetary policy in order to restore national economies to more robust growth, consistent inflation and full employment. Pro puts forwa...

2 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

In the long run, Keynesian economic policies have proven to be ineffective

Dimensions
FuzzyCatPotato

The first round is for acceptance, and arguments must have evidence to substantiate them. Also, some definitions to clear up any confusion: Long-run: The period of time in which all prices, especially wages, are flexible, and have achieved their equilibrium levels. Keynesian: Acting along the lines of the Keynesian school of economic thought, which is based upon the work of British economist John Maynard Keynes. Keynesian economics follows demand-side theory, and focuses on influencing agg...

7 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago