Economics Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

Short selling is good.

anthonyliu1

I'm sure many of you have heard from the media that short selling is an an evil act of evil and should be abolished. As one on the "Pro" side, I would like to argue that short selling is actually good for the market. Structure of the debate: Round 1: Say hi and accept the challenge. Round 2: Present your own view points. Round 3: Counter the opposite side's arguments and strengthen yours. Round 4: Give a short conclusion. PS: Please try to present your arguments "eyeball friendly" b...

Challenge Period
2 Comments
Updated 7 Hours Ago

Moderate inflation is necessary for a healthy economic growth

anthonyliu1

Hi there, I just want to take this opportunity to have an intellectual discussion about inflation. Most economic schools teach their students that moderate inflation is good for the economy but do not explain why it is necessary. I hope by this end of this debate all participants and readers can have a deeper understanding of the nature of inflation. I'm on the side of "Con" which means that i Do Not agree that a moderate inflation is necessary for a healthy economic growth. Following...

Challenge Period
4 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

Tips at restaurants should be done away with for minimum wage and employee benefits..

longstreet01234
Devnith

I don't believe that restaurants should be forced to pay their employees minimum wage or give them benefits such as healthcare or dental insurance, due to different reasons on both topics. The average gross revenue for small businesses is usually less than $50,000 a year. From any source I could find most restaurants make quite a bit more gross income than small businesses, so let's say double the amount and say that on average restaurants make a gross income of $100,000 per year. Strictly from...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 2 Days Ago

The Federal Reserve Should Be abolished:

harrytruman
anthonyliu1

There are a few terms to this debate that you should agree to before accepting the challenge, they're really simple I just have to state them to resolve a few issues. First of all you are not allowed to "drop out" of the debate, once you accept the challenge you must respond to my arguments in their entirety within 3 days, that way if you start to lose you don't get to flake out on me. Secondly, google documents are not a conduct violation, you could just as easily as I can star...

Voting Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Donald Trump will be a Crap president

NotMyActualName.exe
Forthelulz

Well, I am debating against a Trump support, so...the point, where is it? Right here----> Donald Trump could possibly be THE worst candidate for presidency. His ideas are idiotic, not to mention absurd. And all he says in his speech, is "I'm rich, I'm great..."ect. And he speaks his mind. It's good that he doesn't have a "politician's filter", but it would have been better to have. And his statements are laughable. "I have a great relationship with the blacks". Wow, that could possibly be farthe...

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Stop cutting down

Zeleboba
Prepare2Lose

To me it seems that deforestation is the step to the past. In some period of human evolution, we had to need for the timber. And I see the timber industry only in case of cutting down of sick trees and shoots, which hinder to growth of normal trees. So, if people are going to prohibit uncontrolled deforestation we will win in nearest future through elaboration of new useful technology's!...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 5 Days Ago

Wealth doesn't "trickle down" from the rich to the poor

Kittycatsarecool
brontoraptor

In this debate, I am going to be arguing that "trickle down" economics has been a failure to the poor and middle class.Let's set some terms before we begin.Rules:1) No trolling or insults.2) If you forfeit, you automatically lose.3) You don't have to cite sources for common knowledge, although it would be preferred. If something is not common knowledge, cite it. A general rule of thum...

Voting Period
11 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago

will entitlements in the federal budget bankrupt the US

senquan
Forthelulz

will entitlements in the federal budget bankrupt the US...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

Should we stop hunting Lions?

Adley104
andrewz61

I think we should stop hunting lions because the population of lions was really high in the 1990-1950 (100,000 to 400,000).Now there is about 16,500 to 47,000 lions left in the wild. Lions don't do anything to us, they just want to avoid us but we provoke them and it get them angry and they start killing people because of us provoking them. We kill them for no reason sometimes just for fun or just to keeps it's head as a trophy. Heard about Cecil the Lion, Scientist were studying that Lion un...

0 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago

The Federal Reserve

Theguy1789
harrytruman

I think the Federal Reserve should be abolished, but this debate is just to get 3 debates. It's still going to be a legitimate debate though. So, I will take the side of the brain dead bank-monger while you take the side of anyone with half a brain....

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Week Ago