Economics Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

should the USA have zoos?

E_Putz_2006
BetteMidler

Zoos protect animals, you can learn in them, and inspire people to help endangered animals....

Debating Period
2 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

Workers are not paid there value

Coveny
TheColtEqualizer

The crux of this debate will be to determine value. My side will be that workers value has been deflated. An example of how the market doing this is the artificially inflated value of diamonds. My contention is that as opposed to diamonds the market has artificially deflated the value of workers....

Debating Period
19 Comments
Updated 2 Weeks Ago

A hybrid of capitalism and socialism is the best economic solution

Coveny
TheUnexaminedLife

For this debate "best economical solution" is defined as:The most effective, and desirable solutions for the use of resources to provide for human beings both short and long term. I would also like bring your attention to the character size of 2,000 for this debate, and have done that in an attempt to prevent going to deep into what is a very broad topic. I'm looking for a high level view rather than going into technical detail.  ...

Voting Period
0 Comments
Updated 3 Weeks Ago

$0.00: A Better Minimum Wage

bfkennedy
NPhyzics

As crazy as it may sound, it may just be the best option yet. This idea of a zero dollar minimum wage would be the best option for improving business quality while at the same time giving people what they deserve to be payed. The argument for the $15 minimum wage has been going on for a while now, but what people don't seem to understand is that under regulations and taxes that are already placed on businesses, and how much they affect the hiring process along with how much companies can act...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Capitalism vs. Socailsm

micellio
Eve9732

Capitalism is in reference to the free markets without government interference based on the works of Adam Smith and the Austrian School. Socialism is the government interference and partial control as a mesh of the Keynesian and some Marxist ideologies. I want an open debate and discussion,...

Debating Period
6 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Equality vs. Freedom

JuniusNing
TheMarketLibertarian

The point that supporters of personal freedom routinely miss is that when the tax laws governing an economy favor wealthy business owners then fewer consumers are able to afford the products they sell. However, if these same proprietors pay their employees a decent living wage and are taxed an equal percentage from their earnings as the middle and lower classes are required to do then consumerism rises, more products are sold and the rich become a LOT richer. Everyone benefits....

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Should The Death Penalty Be Banned?

jazasultan
byaka2013

There are many things in this society which should be banned, but the death penalty is not one of them. It is definitely the right way to go as far as capital discipline is concerned. Right now in our country, I find it outrageous that criminals think that they can get away with just about anything. In some states, including Alabama, the death penalty has helped them lower the rate of violent crimes. We need some form of capital punishment to send a message to career criminals that they will not...

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Excise/sales taxes should be illegal

Capitalistslave
TheMrHappy

I will be arguing for the above resolution. My opponent will argue for the negation of it. Rules:1) no ad hominem, personal attacks, insults, be civil2) The total number of rounds that should be used for argument in this debate is the total you see minus one. This is to keep the total number of argument rounds even between us, since I am not using round 1 for argument.3) The last round of argument should just be rebuttals/defense and/or conclus...

Debating Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Gentrification in cities

asox44
LaL36

I believe that gentrification in cities is bad for the community and only drives the working class families out because it increases the cost of living. It solves no problems and only marginalizes people more than they already have been. Definitions gentrification-the change in the character of a traditionally working-class area following an influx of new middle-class residents. [1] (From what I have experienced this usually entails people coming from the suburbs with their money to newly "...

Voting Period
1 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago

Is the root of all evil money?

awkward_narwhal
MrMathMan

I think money is required for a stable economy. Without some sort of currency everything would just go to hell. A friend brought this up to me and I have to disagree....

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 1 Month Ago