Economics Debates

Sort By:
Showing: 1 - 10

The Institution of Socialism

WilliamsP

Socialism is an institution I support for the most part. In this debate, I will argue in favor it, while my opponent will argue against it. I hope for a rational, mature, logical debate. I do not want propaganda to be involved in here. I want facts. This debate will follow a specific structure:R...

Challenge Period
4 Comments
Updated 36 Minutes Ago

If not in a liquidity trap, monetary policy is more effective than fiscal policy.

A.K

Definitions: A "liquidity trap" is when interest rates cannot be lowered enough to make a significant change in the economy. (In other words, the zero-bound problem). "Monetary policy" is the use of open market operations (buying and selling securities) by a central bank to influence interest rates. "Fiscal policy" is the use of deficit spending to stimulate the economy. Alterations to these definitions may be considered. First round: state that you accept the debate. Actual debate will...

Challenge Period
3 Comments
Updated 54 Minutes Ago

Keynesian economic principles form a sound method of organizing an economy.

A.K

*This is my first debate. Keynesian economic principles form a sound method of organizing an economy. "Keynesian economic principles" include: Recognition that insufficient Aggregate Demand causes recessions Government spending can stimulate Aggregate Demand Monetary policy alone is often insufficient to stimulate an economy in a recession Arguments: [1] Most economists, liberal and conservative, recognize the validity of Keynesian principles. Famous liberal proponents include K...

Challenge Period
3 Comments
Updated 18 Hours Ago

Freemarket capitalism is both unsustainable and environmentally unsound.

Kaneo
Pfalcon1318

The materials economy is comprised of the following steps Extraction Production Distribution Consumption Disposal Round 1 Define your terms. Identify at least one causal factor (Why is it this way?) Identify at least one intervention. (How can it be improved?) Opening arguments Feel free to challenge my definitions: Free market capitalism- an economic system based on the private ownership of the means of production and distribution of goods, characterized by a free competi...

Debating Period
5 Comments
Updated 15 Hours Ago

Does children food advertisement affect children mentally and physically?

isabellopez4576
Flipz

Children advertisement can affect them physically and mentally, but who is to blame?...

Debating Period
4 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

We need to increase government spending and lower taxes

MasterDebated
samwight

Taxes take away from a persons paycheck and they have less money to spend the higher taxes are. If people have more income then they'll spend more on businesses and improve the economy. Government spending is like borrowing if they don't take out taxes. This money is good to have in the economy because businesses aren't spending enough money to stimulate the economy because they're afraid of the low growth....

Voting Period
2 Comments
Updated 23 Hours Ago

Raising the minimum wage to $10.10 per hour will benefit the US economy

Juan_Pablo
Jevinigh

Increasing the federal minimum wage from $7.25 per hour to $10.10 per hour will mostly benefit the U.S. Economy. This will be my position in this debate. (I will also be arguing that the federal minimum wage should be indexed to inflation, to keep up with the rising cost of living--a point which my opponent can either choose to refute or ignore.)Con will argue that r...

Debating Period
9 Comments
Updated 15 Hours Ago

Communism works if applied correctly

mzhao8
Chimera

Communism will never work in a practical sense. Sure, idealistically communism would work perfectly right? However, due to the constraints that human nature puts us in, whether it be selfishness, greed, etc., communism (regardless of the type) will never work....

Debating Period
0 Comments
Updated 1 Day Ago

The US Government should substantially increase investment within the African Continent.

Jifpop09
Zaradi

I will argue the resolution that the United States government should increase investment within Africa. The United States government will constitute all things distributed or provided by the nations ruling body. Africa will be defined as the 54 countries that constitute the African continent. - BOP is shared.- First round is acceptance- No rebuttals will be made until t...

Debating Period
63 Comments
Updated 3 Hours Ago

The US minimum wage should be raised to 20$

Jifpop09
Macumba

I challenge ProgressiveDem to this debate. He will argue that the US minimum wage should be 20$, while I will argue against this. I think little more clarifications are needed. Obviously, sources and graphs should be used whenever possible to support your case. ...

Voting Period
12 Comments
Updated 3 Days Ago