rainy67
krabman

education in the US should be more like Khan Academy's approach to self learning and growing

rainy67

Pro

Hi,

I have been fascinated with the way Khan Academy teaches. I have learned so cool new things like cos and sin which I would never have learned till at the very least next year.

I want to debate someone who is against self pace learning .
krabman

Con

I'll accept the challenge.
rainy67

Pro

Thank you for accepting. It is my first debate so I'm pretty excited. I am 14 and I wanted to learn more about debate so this is a great opportunity. Anyway, lets begin.

If there is a struggling student who is not able to catch up in concepts, self paced learning could help the struggling student make sure he has mastered the content before moving on. He or she can also replay the lesson and jump to parts he needs to learn. On Khan Academy, there is also a very active community which are happy to help if you have questions. This also helps fast learners since they can move onto challenging topics without needing to wait for the school to teach him or her. Of course, since it is only the beginning of these services, they might not have the exact same capabilities of schools but that can easily change when time goes on and if these services get more support. What is beneficial is that teachers don't have to eliminated. Many schools and teachers use this type of method and once these methods expand to be able to teach at the same level and even more than a normal school, many more schools will use this. What some of the below video proof talks about is that you can now help all your students individually rather than have to compromise for one group of learners and only help the other. What's also important is that kids had more fun learning and really like math more than they did earlier.

Here are some that already use Khan Academy
https://www.youtube.com... 3rd Grade
https://www.youtube.com... 5th Grade
http://vimeo.com... Some Irish schools testing the waters, the feedback is very promising for Khan Academy.

Good luck Krabman
krabman

Con

I would like to thank rainy67 for showing great conduct via sportsmanship. This too, is my first debate on debate.org.

1. "If there is a struggling student who is not able to catch up in concepts, self paced learning could help the struggling student make sure he has mastered the content before moving on. He or she can also replay the lesson and jump to parts he needs to learn."

"Self paced learning" can always be done in a regular classroom setting, or even outside of school. At home, or during a commute, students have plenty of time to review notes from lectures, practice via homework, and can ask plenty of questions and get feed back the next day. Students even have time to visit Khan Academy. A teacher in a classroom setting helps monitor what it means to have "mastered the content" with a criteria. With "self paced learning", many students may not know what it means to pace or how to develop a criteria for themselves. Students may become arrogant in their studies and think they already know what they have just learned, but knowing and understanding are two different things. Teachers in a classroom can encourage understanding rather than just knowing.

2. " This also helps fast learners since they can move onto challenging topics without needing to wait for the school to teach him or her"

Many "fast learners" do "fast learning". "Fast learners" learn a topic until they know it, not until they understand it.

Example: rainy67 knows that 5 + 5= 10. rainy67 UNDERSTANDS that if rainy67 counts 5 items and adds them to another 5 items, rainy67 will have 10 items. However, if you tell someone 5+5=10 and they remember that, they will know "5+5=10" but they will not understand it. That is "fast learning".

"Fast learners" have a habit of remembering things, and not understanding them. Which is why learning at a pace that may not be their own is great for promoting understanding, rather than knowing.

Good luck to you too, rainy67
rainy67

Pro

Thank you for the complement krabman, here is my response

Rebuttal to 1. While lecture notes can be helpful, nothing is better than being able to make the lecturer repeat himself, which you can do to online videos on websites like Khan Academy. For practicing, you have an unlimited amount of practice problems on Khan Academy where you can keep trying it over and over again. This system can still be used in the classroom as mentioned in the above videos, a teacher can monitor Khan Academy problems done right and wrong and can even come and help the student without him or her even having to raise their hand. With the teacher their students will know when they have mastered a Khan topic just by checking their progress and coming to the kid if they feel the kid is struggling. Teachers can also teach understanding alongside Khan Academy in school, and once the demand comes, Khan or someone else could add more about understanding.

Rebuttal to 2. On the contrary, fast learners are just kids who are able to understand concepts and can solve them well. I am not talking about the memorizers. And even then, you are still being speculative, a fast learner does not mean he or she memorizes.

I would also like to note that my opponent has not mentioned the fact the teachers can now help students at an individual level or that most of the kids in my video used to not like math but now they do thanks to Khan Academy.

Again, Good Luck Krabman
krabman

Con

Rebuttal to Rebuttal 1. My opponent states that "-nothing is better than being able to make the lecturer repeat himself..." and "-a teacher can monitor Khan Academy problems done right and wrong and can even come and help the student without him or her even having to raise their hand." But what if a student can make the lecturer repeat himself/herself in a different way relevant to the students' understanding. This can be easily done by raising hands in class. Raising hands also adds discipline by teaching patience. With Kahn Academy, students may have slower internet connections and experience lag. This may not teach patience, instead it may cause frustration for students and distract them from the learning process if they have time to do other things. A more effective way of teachers monitoring problems done right and wrong is grading by pen. This allows teachers to see how students get to the wrong or right answers, to have more effective editing, leave clearer comments, and even leave smileys and stickers (boosting confidence).

Rebuttal to Rebuttal 2. My opponent states that "-fast learners are just kids who are able to understand concepts and can solve them well." By this definition, everyone is a fast learner because they are able to understand concepts and can solve them well. The difference is the ability to memorize things FASTER.
Example. John takes a year to learn trigonometry. Sally takes a month to learn trigonometry. Sally is able to memorize functions faster, therefore she is a faster learner than John.
My opponent also states that " I am not talking about the memorizers." ("memorizers" isn't a word) and "-a fast learner does not mean he or she memorizes." My opponent's statements are false because learning concepts requires memory. To learn algebra one must remember functions, to learn grammar one must remember punctuation. To learn history one must remember events and dates, to learn biology one must remember different types of cells. Et cetera.

Rebuttal to my opponents comment: I have not commented on how teachers can help students on an individual level because that can be done with or without Kahn Academy. I have not commented on the children in your video because the statistics are not relevant enough to apply to the entire US.

Thanks,
Krabman

Good Luck rainy67
rainy67

Pro

Rebuttalx3 1. While my opponent fails to realize is that Khan Academy should not replace but supplement for the better. What khan academy does is simply allow students to learn at a comfortable pace unlike normally where no matter how comfortable or not you were with a subject you would have to go to the next one. Most students would be required to show work for each problem but would answer it on Khan. Lag and bad internet are trivial and at the same level of annoyance as a teacher who is rushing too fast, you can fix both too. Also, if you would actually look at my proof you would finally realize that kids feel happier doing Khan than conventional math learning.

Rebuttalx3 2. You say the only difference between a fast learner and a normal learner is that they memorize the concepts faster. This is only a more important reason for self pace learning systems to be created. The people who have already learnt whatever is being taught in class and want something more challenging they probably could not get that until that lesson. Khan already does that in schools. Letting teachers help students individually based on pace. This would also help slow learners for the same reasons. Also, your examples only help prove the need for Khan Academy, Sally can learn trig in one month and can move on, she can then do something else more challenging while John does not have to move on until he is done learning and mastering trigonometry. And both of them can easily get help from the teacher no matter what the subject is.

Also, you still need to respond to the fact that kids enjoy Khan more, this was said in every video. Also, the stats may not be necessary but the fact that kids are learning better in every video and the fact that TRUE self paced learning can be paired with the guiding hand of the teacher is important to recognize.

My opponent has not answered to 2 of my points and I have been able to constantly rebuttal his.

Vote Pro.

Good Luck Krabman
Lets see which first timer will get the votes.
krabman

Con

Final Rebuttal to 1. My opponent states that I fail to realize that "Khan Academy should not replace but supplement for the better." Yet, if Khan Academy is implemented into the entire US, it will replace old methods of teaching as lectures given by teachers (which is a prominent factor of teaching in the current system) will be replaced by Khan Academy videos. My opponent also fails to understand that every student is not a visual learner and that students may prefer to engage in discussion with a teacher rather than watch videos. Also, the reason kids feel "happier" is because they feel Khan Academy provides a simple solution to complex problems. However, that is not the goal of the current educational system which may provide a rigorous curriculum, give students time to collaborate, and not just develop skills from memory, but genuine understanding. Effective teaching delivers complex criteria; a lot more than a few minutes of YouTube videos.

Final Rebuttal to 2. My opponent fails to realize that the current system equally distributes information to a group of students at the same time. This is more effective because there will not be any students viewed as inferior based on how many Khan Academy videos they have seen. Also, in the current system without Khan Academy, if a student needs a challenging curriculum they can become a member of Honors or Advanced Placement classes. Lastly, Khan Academy does not prepare students for private colleges/universities who may not want to implement Khan Academy into their curriculum.

My opponent has falsely stated that I did not respond to two of his points. However, I did respond to both points with this statement in round 3:

"Rebuttal to my opponent's comment: I have not commented on how teachers can help students on an individual level because that can be done with or without Khan Academy. I have not commented on the children in your video because the statistics are not relevant enough to apply to the entire US."

The stats are necessary because the argument is "education in the US should be more like Khan Academy's approach to self learning and growing", if the stats are not relevant enough to include the entire US, then I do not have to comment on them.

Good Luck rainy67
Posted by DeeAnn 3 years ago
DeeAnn
Yo con- www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVtCO84MDj8