DevonNetzley
lotus_flower

electronics are ruining peoples lives.

lotus_flower
Started: 11/28/2011 Category: Technology

DevonNetzley

Pro

electronics such as video games, computers, and advanced cellphones are trashing peoples lives. are you with or against.
lotus_flower

Con

I accept. I will be arguing that electronics better the lives of humans, and help us do things that would be grueling and tedious without them. (:
DevonNetzley

Pro

in the famed words of Ace Ventura "Alrighty then!"

i will agree as far with my oponent that it would make life grueling, but to a certain extent. life can be found to be rather enjoyable without any electronics. have you noticed that computers have been made to be more and more fun? have you failed to acknowledge that some users never leave their home, destroying any social contacts they have made? me personaly i can barely tolerate technology. in fact it makes me downright sick. but only select items of technology.

cell phones. a brilliant device crafted by the mind of Martin Cooper. though it has made life much easier for most. but do not fail to notice that a large majority of car crashes involve the use of cell phones. texting or calling, it distracts the drivers attention from the road and others around him/her. i would like to point out cell phone zombies. have you seen any people mindlessly wander around while on their phones? they loose perception of their surroundings and possibly get themselves or others hurt.

video games. i am a game freak but to a limit. gamers (preferably hardcore) tend to spend up to 48-72 hours on their system. either on their computers of ps3 xbox, 360 ect. they capture the users attention and almost seem to suck their will to do anything other than play. they loose any want to do any outside activity what so ever. take that young fellow on 1000 ways to die. do you think that gamer died from lack of attention, stress, or the massive blood clots he had developed by playing that acursed game while sitting down for 3 days straight?

i have no further argument until my opponent responds. thanks for reading.
lotus_flower

Con

I thank my opponent for his argument. Now, let's get to his arguments.

REBUTTLES:

"life can be found to be rather enjoyable without any electronics." That is an opinion, but we will still go with it. If we lived a life without electronics, then we can not have all of the technology and materials that they provide, either. That includes: cloth,cars,paper,pens,pencils,cigarettes (best thing ever), soda, drinkable distilled water,majority of the food you eat, A LOT of modern music and culture, and much, much more. (:"have you noticed that computers have been made to be more and more fun? have you failed to acknowledge that some users never leave their home, destroying any social contacts they have made?"The point of computers is to entertain, but it also helps people grow, and evolve as a society. That is one of the many important things provided by electronics. It helps people create medicine, learn about different cultures, religions, and different political stances, something that is VERY important in today's society. An example of this is when I went to a school that taught creationism, not evolution. I had to learn the theory of evolution on my own, an impossible feat without a computer. The reason that some people never leave their homes is because they are anti social. I have stayed in my house all day before, just reading and eating cookies. Some people are like that, but it isn't because of technology."but do not fail to notice that a large majority of car crashes involve the use of cell phones. texting or calling, it distracts the drivers attention from the road and others around him/her."First of all, it isn't a large majority. It is about 28% (and that is a high number) but it still isn't a large majority. And as far as it distracting drivers, I agree, but it isn't the electronics, it's the negligence of the driver."video games. i am a game freak but to a limit. gamers (preferably hardcore) tend to spend up to 48-72 hours on their system."A day, a week, a month, a year? what is the time period that contains this statistic?"they capture the users attention and almost seem to suck their will to do anything other than play. they loose any want to do any outside activity what so ever. take that young fellow on 1000 ways to die. do you think that gamer died from lack of attention, stress, or the massive blood clots he had developed by playing that acursed game while sitting down for 3 days straight?"They are meant to entertain, that is why they capture the user's attention. They are meant to help us escape from our crappy lives. As far as your example, a TV show isn't a credible source. (:I await my opponent's response!

Sources: http://www.washingtonpost.com...
DevonNetzley

Pro

Thank you for pointing out my errors. To revise my point on hardcore gamers, they will stay on their systems. most likley they will be on it every day or every other day. According to http://www.brighthub.com.... "Developers create game mechanics which are fun but when it comes to MMOs they also want a hook which pulls those gamers back in time and again. They want those servers populated and they want their fans immersed and invested. The solution for many is to offer a real reward in terms of power and status which is linked to the daily grind. Forget about genuine skill this can be about putting in the hours pure and simple. The downside to a mechanic like this is that people can become over invested. They can become obsessive about their characters and they can end up spending so much time in the virtual world that their real life suffers. In extreme cases gamers have been known to play until they quite literally drop. The link between MMOs and violence is tenuous at best and there have been very few incidents of MMO drama spilling into real life violence. However a trend which does seem to be on the increase is gamers playing until they collapse and sometimes even die. People become so engrossed in their game that they skip toilet breaks, they put off eating and they decide they can get by on three hours of sleep. We've all done it, when you are really engaged in a game the outside world ceases to exist and tearing yourself away from that keyboard can be a serious wrench." MMO games is where i was generally pointing. Sorry to not make that more clear. I apologize.

But you have to see that some of these advancements are a problem for our society. As for my opponent stating "If we lived a life without electronics, then we can not have all of the technology and materials that they provide, either. That includes: cloth,cars,paper,pens,pencils,cigarettes (best thing ever), soda, drinkable distilled water,majority of the food you eat, A LOT of modern music and culture, and much, much more," this is not all true. We do not require such complex machinery to create our items that we have today.

Off topic, take a look at the mideval times. Did they have technology? I even see that there was no pollution that we have today from our gasoline powered vehicles.

Any who. I believe you are right about the cellular dilema. Negligence does infact play a large role in most deaths in the U.S. If more actually paid attention, they would'nt have to pay the ultimate price.

thanks for the argument, it was a blast. Take care all of you guys out there. Be careful on the roads. Vote Pro. Thanks for reading. good luck Con.
lotus_flower

Con

lotus_flower forfeited this round.
Posted by lotus_flower 5 years ago
lotus_flower
@vmpire321 lol I just understood that.
Posted by lotus_flower 5 years ago
lotus_flower
I didn't mean to forfeit, I just got caught up with other things. My last round would have consisted of me bullshitting, anyway.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
Funny how half the kids in Africa don't have any electronics.....
Posted by lotus_flower 5 years ago
lotus_flower
lol this will be good.
Posted by JakeBoatman96 5 years ago
JakeBoatman96
Hey DevonNetzley, I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but you're using electronics/technology as we speak. And I'm pretty sure everyone on this site either owns a computer or has constant access to one.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
DevonNetzleylotus_flowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to PRO for forfeit, and spelling/grammar goes to CON because PRO needs to learn how to capitalize.... CON also used better sources (The Washington Post is better than the BrightHub)....Overall, however, i think PRO made better points.
Vote Placed by JakeBoatman96 5 years ago
JakeBoatman96
DevonNetzleylotus_flowerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Though Con forfeited the last round, he still managed to make more convincing arguments. DevonNetzley never capitalized any beginning of sentences, and also failed to capitalize the word "I"... again.