cwyman
atoy120

eli manning deserves to be in hall of fame

Started: 3/13/2014 Category: Sports

cwyman

Pro

Five. Only five quarterbacks in the history of the National Football League have been MVP of two Super Bowls; New York Giants quarterback, Eli Manning is one of them. Eli"s stats are up to par compared to many other hall of fame quarterbacks. Pro Football Reference.com ranks his career stats in front of hall of fame players such as Mike Ditka, Joe Namath, and his dad Achie Manning Therefore Eli Manning is worthy of being a hall of fame quarterback.

According to the Elo Rater on Pro Football Reference.com Eli Manning is ranked 121st for offensive players, 212th overal as of January 23, and the 36th best quarterback of all time. There are 258 inductees in the hall of fame currently therefor he should be inducted into the hall of fame. 1 year ago the Bleacher Report rated 25 active quarterbacks on odds of being inducted to the hall of fame where they gave an 80% chance to Aaron Rodgers, they gave New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning a 99.9% chance of being inducted to the hall of fame. Espn sportswriter Seth Wickerson states that Eli, although being streaky, has what it takes to be in the hall of fame.

Many anti Eli fans can argue that Eli"s stats are not up to par, and many neutral fans believe that and don't side with Eli. Newsday states otherwise, comparing all other Hall of fame quarterbacks and their statistics through the age of 30. This project was launched on february 6 2012, When Eli was 30. His stats were better than Troy Aikman, George Blanda, Terry Bradshaw, Len Dawson, John Elway, Dan Fouts, Otto Graham, Bob Griece, Sonny Jurgensen, Jim Kelly, Bobby Layne, Warren Moon, Joe Namath, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Y.A Tittle, Johnny Unitas, Norm Van Brocklin, Bob Waterfield, and Steve Young. Some people can say that when these quarterbacks play it was not a passing league, but Eli had a better completion percentage than 86% percent of all of the quarterbacks in the hall of fame. This is significant because now Eli Manning is throwing against a defence that is expecting a pass play, whereas in the 1900s they expected runs not passes.

As mentoined earlier Eli is one of five multiple superbowl mvp winners (all of which are in the hall of fame or will be*). Also only 11 quarterbacks have won multiple superbowls (ten of which are in the hall of fame or are active) the only one to not be inducted is Jim Plunket. Who was barely even a starter and had way worse stats than eli has currently. the five quarterbacks are Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Tom Brady, and Eli Manning. Because Eli is on a list with those four NFL legends he deserves a spot in canton.

Eli Manning, the quarterback of the New York giants deserves a spot in canton because his stats are up to par and his super bowl success.
atoy120

Con

No he does not. You are comparing his stats at 30 compared to other quarterbacks, but every single player you just listed is better than him. Your whole argument is based on stats, which can only go so far. He is too streaky, He wins the super one year and cant even get to the playoffs the next. He is only going to get worse. Then you said that only 11 quarterbacks have won multiple superbowls and there were only 5 that were MVP of 2. That's roughly half, so it doesn't really mean much. And it's not the websites who overrate players that vote them in the HOF. You said his stats were better of all those quarterbacks but they all played longer and Eli's not done playing yet, so his will probably end up being worse than theirs
cwyman

Pro

first of all you have no evidence of any of that and it is completely opinionated and you used no facts you just said that I was wrong with no evidence. You did not even state a single point in your favor. to get things straight Eli is one of 11 quarterbacks to win two super bowls, that is there are 23 quarterbacks of in the hall of fame, and three of the 11 are still active. Now even crazier is that Eli is one of five players (since the super bowl was started) to be MVP of multiple super bowls (there are about 23,000 players to ever play in the NFL). I admit that Eli is streaky but that does not take away from his two super bowls and solid stats, and being streaky is not a bad quality. I have a question you must answer in the next round because it was to vague in your opening statement, How is every single player I listed better than him, where is your evidence where are the stats. just going to say that you said my argument is solely based on stats, its not the core of my argument is the super bowl victories, (emphasis on the s at the end because only ten other people can say that).
atoy120

Con

There are more than 10 people that won 2 or more superbowls. How is being streaky a good thing? Being consistently good is better, which Eli is not. That is the reason Eli is not and will not be considered one of the greats. And what evidence do I not have? I thought this whole debate was completely opinionated. I stated plenty of points in my favor. So you are saying that Eli manning is better than Steve Young? If it's stats you want....
Here are Eli's career stats:
CMP % YDS TD INT Rating
58.5 35,345 229 171 81.2
Here are John Elway's
CMP% YDS TD INT Rating
56.9 51,475 300 226 79.9
Sonny Jurgensen's
CMP% YDS TD INT Rating
62.0 32,224 255 189 82.6
Jim Kelly's
CMP% YDS TD INT Rating
60.1 35,467 237 175 84.4
Warren Moon's
CMP% YDS TD INT Rating
58.4 49,325 291 233 80.9
Roger Staubach's
CMP% YDS TD INT Rating
57.0 22,700 153 109 83.4
Fran Tarkenton's
CMP% YDS TD INT Rating
57.0 47,003 342 266 80.4
Steve Young's
CMP% YDS TD INT Rating
64.3 33,124 232 107 96.8
And Finally, Joe Montana's
CMP% YDS TD INT Rating
63.2 40,551 273 139 92.3
That's just a few, I didn't want to bore you.

I look forward to your response.
cwyman

Pro

did you ever go on the site? i dont think so because they showed all quarterbacks stats to when they were eli's age so it showed those stats not the career stats because Eli has another solid 7 years to play. there are no quarterbacks who are flawless and come out every week or every year and put up huge numbers even Dan Marino and Joe Montana had their off years. But with the superbowl thing there are 258 inductees currently, there are five people with two Super Bowl mvps.

Just to get things straight this debate is a very opionated topic but you need to use some sources.
atoy120

Con

Go on what site? No one cares about someone's stats at 30 because 1. For Eli, that was 2 years ago. And 2. It's career stats that mean something. Joe Montana might have had an off year when he was 30 ( I don't know whether he did or not) And Eli might have had a better year stats wise when he was 30, but Montana's numbers are way better overall. The Super Bowl MVP doesn't mean a whole lot because It's pretty much the same thing as player of the game. Which is meaning less the next game. It's the actual MVP award that matters, which Eli has none of. And you keep switching between people who have won multiple Super Bowls ( There has been more than 10) and Super Bowl MVPs. I did use sources, I used NFL.com and Wikipedia.

I look forward to your response.
cwyman

Pro

cwyman forfeited this round.
Posted by cwyman 3 years ago
cwyman
please join