kkhadija
ArguingPerson123

employers should adopt a four-day working week

Started: 6/11/2018 Category: Economics

kkhadija

Con

I believe that we should not adopt a four-day working week because having a shorter workweek can ruin the competitiveness and it produced billions in additional costs. stress levels will rise when working those long hours and people will become mentally drained
ArguingPerson123

Pro

I say that although it should definitely not be forced upon businesses, a four-day work would definitely give employees more time to rest up and take care of things. The business owner could simply make up for the lost day by adding on hours to the shift. This way, the employees can get the same work done in a shorter amount of time, versus dragging it out by having a 5-day work week.
kkhadija

Con

but when the employees work for those long hours productivity will decrease over time due to them becoming tired, making less work completed. also, it is very natural for a human to take a break but if we are working for let's say from 9 am to 8 pm or something like that we would end up taking more breaks and longer also making the work not completed.
ArguingPerson123

Pro

I see your point, but that is why the employees would have a three-day weekend, so that they can rest up more. This way, they can get the job done in a shorter time frame. They also could have a limit on breaks, maybe having two so that they do not abuse having a long shift. Of course, it is up to the business owner or whoever is in charge to take care of this.
kkhadija

Con

I agree with you but if we implement having only 2 breaks lets say consisting of 30 minutes each to keep the workflow going
the employees will become exhausted, also if the business decides upon this rule fewer employees would want to work there as they are not getting enough breaks to reset themselves ( the business loses money). humans can only go so far without resting. maybe at least 4-5 breaks consisting of 10-30 minutes each.
ArguingPerson123

Pro

I agree with what you are saying. One personal reason I do think that a four-day work week would be better is because I go to a school with four days a week instead of five. I have also seen how the staff do tend to function better here than they have at other schools who use a 5-day week. However, that may be due to other policies, but I think both staff and students do prefer the four-day week over the traditional five-day week.
kkhadija

Con

On an unrelated note, how many hours of schooling do you get every day? Now to my point, I believe that when you come home from a 10-hour shift you are seriously tired, on top of that you only have 14 hours to catch up on work, sleep, cooking and even family time. a human needs a balanced schedule.
ArguingPerson123

Pro

Around 8 hours for students, and the times differ for employees. I understand what you mean by cutting the time each day down to allow people to have more short breaks in between. However, by having a shorter workweek, you could have projects done in a somewhat shorter time frame. By giving frequent breaks to employees, you can allow them to take a breather, return to work, and continue their project. Although they may lose time during the workweek, they will be able to catch up on life during an extended weekend.
kkhadija

Con

but won"t we be frustrated that the things we had originally planned to do on the days we work, were bumped to another day? How about not showing up or seeing your children for four days to then come saying you want to spend time with them. Our schedules for the weekend would be full because of the things we had to complete on the four-day working week. A human need a balanced lifestyle.
ArguingPerson123

Pro

However, despite being tired by the workweek, the person would be able to get work done in a shorter amount of time, and have more time off, and despite not being as balanced, be able to separate work life from personal life.