jwebb893
jarhead717

euthanasia should be a category on debate.org's profiles

jwebb893

Pro

The category system on the website is, I think, designed to provide broad headings of topics that are currently controversial (abortion, the war, taxes, etc). This system provides easy ways for us, the users, to engage in debates because we can see issues upon which we differ.

I do not think anyone would contest that we DO NOT all agree on the legal or ethical status of Euthanasia as a method of ending a life. It is one of the most controversial topics in America and elsewhere and I think we could all benefit if it were one of our categories.

I firmly believe this would increase debate on a very worthy topic
jarhead717

Con

I agree with you in the sense that it would be an interesting topic to debate. However, it is an issue that does not directly affect us on a daily basis. And to be honest I dont think many people are as interested in physician aided death as they are with current topics such as the war, taxes, and immigration. Euthanasia becomes more relevant in our lives as we come closer to the end.
Dont get me wrong I think it is an interesting debate topic but I dont think it belongs on the page in which you catagorize users, especially with the amount of youth that utilize this site.
jwebb893

Pro

I do not believe that simply because an argument is not directly affecting the lives of the people on this site it is not worthy of categorization. How many of us here have ever had abortions? Probably a very small amount.

Any of us may be critically injured on any average day while driving in our cars, and then, of course, euthanasia would matter to us very much; therefor, i believe it worthy of increased debate and a place on the profile.

In addition, it is definately a current issue . For example, the laws governing Active and Passive Euthanasia are different in oregon (those not in critical condition may be euthanized there) than in the rest of the U.S. Furthermore, doctors euthanize patients everyday, and many people (not me) believe it to be morally reprehensible based on the value of human life, the Hippocratic Oath, etc.
jarhead717

Con

Valid point. But most everybody will have the same reaction when asked if you would want to continue living in a vegetative state, or even in a state where the value of life has been decreased. That response being pro euthanasia.

But that question does not carry any weight because it is easy to answer when your healthy. But I have seen people during their final moments, and the fear of the unknown becomes more prevelant. An extremely small percentage of people are willing to take their own life opposed continue fighting to see their loved ones and experience as much life has to offer before they pass (that statement being made under the stipulation that the individual has a sober mind set).

I guess what I am saying is that people do not want to lose the quality of life that we know...now, the healthy life if you will, and death by a painless injection or inhalent sounds like a better option...now. But we do not know what situational circumstances will be in play when that decision needs to be made.

Where as in the abortion circumstance most are terminations are done because of the unwillingness or unprepared to become a parent. And of course situations dictate in those rare circumstances of rape or sexual abuse.

Again it is an intereasting debate topic but because the human survival instinct I am going to have to say that it's place on the profile page is not warranted in my opinion.
jwebb893

Pro

The way you approached the argument, I think, lends credit to my opinion. While some people believe that we should cling to life as much as we can, others do no not. This has been conflict going all the way back to the Stoics of classical antiquity.

In addition, there is the argument of whether people have the right to have themselves killed or whether doctos have the right to do it.

There are plenty of opinions on the issue, and the legislation on it is not finalized, so again, I think it deserves a place on the board.
jarhead717

Con

jarhead717 forfeited this round.
Posted by jarhead717 9 years ago
jarhead717
Anytime, believe me when I say, I have a lot to say on Iraq and most of the time it is the furthest from popular opinion.
Posted by jwebb893 9 years ago
jwebb893
btw this does not directly relate to the debate but I wanted to thank jarhead for his service to this country and our freedoms. I truly appreciate what you guys are doing over there, and id love to hear your opinions on Iraq.
Posted by jwebb893 9 years ago
jwebb893
yea this was more of a statement than a debate. Maybe there should be "Declaration" option too
Posted by clsmooth 9 years ago
clsmooth
There is no category for trade, either. That's a pretty big issue to not cover. Especially in light of "vegetarianism / PETA"'s inclusion.
Vote Placed by Bored_Debater 1 year ago
Bored_Debater
jwebb893jarhead717Tied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
jwebb893jarhead717Tied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
jwebb893jarhead717Tied