aysuu
HelterSkelter

euthanasia

HelterSkelter

aysuu

Pro

Why isn't light given to the painful soul? One should have the right to end a painful journey and remember life with those beautiful moments in mind...
HelterSkelter

Con

Well, for one thing this could easily be abused in order to kill people without their consent, as it was in Germany and Holland. Although euthanasia is supposed to grant individuals more power over their lives, in reality, it can easily be abused in order to give the doctor more control over the lives of the people. A report published in the Netherlands notes the following:

• 1,040 people (an average of 3 per day) died from involuntary euthanasia, meaning that doctors actively killed these patients without the patients’ knowledge or consent.(9)
    • 14% of these patients were fully competent. (10)
    • 72% had never given any indication that they would want their lives terminated. (11)
    • In 8% of the cases, doctors performed involuntary euthanasia despite the fact that they believed alternative options were still possible. (12)
  • In addition, 8,100 patients died as a result of doctors deliberately giving them overdoses of pain medication, not for the primary purpose of controlling pain, but to hasten the patient’s death. (13) In 61% of these cases (4,941 patients), the intentional overdose was given without the patient’s consent.(14)
    • The Remmelink Report figures cited here do not include thousands of other cases, also reported in the study, in which life-sustaining treatment was withheld or withdrawn without the patient’s consent and with the intention of causing the patient’s death. (15) Nor do the figures include cases of involuntary euthanasia performed on disabled newborns, children with life-threatening conditions, or psychiatric patients. (16)
    • The most frequently cited reasons given for ending the lives of patients without their knowledge or consent were: “low quality of life,” “no prospect for improvement,” and “the family couldn’t take it anymore.”(17)
    • In 45% of cases involving hospitalized patients who were involuntarily euthanized, the patients’ families had no knowledge that their loved ones’ lives were deliberately terminated by doctors. (18)
    • According to the 1990 census, the population of Holland is approximately 15 million. That is only half the population of California. To get some idea of how the Remmelink Report statistics would apply to the U.S., those figures would have to be multiplied 16.6 times (based on the 1990 U.S. census population of approximately 250 million)

SOURCE: http://www.patientsrightscouncil.org...

So, we can see that euthanasia is a dangerous public policy.

Now, my opponent discusses a right to suicide. I contend that no such right exists based on Kantian ethics; as Kant notes, I have a right to do as I please with myself and my body as long as I do not take any action that violates human dignity and treats people as means to an end. When I commit suicide, I am treating myself as a means to an end of pain prevention, so suicide violates human dignity and is therefore unjust.

aysuu

Pro

aysuu forfeited this round.
HelterSkelter

Con

My opponent didn't respond . . .
aysuu

Pro

aysuu forfeited this round.
HelterSkelter

Con

Extend all arguments.
Vote Placed by ldcon 4 years ago
ldcon
aysuuHelterSkelterTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF! Con for the KO