natalienordness1234
Petfish

every student should have a musical instrument

Started: 3/30/2016 Category: Arts

natalienordness1234

Con

i say that it is up to them if they want to go down that path, its up to them if they want to be musical. also if all kids have an instrument then what would happen if everyone was carrying an instrument they would have to practice and not get most of there other work done for school. why take away other school subjects just to have an instrument ( takes away homework to practice) i own a trumpet and it takes away from hw so i just practices on weekends and then i dont understand fully how the songs go.
Petfish

Pro

Thank you, Con, for instigating this debate.

I will define some terms I will use for this debate.

Musical Instrument - A musical instrument is an instrument created or adapted to make musical sounds. In principle, any object that produces sound can be a musical instrument—it is through purpose that the object becomes a musical instrument.[1]

Have- possess, own, or hold.[2]

For the word ‘should,’ let’s agree to avoid semantics.

Contention: The human voice is a musical instrument.

The human voice seems to fit the definition of a musical instrument. My own music instructors (and you can find other instructors anywhere online) often call the human voice an instrument. So why shouldn’t students be allowed to have their own voice?

Argument 1: Singing for Fun

While I don’t personally enjoy singing, I realize a lot of people do. Singing in a choir can give oneself a sense of community or family; it is a fun group project.[3] It’s also an enjoyable hobby. Some people just enjoy singing melodies they like.[4]
Since the alternative (which would be ‘not having a voice’) seems undesirable, I think all students should have a voice. Who wants to be mute? Why would we wish for someone to be mute?

Argument 2: Exposure to Good Music

To enjoy good music, one has to have experiences with good music. Some kinesthetic learners could really take off by getting an instrument themselves.

Rebuttals:

Con claims, “…they [students] would have to practice and not get most of there other work done for school.”

But this is clearly false. You don’t need to carry every instrument you possess into class. You could just practice 30 minutes a day and still be in good shape. In fact, for beginnings, it’s advisable not to practice over 30 minutes a day. So there is still time to practice and get work done.

Con further claims, “i own a trumpet and it takes away from hw so i just practices on weekends and then i dont understand fully how the songs go.”

This argument is an example of the anecdotal fallacy. Therefore I do not really need to respond to it, but let me just say that there are a few assumptions Con is making. Con assumes

• Practicing somehow ‘takes away’ from homework.
• One cannot fully understand how songs go if they just practice on weekends.

But there are obvious solutions. You could play easier pieces, you could take easier classes, or you could take classes that do not require homework. So I do not think that there are strong arguments against the resolution.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] https://www.google.com...
[3] http://www.singingforfun.co.uk...
[4] https://www.youtube.com...
natalienordness1234

Con

natalienordness1234 forfeited this round.
natalienordness1234

Con

Petfish

Pro

Extend all arguments!