solo
Yraelz

Everyone should learn to drive manual transmission cars at some point in life.

Con Tied Pro

solo

Con

I do not think it is necessary for people to learn how to drive stick-shift because it's something that folks can get by in life just fine without ever learning. Granted some folks may need to learn how to drive manual transmission vehicles, but the vast majority of drivers do not need this ability.
Yraelz

Pro

Alright I will take your challenge and show you exactly why everyone should learn to drive a manual transmission.

First I would like to point out that should in this instance means that there would be enough benefit to learning how to drive such a transmission to outweigh the draw backs.

So I am going to give benefits of learning how to drive a manual transmission.

1. You can now drive just about any vehicle. This means that when your girlfriend takes you out horseback riding and drives her manual truck you are not stuck should something happen to your girlfriend. For example if your girlfriend fell and got a concussion, you would be able to drive her home. (Real life example from me!) I realize the chances of such instances are rather unlikely, but non-the-less beneficial.

2. Avoiding cops. You know that day when you're late for work and you're going 10 mph over the speed limit to get there. Then you see that cop coming down the street at you, now all you have to do is down shift. No incriminating break lights or anything. Good idea!

3. Avoids slipping on ice. Where as an automatic transmission in many instances must apply break in order to slow down, in a manual transmission one can simply down shift to make the wheels spin slightly slower thereby slowing down. This avoids sliding on ice and can prevent wrecks.

4. They are so much more fun. A person who can drive a manual better owns any automatic at race. Manuals can stay in gear for as long as possible thereby revving higher and accelerating faster. Automatics simply flip when they hit so many rpms. This is obnoxious.

5. Everybody looks more cool driving a manual. You know it the moment you get in a car with someone who has one of those nice leather stick shifts they are most definitely a cool person. Manuals are cool to drive, drivers are cool.

6. Learning to drive a manual can be a bonding experience with someone you like. Just have one of your good friends teach you, bonding time, yeah!

Obviously these are all reasons why one should learn to drive an automatic, together they make it more or less imperative that one should. With no draw backs to learning to drive an automatic on the list I am going to have to say everyone should.
solo

Con

<>

Thank you for accepting the challenge, Yraelz. It's always a pleasure.

<>

There are benefits for some, but not everyone. Blind people wouldn't benefit from learning how to drive a manual transmission car, for instance. In fact, they would be a danger to others on the road.

<
1. You can now drive just about any vehicle. This means that when your girlfriend takes you out horseback riding and drives her manual truck you are not stuck should something happen to your girlfriend. For example if your girlfriend fell and got a concussion, you would be able to drive her home. (Real life example from me!) I realize the chances of such instances are rather unlikely, but non-the-less beneficial.>>

Perhaps it would've been better to wear helmets while you ride horses. Also, I doubt that you have the proper medical training to know if it were safe to move your girlfriend or not, so it might have been better to use a cell phone to call for trained medical assistance in that situation and many others of that nature.

<<2. Avoiding cops. You know that day when you're late for work and you're going 10 mph over the speed limit to get there. Then you see that cop coming down the street at you, now all you have to do is down shift. No incriminating break lights or anything. Good idea!>>

Police officers are trained to notice such tricks. If a car is traveling at unsafe speeds, then suddenly the back end of the car rises and the front end lowers and speed is reduced, I think anyone would notice what has been done. Though you may think it is a good idea to drive at unsafe speeds that exceed the speed limit and then try to get out of the consequences for such an action, I do not feel the same way, and I think others would agree with me.

<<3. Avoids slipping on ice. Where as an automatic transmission in many instances must apply break in order to slow down, in a manual transmission one can simply down shift to make the wheels spin slightly slower thereby slowing down. This avoids sliding on ice and can prevent wrecks.>>

This is a myth. Even four-wheel drive vehicles experience slips on icy roads. I am one who drives stick and have been in more fishtails while driving clutch, than I have when I have driven an automatic.

<<4. They are so much more fun. A person who can drive a manual better owns any automatic at race. Manuals can stay in gear for as long as possible thereby revving higher and accelerating faster. Automatics simply flip when they hit so many rpms. This is obnoxious.>>

This is also a myth. I know of many automatic transmission cars that can triumph over a manual transmission. An automatic Ford Mustang could easily win in a race over a manual Toyota Corolla. However, this is all illegal activity and puts lives in jeopardy, so I urge against such activity.

<<5. Everybody looks more cool driving a manual. You know it the moment you get in a car with someone who has one of those nice leather stick shifts they are most definitely a cool person. Manuals are cool to drive, drivers are cool.>>

This is superficial and untrue. I know many dorks and geeks that drive manual transmissions; it hasn't helped their social status in any way. I am also pretty sure there are many cool persons that drive automatics, so this is really irrelevant.

<<6. Learning to drive a manual can be a bonding experience with someone you like. Just have one of your good friends teach you, bonding time, yeah!>>

It can also be expensive, as I learned when teaching my sister to drive stick. She grinded every gear and wore out my clutch. The expensive part came when she side-swiped a car, as she was looking down at the shifter to see where 'third gear' was located. Thankfully, my parents paid it right away so that the neighbor from a couple blocks away wouldn't be able to deduce that it was my car that caused his car the unclaimed damage.

<>

People should learn things that are necessary in life. However, with so many automatic transmission available, this is not one of the necessities. Also, I don't know how I feel about all physically challenged or mentally challenged people learning to drive manual transmission cars. I think some people are better suited to walking or public transportation. I've learned many things in life that I haven't utilized, when I could've been learning useful skills/knowledge. Learning to drive clutch is not something everyone should learn to do. It should remain as it is now -- something to learn if one is interested.

Thanks for the debate, Yraelz. Best of luck!
Yraelz

Pro

Alright, I will being my final round by attacking the few atrocious claims you have put forward and then moving on to the 6 points.

"There are benefits for some, but not everyone. Blind people wouldn't benefit from learning how to drive a manual transmission car, for instance. In fact, they would be a danger to others on the road."

>>This is a new point in your round 2 thus I have no choice but to answer your claim. As much as I hate new points in my final speech...... We should teach blind people to drive if only so that they may feel just as capable as other individuals. I however agree when you say that they would be a danger to others, thus we will teach them to drive but not allow them to actually do so.

Onto the points.

1. You say perhaps it would have been a better idea if my girlfriend had worn a helmet. This is true, however what I am stating is the fact that learning how to drive a manual was just another safety precaution. You also state my phone may have been a better choice, and while I also agree with that, you have conceded the point. That being, driving a manual transmission can save yourself and others if all else fails. =)

2. My second point was avoiding the consequences for speeding. You obviously do not condone such an action as it is breaking the law. However breaking the law in itself is not always a bad thing and there are situation when it is necessary. Such as when someone kidnaps your child and drives away with him. Speeding in such a situation, at the very least to catch such criminals license plate, is necessary.

You also state that officers are trained to notice such tricks but this truly does not matter. Unless you can somehow prove to me that a police officer will notice such a trick every single time, even with their special training, then it is still offers a benefit. As proving this would be impossible, it is still a benefit.

3. Here you say, "This is a myth. Even four-wheel drive vehicles experience slips on icy roads." I agree, all vehicles will experience some slipping on icy rodes, but this was not my argument. You have straw manned me. My argument quite clearly stated, "Avoids slipping on ice." not "stops slipping on ice". You also do not attack the crux of this argument being, "in a manual transmission one can simply down shift to make the wheels spin slightly slower thereby slowing down" which is where my entire point stems from and thereby my argument still stands in this round. Manual transmissions avoid slipping on ice, and thereby can avoid wrecks.

4. You have me here when you say, "An automatic Ford Mustang could easily win in a race over a manual Toyota Corolla." However this still stands as a minor benefit to me as a manual ford mustang would own an automatic ford mustang.

I also do not condone racing, that would be a bad idea. I'm just saying in the off chance that one has to race. For instance if my cat was being held hostage and the only way I could get it back was by racing the crazy lady who had stolen it. This would be an acceptable situation to race in.

5. Once again you have me here for the most part. But I can tell you from experience that I look more cool driving a manual. As do select members around the community. I would also contest that such people as dorks and geeks, while still being dork and geeks, are more cool looking for driving a manual than they would for driving an automatic. However since neither of us could prove this point we will consider it moot and just call me cool when I drive a manual.

6. On this point you concede the fact that it can be a bonding experience while stating that it can also be very expensive. Thus I ask our audience and respectable voters. What is more important, relationships with people you love or money? The answer is quite obvious, bonding time is quite a bit more important than money will ever be.

Finally you bring up some new points at the end. You say that driving a manual is not necessary however I have already proved how it can be necessary and potentially life threatening to not in at least 3 scenarios above. You the state, "Also, I don't know how I feel about all physically challenged or mentally challenged people learning to drive manual transmission cars. I think some people are better suited to walking or public transportation." I agree with you here but must advocate the same as I did for blind people. They should be taught so they might feel capable but never be allowed to drive.

Your very final point is as follows,

"It should remain as it is now -- something to learn if one is interested."

And I must thank you for such a point, I would like to redirect everyone to the resolution which quite clearly states, "Everyone should learn to drive manual transmission cars at some point in life." This says "should" learn, not must learn, or it is imperative. I have brought many reasons why people "should" learn to drive a manual but I would not force it as some kind of imperative. My opponent seems to think that I am advocating against free will here.

My advocacy however is exactly as my opponent states. It is something to learn if one is interested. There are many reasons one should learn such a thing but it still only something to do if one is interested. Free will ftw!

Thanks for the debate Solo.
Posted by sadolite 6 years ago
sadolite
As far as the vast majority goes for not needing to know how to drive a manual stick shift: I think some one has never left the country because the vast majority of the vehicles overseas are manual.
Posted by Yraelz 6 years ago
Yraelz
You know it. ^^ Need to debate you a little more often.
Posted by solo 6 years ago
solo
HA! Funny! I appreciated your closing.
Posted by solo 6 years ago
solo
Boooooo! That's not part of the debate, but whatever. Good luck!
Posted by Yraelz 6 years ago
Yraelz
Sorry, had a bunch of people challenge me to things, have 7 debates to answer to. Doing that whole procrastination thing. I might use that comment as evidence against you.....
Posted by solo 6 years ago
solo
C'mon Yraelz... you don't usually take this long. Are you afraid of my Round Two? HA! J/K. FYI - I do not like automatics whatsoever. I think they're lame and I totally think I'm cool for driving a stick. HA!
Posted by Yraelz 6 years ago
Yraelz
I graduated from high school a year early and decided to take the year off for fun. Turns out its actually rather boring. ><
Posted by solo 6 years ago
solo
You must be bored too! HA! I'm going to grab a bite to eat, so I hope you've posted something by the time I get back. Laterz~
Vote Placed by bthr004 5 years ago
bthr004
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by magpie 6 years ago
magpie
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by solo 6 years ago
solo
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 6 years ago
Logical-Master
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by Yraelz 6 years ago
Yraelz
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by Zerosmelt 6 years ago
Zerosmelt
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by lastronin 6 years ago
lastronin
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by THEmanlyDEBATER3 6 years ago
THEmanlyDEBATER3
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by Ninjanuke 6 years ago
Ninjanuke
soloYraelzTied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 6 years ago
brittwaller
soloYraelzTied