ilyayunch9k
Acarr130

evolution

Acarr130

ilyayunch9k

Con

I think that evolution is wrong and Jesus is the only answer.
Acarr130

Pro

Would you clear up the topic for me?
ilyayunch9k

Con

The big bang theory
us coming from apes
Acarr130

Pro

Ok, thank you
===========
I would like to start off that Jesus is from the Christian belief, correct? And science has deduced that the earth was created by the Big Bang, the result of that created micro organisms that evolved into what we are today. Yes, their might have been a Jesus or a descendant from God, but science so far has not found any evidence that their actually was a God or Jesus. For the moment, I think that science has evolved from what we are today. So please, I'm not trying to sound harsh to the Christian belief , but science has never lied to us.
===========
This will be interesting
ilyayunch9k

Con

http://www.biblelife.org...
read through this and it will change ur mind
Acarr130

Pro

I've read through it, but nobody can tell for certain that it acualy happened. I mean, no one is alive to tell us what really happened. So I guess we will never know what happened, but we came from something, I just believe in evolution, and you believe in creationism. We will never know.
Posted by Esiar 1 year ago
Esiar
It should tie
Posted by NoMagic 1 year ago
NoMagic
If evolution isn't true then we shouldn't be doing any animal breeding. We shouldn't be doing and agricultural breeding. If evolution isn't true then we shouldn't have been able to take a wolf and turn it into a poodle, or a great dane, or a chihuahua. So if animals don't change, what you MUST believe in order to deny evolution, then were are all the wild chihuahuas, where are the wild poodles? What about the Bull Dog, 85% have c-section births. What was going on? All the animals in the forest were operating and delivering the pups? This is what the creationist MUST believe.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
UndeniableReality
@platoscaveman

Thank you for the correction. I looked at the models commonly used to calculate life expectancy, and you are correct that they include child mortality.

I don't know much about any religion really, so I'm not sure what traditional Catholicism entails. I am curious to know more about it. I know there are cultural and regional differences in how Catholicism is traditionally practised. Most of my wife's relatives are Catholic, but their practices seem to be different from most because they're also Polish.
Posted by platoscaveman 1 year ago
platoscaveman
@UndeniableReality
also understand I believe in evolution, and I am a practicing very traditional Catholic.
Posted by platoscaveman 1 year ago
platoscaveman
@UndeniableReality

I checked a number of sources listing 47 as the L.E. in 1902. All of them were based on the same model I referred to. I can assure you that the average adult lived well past 47. Yes, our adult lives are longer due to better health care, and diets, but we are talking about maybe 10-15 years. 70-85 or so. Not anywhere close to double.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
UndeniableReality
@platoscaveman

I understand skewness in probability distributions.
I believe the statistic I used only used the expected age at death for adults in the year 1902, and therefore shouldn't be skewed by high infant mortality - I may go back and double-check this though. People had shorter lives due to poor living conditions, poor diets, poor disease prevention, and lack of medical science.

The change in life expectancy is still a change in the human body that has occurred in the last 100 years, is it not? Due to environmental factors, no doubt, but a change nonetheless.
Posted by platoscaveman 1 year ago
platoscaveman
ok Undeniable, life expectancy has not doubled in the last 100 years. Your life expectancy as a statistic has very little with how old you can expect to live. It is based on the average age of death. Infant mortality skews this number. If one in 5 children die by age 1 then you automatically have 20% of your population <1. Imagine if 100 people were in the sample, and 80 them all died at age 76. 20 of them died at age 1. Then you would have 76*80 and 1*20 or 6100 years of life over 100 people. This makes the life expectancy 61. But in reality if you live past one you can expect to live to be 76. It isn't like average people die at 61.

Ilya, the big bang theory was first proposed by a Catholic priest. Evolution does not prove or disprove creation. Biblically speaking Adam was said to be formed out of slime. According to evolution theory the first life on earth was microbial, or essentially slime. From there to modern man is completely acceptable to be evolutionary, without contradicting God's creation. The breath of life is not physical life but spiritual. Adam was the first to have an eternal soul. As genesis states God said let us form him in our image. Well that doesn't mean God has two arms and two legs etc, it is saying our divine element, our soul.

I see this debate being flawed as it attempts to confuse science and religion. Science can answer how to a question, but not why. Religion rarely troubles itself with how, but does answer why. Why did we evolve the way we did? God wanted it. How did we evolve? genetic changes. you really can't compare evolution over 100 years to evolution over 4.3 billion years. That is akin to saying your hair doesn't grow because you haven't had any growth in the last 3 seconds. 3 seconds compared to 6 months are very different. 100 years is infinitely small by comparison to 4.3 billion.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
UndeniableReality
@ilyaunch9k

I don't think any of these are due to changes in genetics, but since you said there have been no changes in the human body over the last 100 years, here are a few:

Average height increase of several inches
Average weight increase of around 25 pounds
Increase in bone density
Doubling of life expectancy

While irrelevant, it just goes to show that you should check some facts before you assume your beliefs are true, especially about something as simple as saying there hasn't been any change in the human body over the last century.
Posted by ilyayunch9k 1 year ago
ilyayunch9k
or even for the past hundred years there isn't even the slightest change in the human body
Posted by ilyayunch9k 1 year ago
ilyayunch9k
Vote Placed by NoMagic 1 year ago
NoMagic
ilyayunch9kAcarr130Tied
Reasons for voting decision: That isn't a debate. No points awarded.
Vote Placed by NathanDuclos 1 year ago
NathanDuclos
ilyayunch9kAcarr130Tied
Reasons for voting decision: It doesn't matter what others do, it only matter what you do. - My grandfather For this debate, Acarr130, despite lacking an opponent, you behaved with honor and integrety. Hats off. . . .