metalfan101
SkySky16

feminism is not needed in the west

metalfan101 has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

metalfan101

Con

I'm going to argue that feminism is not needed in the west. Women have the same rights as men, and I don't see feminists complaining about the oppression of women in middle eastern countries those are the areas that feminists need to focus on.
SkySky16

Pro

I am going to be arguing Pro, that feminism is not needed in the west.
My opponent has already conceded that women have the same rights as men and the only oppression of women is in middle eastern like countries.
Thank you for the debate, please vote Pro!
metalfan101

Con

They do, do you have any evidence that women and men do not have the same rights in the West?
SkySky16

Pro

Con, you are the one advocating for inequality of women.

But I do have evidence of the contrary.

Here are some statistics, note that these are for the U.S. only but the other western countries show similar data:

U.S. Population is 49% male and 51% female. This gives us a basis of what the other statistics should look like.

79.3% of workplace fatalities are men, meaning men are four times more like to die at work than women.

78% of suicide deaths are men. While women are three times as likely to attempt suicide, men are just under four times more likely to die from it. This is because men mostly use 100% lethal means, firearm being prevalent, while women tend to bleed out from slit wrists and overdose on pills.

The overwhelming majority of combat deaths are men, even though women are being integrated into the military. I will show statistics from older wars to compare.
1. Korea 99.99% of people who died were men.
2. Vietnam 99.99% again.
3. Gulf war 96.07%.
4. OIF 97.54%.
5. OEF 97.83%

Men are more likely to commit murder, and more likely to be murdered. 78% of homicide victims are male and 64% of known killers are male.

Men are fourteen times more likely to be sent to prison and receive 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.
83% of felony defendants are male.
93% of the prison population is male.
Chance of being bailed is 62% for men and 80% for women.
First time offenders sentenced, 29% of male cases and only 17% of female cases.
Chances of probation or parole for men is 66% while for women it is 85%.

72% of homeless individuals in shelter are male.

66-80% of divorces are initiated by women.
Men win custody only 18% of the time.
674,000 men receive alimony while 5,588,000 women do.

References

Population by gender 2013
Workplace Fatalities 2013
Professions by Gender
Suicide Rates 2013
Combat Casualty Statistics
Combat Casualty Statistics OIF/OEF
Murder Victims 2013
Murder Offenders 2013
Prison Statistics 2009-2013
Sentencing statistics
Sentencing statistics 2
Homelessness 2013
Custody and Alimony
Divorce
Divorce 2

These are all public records
metalfan101

Con

How, feminism wants extra rights for women, and why are you giving these statics I'm not saying there's male privilege, or these things don't happen so why are you giving me these statics
SkySky16

Pro

Well it proves the females aren't oppressed since you didn't give me anything to refute
Posted by Fernyx 1 year ago
Fernyx
Metal, you are supposed to be arguing the necessity of feminism, as you are against the notion that "feminism is not needed in the west".
Posted by sboss18 1 year ago
sboss18
Why are you Con if you're for the resolution? Either change the resolution or your stance.