cloud_strife7
Unbelievable.Time

final fantasy 8 is the worst game in the series

Unbelievable.Time
Started: 8/15/2015 Category: Games

cloud_strife7

Con

This argument is about why final fantasy 8 is tje worst game in the series and why it should be replaced with a new game.
Unbelievable.Time

Pro

I accept this debate.
cloud_strife7

Con

cloud_strife7 forfeited this round.
Unbelievable.Time

Pro

I pass this round.
cloud_strife7

Con

cloud_strife7 forfeited this round.
Unbelievable.Time

Pro

I again pass this round.
cloud_strife7

Con

cloud_strife7 forfeited this round.
Unbelievable.Time

Pro

I again pass this round.
cloud_strife7

Con

Well, it has too much focus on the main character, and virtually no characterization/development on the supporting cast.
The main plot has an incredible lack of direction. Your goals change constantly, from "being a school student who graduates into mercenary" to "we'll do paid jobs now" to "well, our first job will last for the rest of our lives" to "let's free timber" to "let's not, better assassinate evil dictator" to "let's just hide and seek" to "let's just stop future witch from doing evil" to "let's do that but let's focus on loving rinoa better" and so on. It doesn't progressively change goals to adapt to the situation, it just goes all over the place, you never know what kind of game you're playing until it finally settles for the love story and then everything else it built up is shoved to the side.
Convenient plot points get revealed and ignored in the span of 5 minutes (NORG for example). Mysterious occurences get introduced but the characters decide it doesn't concern them "Let's not think about that", which is terrible exposition. Some key points like the orphanage, while not a plot hole by any stretch of the imagination, it's completely stupid and unnecessary, also poorly presented. The only "hint" to memory loss is buried in an optional database in your computer at school, at the beginning of the game (where it's most likely not going to stay with you). There's no need in the plot for everyone to know each other, and it makes for a really stupid plot twist, so its inclusion doesn't really make much sense. It adds nothing to the game but problems.

All in all, the biggest problem in my experience was that the initial focus of the game (first disc) was really intriguing, and when it shifted into a corny love story I just couldn't believe myself. Not only I don't find love stories particularly appealing (not to mention this one is so poorly done) but I also lost what was built up to me. I was expecting things to go somewhere from where they started, but they don't. Meeting Laguna isn't the "climax" of that plot point that's been built up since the beginning of the game. It's just a random event that plays out as a sub-plot at best. The villain is barely explained, not to mention we find about her like in Disc 3, which doesn't really make me care for the antagonist. The characters don't care anyway either, they just want to get the job done and let Rinoa and Squall live happily ever after. Friendship!
Unbelievable.Time

Pro

Con is arguing for my side. So, I win this debate with no doubt. He forfeits the whole match by claiming that it is the worst game series ever.
Posted by KingDerekx 1 year ago
KingDerekx
The OP is arguing that Final Fantasy VIII is the worst in the series. He chose the wrong side, he meant to choose Pro. Did the same thing on the debate he already had open against me. Forfeiting rounds on there too.
Posted by Sarra 1 year ago
Sarra
I'll try to help out the OP (original poster) - final fantasy 14 before the re-release was definitely the worst game in the series, hands down, no comparison.
Posted by KingDerekx 1 year ago
KingDerekx
This is literally the same exact debate that you already have open against me. Why not actually reply to that debate instead of forfeiting rounds and starting new debates? You also mixed up your argument side selection, you're supposed to be Pro if you're agreeing with what your debate is actually titled..
Vote Placed by Sarra 1 year ago
Sarra
cloud_strife7Unbelievable.TimeTied
Reasons for voting decision: In the end, both sides argued the pro side. In the comments, I tried to help out con by mentioning the worst game in the series.