dairygirl4u2c
the_banjo_sender

food stamps are right for those who r not lazy and are the poorest among us

the_banjo_sender

dairygirl4u2c

Pro

a person with no means of getting food should be able to go grow corn. society stops them, basically at gun point, with property laws. if they are going to do that, they should make up for it by giving them food.
the_banjo_sender

Con

Yes, hard-working people who are unable to obtain sustenance should be given an opportunity to get food. The government, however, is under no obligation to provide this food. See, in this Capitalist society, people must work hard to obtain necessities. If the government starts giving away food, there is less incentive to actually work. Food Stamps therefore change hard working Americans into lazy leeches who steal from the tax payers. Now, while this is not guaranteed, examples of this are seen in Socialism and Communism.

Take, for example, the USSR. The people, promised that they would be fed in exchange for hard work, agreed to the system immediately. However, upon receiving the same amount of food as a lazy person, a hard working person would not work as hard.

Food Stamps are the same way. Hard working Americans take advantage of the system, stop working, and get food for free from the Federal Government. How is this fair?

Since Food Stamps cannot be used effectively, they should not be used at all.

VFD
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

if you are in poverty enough to have food stamps, you dont have much going for you. i dont knw many who would rather have no monety and food v have monety and food by working a little. there might be a few bad apples, but you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.
you say they sbould be able to eat but you dont want to give them food stamps. how else are they suppose to eat? we won't let them grow corn, either. how does the capitalist theory fix this? i fear it doesn't. that's why laissez faire capitialism is unfair and doesn't work.
the_banjo_sender

Con

No, no... free market trade works! See, the fact that we don't "let people grow their own corn" shows that America, despite basing its social structure off of Capitalism, is not truly Capitalist. But let's get back to the topic at hand, shall we?

Yes, people who have nothing probably will be willing to work hard. Be this as it may, the situation that you proposed is not how the food stamp system works. Tell me, if you could get 5 pounds of Wheat Thins for two days work OR you could get 5 pounds of Wheat Thins for no work, which would you choose? Obviously, you would choose to not work. Food stamps promote laziness. If I get free food for not doing anything, why should I pursue a job?

I therefore believe it would be far better to lighten the apparently ferocious regulations regarding corn-growing rather than give free food to everyone who is to lazy to get a job.

VFD
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

dairygirl4u2c forfeited this round.
the_banjo_sender

Con

Please vote for me. That would make me happy.
Posted by Wild.Grape 11 months ago
Wild.Grape
"a person with no means of getting food should be able to go grow corn"
You are 100% correct on that one. How I obtain my own food is none of your business. If I want to obtain it MY OWN WAY, (provided it do not impact anyone else), then I should have full rights to do so.

"if they are going to do that, they should make up for it by giving them food."
To this I disagree. The very fact that they do not allow you to do that already demonstrates that it is "their way or high way" and thus no further expectations should be made.
Vote Placed by TheResistance 11 months ago
TheResistance
dairygirl4u2cthe_banjo_senderTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF by Pro