swatisingh
le-wingnister

four year undergraduate program

swatisingh

Pro

I am unable to get that why people are opposing four year undergraduate program. Its a matter of thought that du has lost its prestige image during these days because of the protest against this program. The students are not following the steps indicated by there head. If something is implemented by the vice chancellor of du, must have a positive point in our favor. Why people are not understanding that he will get nothing if we study 1 more year? Why he would take any headache for something that is for us and even we are not supporting him? His plans make us to interact with more people, with those students whom we even didn't know and that would help us to deal with human nature. Another thing, foundation courses have helped the students who are not aware with the power point presentations or with the subjects that are being studied in the colleges for example a Hindi honours student don't know what business includes. Therefore, these foundation courses gave them a glimpse about the subject with its initial part. Also, group discussions have helped the students to encourage their confidence level and speak out the words which are lingering in their mind. If we all think about each and every student in the university then, I m 100% sure that everyone would be in da favor of this four year undergraduate program and moreover, students will stop doing all these nonsense protests and by concentrating on their studies, will add gem to the crown of Delhi University.
le-wingnister

Con

I will accept your argument.

Though I didn"t realize your topic was about the program in Delhi University rather then just 4-year college programs globally.

From what I understand, the transition from three year to the four-year undergraduate program (FYUP) was a mass confusion. Accordingly, "Critics say that the current schooling system in India (the 10+2 scheme) allows students to enter college primed to choose a specific subject or discipline. Many professors pointed out that the infra-structure for Delhi University, already anemic, needed to be reformed before adding an extra year to the current program. As an example, they point out that 4,000 positions for teachers were already lying vacant." (daily bhaskar)
However the transition was so fast that even some teachers from DU have trouble adapting and redesign their courses.

The reason the students protested was that the extra time and work they had to put in. They had reduced their 3-year system with 27 main courses content to 4 year with only 18 mains. On top of that, they have to add another year to achieve the same diploma, where they could"ve achieved it in 3 years with the old system. The extra year also does not provide housing and such, giving students more expenses need. In a logical sense, 3 year of school and 1 year of work is more beneficial then 4 year of school. Some people aren"t as privilege and the change of the system could be hard on them financially.

The main concern is the lost of benefit and change of status quo that causes the student to protest. And in a country like India, it is reasonable for some students to believe that they should stick with the 3 year system rather then 4 year because of the financial pressure, increase of difficulty and the lost of that "one more year" where they could"ve been working already.

ps, make your topic clearer next time.
swatisingh

Pro

I mentioned Delhi university in my argument, therefore I just don't think there is something that I should clear next time.

secondly, u mentioned that one year has no use where people could have started earning they are giving it to 4 th yr. In my context DU has given this opportunity too to the people that they can quit in 3rd yr if they wish to and start earning. And even can continue their 4th yr when they have time to do so in future. I don't think anything could be better than this.

another thing is about funds. Yes I do agree authority doesn't have much funds but if it has taken some steps then, they must have some back up too. Also in context of teachers du has never been facing shortage of teachers, its all about capabilities and skills, when they get a suitable teacher they will appoint him/her. Till then, du has some talented teachers who can handle the whole routine. It just not a major problem.

even the subjects are supposed to be 24 and now its 22 along with 4 applied courses of the same course. In addition a discipline course 2 has been added which states that choose any course other than of your own subject and they will teach you that subject too within the four yr course. It has a benefit that the student can pursue their post grad. in both the subjects ( subject that you have taken admission in and the discipline course 2) .

according to me, this 4 yr course would make us multi skilled effectively. It will broaden the horizons of our mind. I am mainly concerned with the students who have already taken the admission in this 4 yr program, who have spent their 1 yr in this. How they are going to manage them in 3 yr schedule? And if they did so, then only 4 main courses students have studied and now they would make students to study remaining 20 subjects in 2 yr! (CNN news)
how unfair that will be!
le-wingnister

Con

You had left a few important points out.

Yes in the university policy, students are allow to quit in the 3rd year, but then they wouldn't have receive honours in their diploma; all the honours course will have to in the forth year.

For things that could've been achieve in 3 year now extended to 4, it would be unfair for them.

I understand the transition from 3 to 4 is a better system, but for those students, not to much.
For those group of students, they are losing in their opportunity cost. (As I said in the first debate they have to spend one more year of expense and such.)

You cannot expect them not to protest, especially when you have no plan to back them up finically. This was a bold plan and DU expects the students not to have disagreement. Well they were wrong and the Btech students went on protest.

As your statement wasn't clear, I would argue that the students have the right to protest the change. Those kids do not need high efficient course, but a job as soon as possible; to feed themselves and their family.
swatisingh

Pro

swatisingh forfeited this round.
le-wingnister

Con

le-wingnister forfeited this round.
swatisingh

Pro

swatisingh forfeited this round.
le-wingnister

Con

le-wingnister forfeited this round.
Posted by swatisingh 2 years ago
swatisingh
Yes, I m arguing 4 yr undergrat vs 3 yr undergrat. I am in favor of 4 yr and I see no point of protesting against it.
Posted by le-wingnister 2 years ago
le-wingnister
are you arguing 4 year undergrad vs 2 year community college? or just the importance of a 4 year undergrad program?