fox news should be taken off air

Started: 3/14/2014 Category: TV

They're rape apologists, racists, liars, and they let their republican views influence nearly everything. Fox news is a despicable show, and it should be taken off air and replaced by a better, less unreliable, news source. They are a hteful group and it shouldn't go on any longer. Try to convince me otherwise.

Let me first point out that this debate is not very well structured. You give no definitions or supply rules for what this debate is meant to be, which makes it more confusing and less likely to be debated. I picked it up because I am trying to experience all that has to offer.

For the interests of this debate, you should know that I tend to lean liberal although I try to stay out of political issues. I don’t watch Fox News or any major cable news channel regularly but I am familiar with some of the agendas they support.

Now let’s break down your argument piece by piece.

1. “They’re rape apologists, racists, liars, and they let their republican views influence nearly everything. Fox news is a despicable show.”

This is a statement of your belief. While I appreciate your belief, you don’t offer any specific facts or instances to prove that Fox News is what you say they are – rape apologists, racists, liars, and misconstruers of fact. If you believe that Fox News does these things, that’s fine. However, I can’t have an intelligent debate with you if you don’t provide me with something to base those beliefs on. For instance, I could say that MSNBC is a channel that employs baby killers, homosexuals, job killers, hippies, communists and that they let their democratic views influence nearly everything and it would mean nothing if I don’t substantiate those beliefs. However, according to a Pew poll run in March 2013, 85% of MSNBC’s programming is dedicated to “opinion” whereas 55% of Fox News’ programming is devoted to “opinion” [1].

2. “It should be taken off air.”

First off, who would be taking the show off the air? The company that makes more money off of it than CNN, MSNBC, and the evening newscasts of NBC, ABC, and CBS combined? [2] Probably not. The US government? Even less likely. Even if you hate everything Fox News has to say, they’re opinions are protected by the 1st Amendment and there is no precedent for the US government removing a television show or channel because they express a different viewpoint.

3. “Replaced by a better, less unreliable, news source.”

Like what?

4. “They are a hteful (sic) group and it shouldn’t go on any longer.”

This goes back to point number one. This is a statement of belief that doesn’t provide any contextual evidence to support it.

I hope I didn’t come off as too condescending. This is an issue that I’d love to discuss more. I look forward to your response.

mark_herron forfeited this round.

Well I guess I win this debate. However I really wish I would have gotten a response. I encourage you not to start a debate that you don't plan on finishing.
Posted by televin 2 years ago
Canada's Radio Act which requires that "a licenser may not broadcast....any false or misleading news....has kept Fox News out of Canada........a good drinking game during O'Reilly or Hannity is to take a shot every time they lie....usually drunk within 20 minutes
Posted by Zhege 2 years ago
The opinion statement reminded me of when Obama said, "If media is operating basically as a talk radio format, then that's one thing, and if it's operating as a news outlet, then that's another." Nice to see Obama is finally siding with Fox.
Posted by Jevinigh 2 years ago
Posted by Jevinigh 2 years ago
(1) The U.S. government does not have the kind of powers to just kick networks off the air and be glad they don't.
(2) No one can convince you your belief is wrong. Belief being the key word... you an't wanting to debate an idea your asking to argue a point ( and I am not going to take the bait.)
(3) I agree that Fox News is unreliable and informative.
(4) #3 makes it like every other syndicated news source.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited. Con wins arguments sources and conduct.