jrodio
Dann

freedom of speech

jrodio

jrodio

Pro

I need my freedom to be a smartass! If I have a smartass comment I believe I should be allowed to let it loose every now and then. Students voices are slowly becoming quieter in schools if classes was more fun and open and students had freedom of speech im sure they would pay plenty more attention in class, what is your outlook on this subject?
Dann

Con

I have accepted your debate and will be arguing that it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

Freedom of speech, the likes of which you advocate, should be restricted in a formal classroom setting and smart alec comments discouraged.

I will be arguing that athe need for authority in the classroom trumps the type of free speech you advocate.
jrodio

Pro

jrodio forfeited this round.
Dann

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round.
jrodio

Pro

so so sorry for not responding. I was in school and time ran out. Anyways. your point is highly valid and do make some great points but i still disagree maybe its because im stubborn, maybe its because im a student but i believe its the little distracting outburst from students and teachers in class that keep me focused so long as it relates to the subject and not some random conversation between students.
Dann

Con

Dann forfeited this round.
Posted by Craighawley215 2 years ago
Craighawley215
@Notyourbusiness I would completely agree with that, and I hope to see a rematch. That's why I judged it as a draw.
Posted by notyourbusiness 2 years ago
notyourbusiness
Honestly I think Jrodio and Dann should do this debate again. Both of them forfeited once and no real points/arguments were made yet. To vote now based on this incomplete debate would not be an accurate judgement of skill.
Posted by Craighawley215 2 years ago
Craighawley215
Students already have freedom of speech. No matter what, they have it. It is protected. However, the thing that people like to ignore is that freedom of speech is the freedom to say something, not the freedom to say anything without consequence.

Theoretically, you can call your teacher anything you want to, that's your right; but that doesn't mean the teacher doesn't have the right to turn around and punish you for being offensive and disruptive. Besides, if you really think that you should have the right to say whatever you want, then wouldn't the teacher have the right to, in turn, personally insult their students?
Vote Placed by Craighawley215 2 years ago
Craighawley215
jrodioDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both forfeited a round, so no points for conduct. Spelling and grammar was pretty even. No sources were used. Con only stated his argument in the 1st round, and Pro shifted his argument in the third round. Pro's argument shifts from being about students having freedom of speech to be a smartass, to an argument about freedom of speech in order to stay focused. Pro never supports either of these points, and never even really supports his claim that freedom of speech is hindered in the first place. This debate ultimately holds no substantial content for voting. It's a draw for me.
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
jrodioDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments weren't fantastic, but they were arguments nonetheless. Con only makes an assertion, then forfeits the final round.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
jrodioDannTied
Reasons for voting decision: con never makes any arguments to why freedom of speech should only be restricted to classrooms. Authority in classrooms? What about other places with authority?