suneeshpythal
Zanderax

funds allocated to look after refugees will be better spend in providing better mental health servic

suneeshpythal

Pro

funds allocated to look after refugees will be better spend in providing better mental health services for Australia.
Zanderax

Con

Hello

Thank you for debating with me, the national debate surrounding the treatment of Asylum Seekers is a precarious one but unfortunately not enough focus is placed on the refugees and how they survive in their new culture of Australia.

I will show in this argument that the support payments given to the refugees settled in all parts of Australia is both vital and necessary to their health and social security but also necessary for their peaceful integration into the community.

I will prove support given to refugees settled in Australia such as education, employment services and temporary housing is more advantageous than more funding to an already well funded mental health program.

I will begin with a few definitions:

For the definition of "Refugee" I have decided to refer to the UNHCR (United Nations High Commissionor for Refugees) for a specific definition rather than a dictionary for a more general definition.
UNHCR defines "Refugee" as:
'any person who, owing to well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it.' (1)

Please note that "Refugee" indicates someone that has already been settled in Australia while "Asylum Seeker" is someone who is applying for refugee status in Australia. (1)

For the definition of "Mental Health Services" the MHSA (Mental Health Services in Australia) has no official definition. (2) I have decided that an informal definition of "Any professional treatment intended to improve mental health" is adequate but I would prefer a confirmation from my opponent.

I would like to begin my argument by hypothesizing how transferring the money from the social services supporting refugees to Australia's mental health program would affect the people involved in both.

Australia spends well on mental health services. In 2011 the Australian government invested 2.2 billion dollars over 5 years into mental health initiatives. (3) This is an extraordinary amount of money in addition to the subsidization of mental health services provided by medicare. (4) The combination of mental health initiatives and subsidies result in a total coverage so that even the very financially disadvantaged can access mental health services.

Since subsidies are payed on a case by case basis then there would be no befit to providing extra money to that area as the government already pays as much as is required. Therefor only the initiatives would benefit. I must point out that because of the multiple Not for Profit organizations that already exclusively cover mental health initiatives and the government's own direct action results in saturated population for availability to these initiatives. There would be little benefit for a large amount of investment.

On the other side of the equation the refugees have no other means of support will be stripped of all social services intended to keep them alive, housed, healthy and to give them the ability to adjust to the culture of Australia. That last point is important to the safety of the communities in which the refugees are placed. A lack of responsible integration results in disillusioned people that will be less likely to accept the social rules of Australia.

In conclusion Refugees shouldn't be stripped of funding to vital social services to fund an already well supported mental health service.

I look forward to your response.

(1) : http://unhcr.org.au...
(2) : http://mhsa.aihw.gov.au...
(3):http://www.aph.gov.au...
(4) : http://www.humanservices.gov.au...
suneeshpythal

Pro

suneeshpythal forfeited this round.
Zanderax

Con

Zanderax forfeited this round.
suneeshpythal

Pro

suneeshpythal forfeited this round.
Zanderax

Con

Zanderax forfeited this round.