brookiemonster
Ore_Ele

gas prices

Ore_Ele
Started: 11/14/2012 Category: News

brookiemonster

Con

the gas prices today are now way over the limit. did you know that the gas used to cost 99 cent. I wish the gas can be like that again, but we need to protest to someone that we need to lower the current gas prices. I don't know about you but I have to say that as they raised these gas prices, people have only filled the tank half way and not full and that has caused people to run out of gas and not be able to go some where any longer. they will have to call someone to go get them. if I haven't said already the GAS PRICES need to be LOWERD NOT HIGHER. thank you for your time.......wait I have a challenge for you go out and write a potition and see who wants to lower gas and who just disagrees. I dare you. and then report it to me if you have that is soooo my debate if you think different hit me up with a argument on why they need to stay the same or get higher. thanks for your time and I dare you to do that potition!
Ore_Ele

Pro

While my opponent is Con for gas prices, their argument is basically Pro for gas prices should be lowered. As such, I am opposed to this (for this debate) and will be arguing that gas prices should not be forcibly changed and should go whichever way the market dictates, up or down. I will also present a second, entirely separate line of reasoning that gas prices should be raised in order to steer the automotive industry towards more eco-friendly vehicles (such as hybrids and alternative energy).

Since this debate is only 3 rounds, and my opponent already kind of posted an argument, I will start my arguments in this round. Again, I would like to say that these two arguments are entire separate (since they go against each other, yet both go against my opponent).

==Pro's Case==

1) Gas prices should be left to the market, as this is the most efficient method [1]. As supply and demand change, so will the prices. There is a natural annual cycle that the price of gas goes through [2]. This means that we will see some increase and some decreases from month to month. However, what we will also find, is that as we consume more oil, we have to drill in more and more challenging, and as such, more expensive locations. It is only logical that our first drillings, were done in the cheapest, most cost effective places. This the basic principle of diminishing returns, the first runs are the most valuable (in terms of profit) and we slowly go more and more expensive and less profitable. As we drill those more expensive wells and locations, that added costs will make the fuel cost more.

This is the way the market works. And this is perfectly fine, because another way the market works, is that once a better, more cost effective means comes along (once alternative fuels are cost effective), they will replace the old versions, just like Blueray is replacing DVDs, which replaced VHS, which replaced the Opera (does anyone still go to those?). It is also the natural cycle of how the market evolves and gives us the most advanced technology possible.

2) The burning of fuel in our cars in a major contributor to greenhouse gas pollution, currently making up about 33.2% of our national CO2 release [3]. If my opponent needs, I can go into why this is a bad thing in the next round. By raising the price of gas (ideally through and additional tax), this will push demand away from this power source and towards others. By shifting demand, it shifts private section investments and so increases technological advancements within those areas. We can also take the revenue raised from those taxes and apply those to subsidize those areas, or for other needs, like lube for lobbyists.

I will leave this at this and let my opponent respond before going any further in.

Thank you

[1] http://strategytank.awardspace.com...
[2] http://inflationdata.com...
[3] http://www.eia.gov...
brookiemonster

Con

brookiemonster forfeited this round.
Ore_Ele

Pro

Extend my arguments and hope that my opponent comes back for the final round.
brookiemonster

Con

brookiemonster forfeited this round.
Ore_Ele

Pro

Well, we'll let this end here.
Posted by THEBOMB 4 years ago
THEBOMB
who would be pro high gas prices? I don't think anyone likes the fact that gas prices are high, but we can't or rather shouldn't just arbitrarily set them.
Vote Placed by tulle 4 years ago
tulle
brookiemonsterOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was really tough...
Vote Placed by rross 4 years ago
rross
brookiemonsterOre_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: I hate cars. Also, pros arguments were stronger and she didn't forfeit.