thegibson
Lexus

gay marriage

Lexus

thegibson

Pro

Gay people should be allowed to marry because there is no real, well-founded argument against; every human deserves equal rights and one of those is the right to marry; and gay marriage prevents the birth of unwanted children
Lexus

Con

I assume that this round is for acceptance only and a brief outline of points that will be made.
I will touch on how:
  1. Gay marriage harms children
  2. Gay marriage is harmful to society
  3. Gay marriage ends more lives than it begins

Thank you and good luck.

thegibson

Pro

As a reminder, my arguments are: there is no real argument against gay marriage, humans deserve equal rights, and gay marriage actually helps children.

First, many of the arguments against gay marriage are based on religion. These are acceptable as arguments, but not as laws. I would like to point out that the American government stresses separation of church and state and, therefore, banning actions based on religion turns our government into a theocracy.

Second, marriage is listed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a universal right. The main arguments against that are 1) the US never signed the UDHR and 2) marriage is specified between a man and a woman. First, while it is true that the UDHR was not signed by Americans, it was made partially by Americans; therefore, we can conclude that the government leaders who made it agreed to it as a good set of rules for America. Second, the UDHR only states that "Men and women of full age... can marry." It never says they have to marry each other.

Third, gay marriage saves children's lives. Adopted children have their lives improved by adoption. Gay parents are better than no parents. Also, gay couples can not have unwanted children, because they can't procreate. Unwanted children are more likely to become criminals. Therefore, gay marriage is good.
Lexus

Con

I would like to start off this round by doing something that may seem to not be related, but it is.

Homosexual marriage leads to a rise in homosexual relationships.
I would hope that this would make sense to the gentle reader and to my opponent.
By making practices such as gay marriage okay, you are letting society have a better outlook on homosexual relationships as a whole. If you did not legalise gay marriage then it would be shunned into obscurity, and by extension so would homosexual relationships as a whole. The legalisation of gay marriage leads to more of these types of relationships to be accepted societally, and thus more of them are able to be made.
I would hope that my opponent would agree with me in saying this. More acceptance = more coming out, and that seems pretty good, right?

Contention I. Gay marriage harms children.
A study found that if a child is raised by a parent who is in a homosexual relationship, they are more likely to start smoking, get arrested, plead guilty in courts and even more likely to have been forced to have intercourse with someone else. These are all net harms to a person's mind; smoking will damage their physical bodies, pleading guilty will damage their future selves, and forced sex will lead to possible PTSD which negatively affects the mind.
If we are trying to make the world a better place by legalising gay marriage, why are we allowing these kind of things to occur on a daily basis? From research, it is concluded that the main factor is the sexuality of the parent and if they are in a relationship or not.

Contention II. Gay marriage is harmful to society.
Those who were raised by mothers who were in a lesbian relationship are 28% unemployed at the time of the study's creation. Compare that to the 20% unemployment rate by gay fathers and 8% for the nuclear family and you have a massive problem on your hands. We all know how important unemployment is -- it is the focus of many debates and will be the focus of many more. If we don't have workers, then what do we really have for the future? Well, by exacerbating and allowing the creation of homosexual relationships, we don't have a real future.
Yep, that is right. More homosexual relationships will lead to more children growing up in them, and in turn a very high unemployment rate. Our future is nonexistent, our dreams are washed away... all because of a policy put in place in the name of 'equality'.

Contention III.
Gay marriage ends more lives than it begins.
Let me begin this argument with a simply syllogism to prove that a gay marriage, in and of itself, does not create life.
P1. Homosexuality is attraction to the same sex.
P2. People of the same sex cannot have offspring.
C1. Homosexuality leads to no offspring
C2. Homosexual marriage leads to no offspring.
This upholds half of my argument, what about the other half?
Ah yes, my nifty source here. This source says that children raised by lesbian mothers and gay fathers are more likely to commit suicide when they are older, which is an ending of lives that is directly attributable to gay marriage. Having needless death is a net harm on society and people as a whole, so gay marriage leads to a harm on society and people as a whole.
http://www.familystructurestudies.com...

Thank you for this debate. I assume that next round will be rebuttals. Looking forward to it.
thegibson

Pro

thegibson forfeited this round.
Lexus

Con

I ask the voter to at least take off the conduct point of my opponent due to their forfeiture.

Religious arguments
Although this is true, I don't see as how this is upholding your part of the BoP. It may be true that people don't want the legalization of gay marriage due to religious reasons, this is not a valid point in your own constructive case.

UDHR
I think that life is a bigger universal right than a piece of paper right. Life has limitless oppurtunities to change the world, maybe the next person will be the person that finds the cure for cancer or develops the greenest energy possible. However, the benefits of this piece of paper taking effect is "equal love", where the love is not actually equal and instead harms lives.

Saving Lives
When it is more likely that a child will commit suicide due to their parents, I don't think that we should take the risk of a few children being saved. They can live with a nuclear family that will adopt them or they can live in an orphanage that the needs that the children want. Orphanages are not by any means an unpractical place for a child to live. If they were, we wouldn't have them.
Vote Placed by Henceforth_Truth 1 year ago
Henceforth_Truth
thegibsonLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited
Vote Placed by Philocat 1 year ago
Philocat
thegibsonLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gave a sound argument that gay marriage harms society by presenting the statistics associated with gay parenting. However I would advise Con to use sources for her studies- as a more able opponent could easily demand a source. Pro forfeited so conduct goes to Con.
Vote Placed by Nathaniel.Braswell 1 year ago
Nathaniel.Braswell
thegibsonLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Since Pro forfeited, Con wins all points.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
thegibsonLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited a round.