willhudson79
dexterbeagle

government should run exactly like a business

dexterbeagle

willhudson79

Pro

Government should run exactly like a business
dexterbeagle

Con

I know Pro is new to DDO. I don’t know whether or not he meant to set the debate time for five minutes, but let me quickly state a quick claim or two as to why government should not run EXACTLY like a business. While I do believe that government should be efficient, if it ran exactly like a business, and citizens were in fact given the rights of employees, they would not have civil liberties protections, as is the case when the majority of people go to work (unless they own the business outright). In a debate over the summer Con addressed this issue along similar lines, it [the proposition] argued that civil liberties (specifically the Second Amendment) should not end where the work place begins. I lost that debate because most people [voters] felt that property rights trump all other rights. In reality, if the government ran EXACTLY like a business, I guess that would mean the president would act as CEO with congress acting like middle managers, and the people would effectively have the same rights that a single shareholder would have in a company with shares that are the equivalent of the US population. But let me say emphatically business, some businesses do run quite effectively, provide great products, and shareholders values. That said I would not want to run the government EXACTLY like a business.

willhudson79

Pro

My bad. I didn't mean for the debate to five minutes. Sorry.
dexterbeagle

Con

That’s what I figured. Okay, well Con still effectively countered the claim that government should run EXACTLY like a business.

Posted by cheyennebodie 3 years ago
cheyennebodie
If government would adhere to the constitution, we would be the most powerful and free peoples on the earth forever.There "job" would be to protect ALL citizens, both rich and poor.Not make policies that effectively make most people poor and are dependent on government.And to enforce contract law. But we have a government that ignores the constitution and they can only do that by the will of the people. We have effectively given our republic over to socialists and communists.Not all of us. There are now a majority of people who want government to pay their bills by theft of those who simply have more.We are now a democracy, mob rule, instead of a republic, rule of law.
Posted by willhudson79 3 years ago
willhudson79
The points should go to Con. I didn't mean to set the debate for 5 minutes. I was using my phone.
Vote Placed by kasmic 3 years ago
kasmic
willhudson79dexterbeagleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not present a case. Cons arguments were left unaddressed.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
willhudson79dexterbeagleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Welcome to the site, Pro! Unfortunately, there were no real arguments from Pro so, in the absence of support for the motion, it fails and Con wins. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
willhudson79dexterbeagleTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro made no case for his side