meghann99
Commondebator

grade system in school should be abolished

Commondebator

meghann99

Pro

Grades define students in school. If you get low grades, you are "dumb" and if you get higher grades you are considered intelligent. many kids don't learn because all they care about is getting good grades for others. instead collages would look at how intelligent they are for them to get accepted.
Commondebator

Con

-Grades offer a reward system to the students thus increasing the drive to learn and perform qaulity work
-Grades can help teachers visualize the placement of each child, and see where each student belongs therefore increasing educational productivity
-Grades actually mean something via the alphabet to help the students visualize if they need to do better work
-By driving the students to better grades, they get more intelligent thus performing better on standard exams for college acceptance

Truly, the meaning of grades are to give students a way to drive themselves to become more intelliant. If the students perform better, they get better grades. This also gives a taste of the real world by stimulating the paychecks.
meghann99

Pro

Regarding placing students with certain classes based on grades, some students are brilliant and don't do the homework. They would then get put in a class that is way below their skill level. This could go both ways when a student who doesn't know the material could copy of the internet or a friend then get placed in a class that they don't understand and not learn anything.

In school its about grades, in the real world its about experience.
Commondebator

Con

Ok, so my opponent's argument is that the most brilliant people get low grades, and that is unfair. Lets look at the logic

-Smart student gets low grades
-Reason for low grades? Did not do homework
-Does not change anything because in the "real world" if smart people do not do their work, they are NOT going to do well in life, despite their intelligence

Not only do grades provide an excellent system for letting teachers know where the students are. On top of that, grades provide an exceptional taste of real life.
meghann99

Pro

-"some students are brilliant and don't do the homework."
This debate is about abolishing grades, not that the students wouldn't do any work.
School homework is VERY different than real world "homework" and in the real world there are not grades.

Without grades students would not just do the homework then forget about it, they would learn to learn. That is something I think you can take into the world
Commondebator

Con

My opponent has misinterpreted my entire argument, and it is evident that my opponent did not read my argument.

The "some students are brilliant and don't do the homework" was a REBUTTAL to my opponent's claims. My opponent's argument was that brilliant students do not get good grades, therefore making them unfair. Ironically my opponent has stated his/her argument is irrelevant in regards to "brilliant people get low grades" as that was a rebuttal.

It is also quite clear that my opponent has not read any further. I am not referring to the HOMEWORK stimulating the real life, rather how grades act as a paycheck, encouraging kids to perform better despite their intelligence.

My opponent failed to read my argument
Vote Placed by jackh4mm3r 2 years ago
jackh4mm3r
meghann99CommondebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: I thought at first the argument was that students should not be placed in grades, but as far as the traditional alphabet grading system is concerned con defends it well where Pro did not uphold her burden.
Vote Placed by Bennett91 2 years ago
Bennett91
meghann99CommondebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is a pretty low quality debate. No sources at all. Con made the least inane assertions that Pro did not counter.