danny445
FunkeeMonk91

Greed is the cause of every problem in America today.

danny445

Pro

I am here to state that every problem in America today is the direct result of greedy people. From our health care dilemma, to our education problems. Everything including immigration, energy, international affairs... every facet is based on money, and has not been resolved because greed runs the politics and process behind it.
FunkeeMonk91

Con

Since your contention is that greed is the cause of EVERY problem in America today, to win I only need to point out a few problems that don't.

1) Gay Marriage: There is no money at the core of the gay marriage debate. You could say that, "well, anti-gay marriage (a.k.a. fascists) don't want gays to have benefits." But they are already getting them with domestic partnership, which they're already allowed to have.

2) Abortion: This is a completely moral issue that is taking over America. There is no money involved in this one either.

3) Censorship: Ever since, "F*ck Tha Police," came out, there has been huge controversy over censorship laws. Proponents of cencorship do not gain any monetary good, and the artists don't receive anything but a reputation (which may lead to profits, but since they ones whom started the problem, it doesn't matter).

4) Gun control: People have been debating over this one for decades. No one is directly benefiting from either side. Of course, you could argue that gun companies get money, but they did not start the problem, so it's irrelevant.

Those are just 4 of hundreds of examples of issues that don't have greed at their cause.
danny445

Pro

Very well, I must admit that I left that title entirely too vague, I should have said MOST, instead of all. You do bring up some very good points, however, gun control, censorship, gay marriage, and abortion are all debatable whether or not they are problems or not. I would say that an American problem would be defined as being a problem that every American can define as being a problem. A gay person would not find their gay marriage to be a problem, a woman who has an abortion might not see it as a moral problem, someone who carries a gun might feel that it is their right to, and as far as censorship laws go, I hardly see that as a problem in America. Therefore, looking at some of the serious critical nationwide accepted problems, they are all based on greed.

Your reversal to my above point might be to question whether or not these points are real problems as well, so I will explain:

Immigration: (12 million people living in the shadows in a desperate time of national security is a problem, posed not only for our safety but also putting stress on our infrastructure). Why is immigration still allowed? Well very simply because the businesses that hire them for near slave labor are allowed to stay in business. Why are they allowed to? Because they fluff the pockets of politicians via lobbyists (you might also argue that the gun control and other arguments discussed above could be provented if it weren't for lobbyists +money ) aka GREED.

Energy/oil: Exxon mobile made 30-40 billion dollars in one quarter of 2007, while many Americans are struggling with increasing gas prices. How could this happen: GREED. Why isn't the government more poised toward shifting to a more oil independent system? LOBBYISTS FROM EXXON!!! AKA GREED!

Health care: why isn't health-care more affordable? Because corporations that make the drugs, and because the entire health industry has unnaturally boosted its prices above the expected and reasonable price: GREED!

Since I did not specify monetary greed, I will also throw in the following point:

Nuclear tensions:

The United States currently has THOUSANDS of nuclear warheads. This is completely irrational, seeing as most scientists agree that if 12 were to go off at around the same time it would put the globe into extinction. But America has thousands! why: GREED! greed for that power, and the statement that it makes.

As you can see many of the major problems within the United States, that are viewed universally amongst Americans as serious issues, are fueled in fact by greed. Other sub-issues that only affect a certain section of the population. The moral of my debate: Take away the greed, and perhaps everyone could focus more time on the problems that you pointed out, and getting down to the morals and ethics of the situations, rather than worrying about immigration, high health care costs, poor education systems, nuclear international tensions, and an energy crisis.
FunkeeMonk91

Con

"I would say that an American problem would be defined as being a problem that every American can define as being a problem."

Even though that is not a correct definition, I will use your own logic to refute your points.

Immigration. Immigration does not affect every American. It does not affect states that are not in the continental US (i.e. Alaska, Hawaii). Those states do not have immigration problems are not affected since, there is no one to immigrate to those places. Yes, they "put stress on the infrastructure," but if you asked any Hawaiian or Alaskan whether immigration is a problem to them, they will say no. In fact, there are several states in the continental US that have people that would probably say it isn't a problem. By your definition, all it takes is one person to think its not a problem to make it not one.

Exxon. Amish people don't use gas powered vehicles. Therefore, they are not affected by high gas prices. They are Americans, and since it is not a problem for them, oil is not a problem (by your definition).

Health care. High health care costs aren't a problem for the super wealthy, since it doesn't matter how high medicine is; no matter what, they can afford it.

Nuclear weapons. Most Americans would probably say that nuclear war doesn't affect them and isn't a problem. Yes, the potential for nuclear warfare is a problem, but that hasn't happened yet. So, this isn't a valid point.

Your definition states that a problem is only a problem if it is a problem for "every American." I took all of your points and outlined how they aren't problems, by your definition. All it takes is one of my examples to work, and I win the debate.
Posted by therealsumo 6 years ago
therealsumo
If anyone here is on Facebook and is interested in this subject, I have started a group about greed being a major contributor to the worlds problems. If you are interested please join the group.

http://www.facebook.com...
Posted by DucoNihilum 6 years ago
DucoNihilum
Everybody uses ad populum, so it's correct.
Posted by Shorack 6 years ago
Shorack
6 out of 11 believe that his arguments were still better.

imho, voting should have an attached motivation, that way, you'd at least know what people did or did not like about your arguments or the ones from your opponent.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 6 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
Well, I meant that while my arguments may have been shallow, they nonetheless disproved his. So no matter how shallow they were, his were worse. Therefore, I win.
Posted by Shorack 6 years ago
Shorack
About 50% disagree with you. ;)

So revisit your statement that there is no way you can't lose based on debating quality.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 6 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
Maybe the arguments were kind of shallow, but I proved him wrong. There's no getting around it. How I disproved him is irrelevant, because you should be voting on the winner, not who is the nicer guy. He set the parameters, and I brought up real world examples to disprove those parameters. End of story.
Posted by Shorack 6 years ago
Shorack
I suppose because some people don't like how some debates are all around winning for certain individuals instead of bringing forward a good argumentation in the spirit of convincing others instead of going through texts like a lawyer.

By the way, the world runs on greed, the good things and the bad things.

Also, i don't get your last round, you're only showing that there are problems that aren't a concern for everyone (welcome aboard captain obvious :))

by the way, one word: economics.
everything is connected.

if you push through a bit further, you can bring up reasons why the mentionned problems do affect all people.

last words: "Yes, the potential for nuclear warfare is a problem, but that hasn't happened yet."
Potential isn't an event, of course it does not happen, it is a state.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 6 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
How are we tied? His contention was that every problem is caused by greed. I proved that wrong by listing examples of problems that aren't. The key word is EVERY. By naming one problem not caused by greed, I won by default.

Also, Pro says that a problem is defined as something that affects EVERY American. I gave examples of problems that all Americans don't think are problems. Therefore, I win.

Why would anyone vote Pro?
Posted by HandsOff 6 years ago
HandsOff
I would defend greed in a milder sense. I would consider it a very strong desire to make greater and greater profit. Extreme greed tempered by a respect for the law can build some amazing things. Look at Getty, Rockafeller, Hughes, & Gates. Thank god for their greed.
Posted by Vikuta 6 years ago
Vikuta
Greed is the underlying reason for the most of the world's major problems.
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 5 years ago
pcmbrown
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by therealsumo 6 years ago
therealsumo
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by Shorack 6 years ago
Shorack
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by sluggerjal 6 years ago
sluggerjal
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by THS 6 years ago
THS
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by nitrogen85 6 years ago
nitrogen85
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by HandsOff 6 years ago
HandsOff
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by danny445 6 years ago
danny445
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 6 years ago
Kleptin
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 6 years ago
DucoNihilum
danny445FunkeeMonk91Tied