puppyluvz
crazypenguin

Gum Chewing in school

puppyluvz

puppyluvz

Con

Why gum chewing should not be allowed in school.

Okay, so most kids like chewing gum. Some kids think we should be allowed to chew it in school. I disagree with these claims. I think chewing gum would be a bad idea to have in school.

If gum chewing was allowed, not all kids would be chewing every second of the day. Say a class was taking a test and a particular girl was not chewing gum but the person beside of her was. The girl taking the test becomes distracted. This is because many times people are not only chewing their gum, but also smacking. A gum smacker is not only distractive, but is annoying. The test taker is now distracted and annoyed, so her test score will be much lower.

Gum chewing is extremely unsanitary. The wrappers will pile up in classrooms and hallways. Also, when kids are done with their gum, they don't want to get up in the middle of class and go throw their gum away, so they simply stick it under their chair or desk and leave it there. If you have ever felt sticky, hardened, ABC gum, you already know how gross it is. That is just like asking for kids to get sick! Viruses spread when a kid touches some gum that has already been in another kid's mouth! When kids get sick, they may miss school, thus making their grades even lower.

Some people claim that gum chewing will boost your test scores. The fact is, not enough research has been done to prove this is true. What gum chewing does do is distract you. You blow bubbles, play with your gum, and the gum accidentally falls out of your mouth. These are all examples of distractions that happen when kids are chewing gum.

Finally, there is no reason that kids need to chew gum in school. There is plenty of time outside of school to chew gum. If kids really like chewing gum, they can choose to spend all of their extra time outside school chewing away.

So, why spend money on stuff you chew for a little while and throw out? Why spend even more money on it so you can chew in school too?
crazypenguin

Pro

Thanks for hosting this debate,

Gum chewing prevents bad breath-why have social unrest throughout the whole school?
Gum chewing has been proven to help kids focus.

-People pick up trash after themselves.
-People are respectful and can be told to stop if "smacking"
puppyluvz

Con

----Counterargument----

My opponent says "Gum chewing prevents bad breath."

Bad breath is extremely easy to fix. Nowadays, most kids brush their teeth before going to school, so there isn't that problem. Also, kids can chew gum BEFORE school or on their way to school to get rid of bad breath. There is no way kids need to chew gum in school to get rid of bad breath. Besides, within 5 minutes of the school day if the kids were allowed to chew gum, the bad breath would already be gone.

"Gum chewing has been proven to help kids focus."

This is NOT true, though many people wrongly think so. First of all, not enough research has been done to fully prove this is true. Secondly, it does not help you get higher test scores, actually it will distract you from taking the test because you'll be so worried on if it'll help you or not. Knowing the information will get you higher test scores. If gum does anything at all, it is solely based on the placebo effect. Also, when kids chew gum, it distracts the kids next to them that may not be chewing gum.

"People pick up trash after themselves."

So, some people may be respectful to pick up trash. But let me tell you, in school, kids do not pick up their trash. I have plenty of proof since I am in school. Schools that allow gum chewing have gum in the carpet, under desks and chairs, and all over the walls. It is gross. Kids are getting sick because of all the germs from chewed gum all around them. Janitors don't want to clean up all the gum more then anyone else does, yet they are the ones who have to do it.

"People are respectful and can be told to stop if "smacking""

First of all, teachers don't always notice that a student is smacking because they are at the front of the room and less likely to hear it. But the other students next to the smacking student are sure to hear it and it is very annoying. Also, if the teacher does notice, the student may stop smacking but then start again a few minutes later. Sadly, students love to play games like this with the teacher. Thirdly, an older student may entirely stop smacking in that class, but since older students switch classes, they will just start again in their next class. This will distract even more kids next to them until the teacher, at the front of the room, hears them. All these distractions and annoyances lower the grades of students that are next to smacking students.

----Conclusion----
I thank my opponent for taking this debate and wait for my opponent's rebuttal.

References
1. http://www.teach-nology.com...
crazypenguin

Pro

Even after brushing=bad breath

It is a proven fact that it helps and i have never heard of smacking, and a lot of people at my school chew gum

Enough people do that it spreads, I know from my school that there is only 1 or 2 incidents people have left gum about.

If teachers can't hear they are not smacking, its as simple as that a classroom isnt that big that you can't hear from the front.

GUM=Focus, good breath, respect, and responcibility
puppyluvz

Con

1) "Even after brushing=bad breath"
This is not true at all! If people are brushing their teeth, they loose the bad breath. Kids also normally eat breakfast in the morning as well. This also gets rid of bad breath. Bad breath is really not that big of a deal. Kids can breath out of their nose, and only kids that are very close to them will smell the bad breath. My school doesn't allow gum, and their has NEVER been a problem with bad breath!

2) "It is a proven fact that it helps and i have never heard of smacking, and a lot of people at my school chew gum"

It is NOT proven! The research started in 2002 and they have not done enough studies to prove that it helps your brain at all! Really, its much better to just know your stuff and not have to be extremely worried about whether the gum is actually going to help you or not.

3) "Enough people do that it spreads, I know from my school that there is only 1 or 2 incidents people have left gum about."

I really wish you would have been a little more clear about what you are talking about, but I will work with what I have. Okay, so that's what you know, but why don't you try talking to the janitor? They will assure you that gum is EVERYWHERE! It is disgusting how there is gum under everything. Also, try putting your hand under your chair at school and you'll see what I mean.

4) "If teachers can't hear they are not smacking, its as simple as that a classroom isnt that big that you can't hear from the front."

Actually, when a teacher is talking at the front of the room, it can be very difficult to hear smacking. Many times a student will turn his/her head and smack in the face of the person next to them, just to annoy them. This will direct the sounds elsewhere, and it will not reach the teacher.

5) "GUM=Focus, good breath, respect, and responcibility"

Gum does NOT make people more responsible. Seriously, when has a study been done to prove this is true? Never. This is something my opponent made up.

6) My opponent still has not answered my question of why spend extra money on gum so you can chew it in school. I would like an answer to this please.

Remember gum in school is distracting, annoying, messy, and costs extra money.

With so many holes in the argument and punctuation mistakes on my opponent's side, vote CON!
crazypenguin

Pro

Overall I would just like to say that gum chewing is good,

sorry for the lack of a real debate, it was a great topic but not enough time.

Thank you,
Posted by kizzle42 3 years ago
kizzle42
i broke my braces really bad one time because my teacher wouldnt let me chew gum and instead i had to chew on a pen............. :/
Posted by puppyluvz 4 years ago
puppyluvz
Rustedtroll: yes it's true that you brush your teeth in the morning and that may not last forever. Your breath may not smell minty fresh all day long. But the fact is, if you are really obsessed with having perfect breath, well for most students there are about 3-4 hours of school from when they get there to when they eat lunch. Whatever you eat for lunch is basically what your breath will smell like for the remaining 3-4 hours of the day. So you could eat something that smells really good at lunch, and your breath would smell good for the rest of the day. Or, after you eat, just pop a mint in your mouth and that cures bad breath instantly. You don't HAVE to chew gum to get fresh breath. Besides, most schools don't care if you go to the bathroom and brush your teeth after lunch. You can just do that instead of using the restroom if you're really worried. The point is, there are MANY other ways to get rid of bad breath then gum.
Posted by rustedtroll 4 years ago
rustedtroll
I feel that gum chewwing should be allowed in school. the pro said it would reduce bad breath. The con said brushing your teeth in the morning can get rid of it. Well it can...IN THE MORNING. A morning brush will eventualy wear off, and when that happens you stick a piece of gum in your mouth and it's gone. I have to take crazypenguin's side in this.
Posted by lil-flash 5 years ago
lil-flash
oh okay lol i was kinda confused when you said that lol
Posted by puppyluvz 5 years ago
puppyluvz
lilflash- that's true there is some stress. But not much. In elementary school there is almost none!
I meant a comeback for my OTHER points, a few posts ago, when I said "chewing helps relieve stress so why don't kids just eat lunch and relieve stress."
Posted by lil-flash 5 years ago
lil-flash
i have little sisters in middle school and elementary school, and though elemenarty school and middle school don't seem to be as stressful as high school, doesn't mean there isn't any stress.

"1) We are talking about GUM IN SCHOOL not in HIGH SCHOOL. Elementary and middle schools are involved in this debate too.
2) Guys or girls aren't always trying to impress someone, especially in middle and elementary school."
...
"But you didn't have a comeback for any of my other points!"

there was nothing to "comeback" for on these two points, this debate WAS aboout chewing gum in school and not just high school and guys/girls AREN'T always trying to impress someone.
Posted by puppyluvz 5 years ago
puppyluvz
sorry lilflash- I meant kids don't have that big a problem with stress in elementary and middle school.
But you didn't have a comeback for any of my other points!
Posted by lil-flash 5 years ago
lil-flash
kids dont have that big of a problem at school with stress???
most def. wrong.
school is very stressful, from extracurricular activities to classes in general. no matter what a students mind is constantly working just as much in school as it does out.
Posted by puppyluvz 5 years ago
puppyluvz
18freckles- maybe you should have taken this debate since you have such a clear opinion.
1) We are talking about GUM IN SCHOOL not in HIGH SCHOOL. Elementary and middle schools are involved in this debate too.
2) Guys or girls aren't always trying to impress someone, especially in middle and elementary school.
3) You just said yourself- chewing helps relieve stress so why don't kids just eat lunch and relieve stress. Plus, kids don't have that big of a problem at school with stress, it's more when they get home and realize how much homework they have.
Posted by 18freckles 5 years ago
18freckles
smaking is only if you open your mouth and you want to be annoying... first we are in high school who would be that annoying besides the obnoxious immature boys or class clowns... and second people playing with their gum is very very rare cuz first who would want to see it and second wouldnt a guy or girl be trying to impress someone and not look gross and annoying... its all very clear... and it relieves stress because instead of taking it out on breaking a pencil yelling at a teacher punching something thus hurting yourself, your taking it out on chomping your teeth together and we do that every time we are eating so its very common
Vote Placed by saamanthagrl 5 years ago
saamanthagrl
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by 18freckles 5 years ago
18freckles
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by Epicism 5 years ago
Epicism
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by animea 5 years ago
animea
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by RacH3ll3 5 years ago
RacH3ll3
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by marin24 5 years ago
marin24
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by sorc 5 years ago
sorc
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied
Vote Placed by crazypenguin 5 years ago
crazypenguin
puppyluvzcrazypenguinTied