gym class: needed or not

gym class should not be needed why make kids show if they can/ cant do something for a grade

Let me start by thanking you for letting me debate you today. This is a very interesting concept to me, as I am still in high school, so I would be able to properly defend it to the best of my ability. Let the best man win, good luck and good sportsmanship!

In America"s school districts, P.E. class should not be required. It is embarrassing. It is awkward. Parents are questioning if it should be.
It is embarrassing. If you can't do 10 push-ups or 20 sit-ups, everybody shoves their score, of like 50 or 40, in your face. If you try to hard you could get injured. If you fall while doing some sport you get laughed at.
It is awkward. If you are in your squads and have to warm up, you might have to touch your toes. In order to touch your toes you have to bend over. It feels like you are sticking your butt in someone's face. Or vice versa.
Parents are questioning if it should be required. According to an investigation by MSNBC, the average time spent exercising is 16 out of 45 minutes. That's not very much physical time. Since we aren't doing very much parents think that it should be cut.
All in all, gym class should not be mandatory. Students get embarrassed. Students feel awkward. Parents think it should be cut. We need more time for better things like study hall or longer classes.

I concur with some of your contentions. You do raise some pretty good points, however, I believe that there is more good than bad for P.E classes.

P.E is intended for students to help burn off energy to help them sit still and concentrate on their schoolwork, instead of having ants in their pants and goofing off in class. Anther reason why P.E is needed is because most Americans are lazy fat@$$e$. Because of American opulence lifestyle, we have severe obesity, diabetes, and a host of other health problems because Americans are getting fatter and fatter every year. We need gym class to help get kids moving and doing exercise to help prevent these problems. Further more, some kids (Like me) struggle with school because we can't sit down all day, doing paperwork. People were meant to do so much more, and be active. Kids who struggle in school need all the help they can get, and by taking gym, they can get a good grade relativity easily by doing something they are good at. One more reason why people are either really good or really poor is how they live. Me? I live on a huge farm, and have to work very hard most days, my birthday included. I work out a lot, so lifting weights in gym and bench pressing is a breeze. However, kids who don't work very often are physically weaker, making gym harder for them because of a distinct lack of exercise, either because of a lack of time, or because they choose not to. Which means the only way to rectify that is to do mandatory exercise during physical education.

Now for your side, some of the problems you mentioned can easily be fixed by the teacher. For yoga, instead of having to do the downward facing dog, you could do balancing or core poses. Balancing poses are when you simply balance on one foot or your arms if you"re up to the challenge. Core is when you are sitting down, holding onto your legs so they aren"t touching the ground. You"re basically balancing on your butt, which is harder than it sounds. And while yes, you don"t get to work all hour in gym, you also have to take into account the time needed to change into and out of your gym clothes, and to organize everyone to get ready to do whatever it is they"re doing that day.

These are my contentions, and why I believe that physical education should not be canceled. I will now wait haleyharding's turn.

you raise some good points. while you say that kids are lazy fat @$$e$ some of us are to busy to exersize and dont know how to properly warm up and believe it is too pressing. there are also more things that are more needed for that time like study hall and longer classes in order to get better grades. they have all of lunch period to socalize and act like hoolaganes

As we move into the final round, I will rap up/ summarize my side of the debate, I will counter any last rebuttals to show why Gym class shouldn't be canceled.

Like what I said earlier, P.E is is helpful to people who don't have time to work out, as it's a school class. If they can't work out at home because of time restraints, then they can work out and exercise at school during class in gym.
However, I believe that classes are long enough already. If people work hard, they usually don't end up with a lot of homework, and if they do end up with homework, then what's left usually isn't that much. I believe that we have an adequate amount of time per class, and for lunch. However, I do see where you are coming from. No two schools are exactly the same, both in classes, and class time. So while you might not have as much time as you'd like, I have a fair amount of time per period to work on the useless crap that I'm being forced to do here. And while having longer classes might lead to better grades, you also have to look at the curriculum that's being taught. Not everybody is good at everything. Like me, for example. I am brilliant at psychology and English, but I fail miserably at Spanish and any sort of math. I'm bad with numbers and do poorly in large classes, compared to performing better in small classes. So the bigger problem, I believe, would be transferring the kids who have bad grades in certain classes to a different class that they are good at, so that they can graduate and be given a false sense of hope of getting a job because of getting a diploma. The final contention is that school is no place to fool around with shenanigans, and horse playing. School is supposed to be a place of learning, not messing around. That's what recess and gym class are for.

Now that I am finished, I will summarize my debate. P.E should not be canceled because the benefits outweigh the cons, with allowing kids to release pent up energy to help them concentrate in later classes, giving kids time to exercise, and to be active and have fun.

This was a fun debate, and it was a nice final debate for me before I deactivate my account. May the best man win!
Posted by whiteflame 6 months ago
>Reported vote: stschiffman// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Even though I agree with Pro, I will not that cloud my judgement. After an impartial analysis, I have determined that Pro had better points. His arguments about kids needing to exercise, PE prevents diabetes and other diseases, and some kids not being able to sit idly all day long are better than Con's "it's embarrassing" argument. Other than that, everything is even.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter only cites points made by each side, but the comparison between them is never explained. The voter is required to do more than simply list off arguments and say one side did it better " they are required to compare those points and weigh them to determine a winner.
Posted by raskuseal 7 months ago
I would like to accept the debate.