stokesash22
Anthola

heaven is way better than hell

stokesash22

Pro

i love heaven. i wish i could go to heaven i want to see what its like.... vote for heaven!!!!!
Anthola

Con

First off I would like to thank my opponent for engaging in this debate.

I will begin my debate by first laying out what heaven is described to be.

As my opponent has not specified, I will be assuming that the heaven referred to here is regarding the heaven as described from texts written in the first and second centuries and incorporated by the Catholic Church into what we now know to be the New Testament.

The books of the New Testament were written at different times and for different ends, which means they don"t always agree. Although Paul, in 1 Corinthians, says that Heaven is beyond imagining, other writers offer concrete details. The popular version of Heaven today is a composite that comes from several texts but relies heavily on the book of Revelation. Although I will not be going in depth as to the points discussed in the book of Revelation, a few key things should be mentioned.

The main points discussed in the book of Revelation that I will be basing my points off of will be that:-

1. Heaven is a real place.
2. People in Heaven have bodies.
3. Heaven is eternal.
4.Inhabitants spend their "time" serving and worshiping God.

To many people, I would think that the biblical description of heaven from the Bible alone is enough to make Heaven sound unappealing, especially if you add in the company of noxious public figures(who yes would be in heaven due to the fact that any and ALL believers who worship gods are assured a space in heaven). However the problem isn"t just bad company. The closer you look, the more the Bible"s version of paradise seems like another version of eternal torture. Allow me to elaborate this point.

Perfection means sameness. Much of what makes life worth living is the process of learning and discovery, growth and change. We delight in novelty and laugh when we are startled by the unexpected. Curiosity is one of our greatest pleasures, and growth is one of our deepest values and satisfactions. In fact, our whole psychological makeup is designed for tuning in to change, including our senses.

By contrast, timeless perfection is static. In the book of Matthew, Jesus commands, "Be ye perfect as your Father in Heaven is perfect," and in Heaven, supposedly, this ideal is finally attained. The problem is, perfect means finished and complete. It means there"s no room for improvement"for change and growth. What makes life fun and interesting is the human ability to learn and experience new things. In heaven however, this cannot exist, perfection must be sterile.

Following on from the above point, what allows humans to experience things and follow our own paths in life is our free will. Free will as we know it, cannot possibly exist in Heaven. Some Christians explain the presence of suffering and evil here on earth as God"s way of creating creatures who would love him by their free choice, by giving them the option to reject him. But that is exactly the opposite condition they predict in Heaven. In Heaven there is no sin, no option to sin, and so, by Christianity"s own definition, no free will. You would be forced to live a life confined in an almost brainwashed state, where the only thing that you could ever do would be to warship God.

Not to mention that this would last FOREVER. I belive that I am justified in saying that most of us would prefer to live longer than the time allotted to us as human beings. Aging is unavoidable, and with this comes the loss of loved ones.

However would you really want to live your life forever? Forever never ends. It is infinite. Think of the best possible experience you can imagine"whether it be seeing an amazing view from a place you've never been before, or gong to the rock concert of your favorite band, or picking up and playing a video game you had waited months to play. Any one of these things, when stretched to infinity, even they become unthinkable.

Writers who explore the idea of immortality rarely treat it as something to be desired, and for good reason. Even kids grasp the problems, for example, when they read Tuck Everlasting. Author Edgar Shoaff put it in a way that I could never describe in a better light, Immortality"a fate worse than death. The popular movie Groundhog Day is a comedic masterpiece of cinema. However a major part of what"s funny for viewers is the insane array of suicide attempts Bill Murray makes in order to stop living the same day over and over. Now indulge me, what might an inhabitant of the Heaven I"ve just described do to cease existing?
stokesash22

Pro

stokesash22 forfeited this round.
Anthola

Con

Anthola forfeited this round.
stokesash22

Pro

stokesash22 forfeited this round.
Anthola

Con

Anthola forfeited this round.