ccreus
CALife

high school athletics have to much emphasis put on it

Started: 1/29/2010 Category: Sports

ccreus

Pro

In the last 16 years I have been in school, athletes have been given special benefits due to the fact that they were stars of the school team. Instead of actually doing the work, the teachers let them slide so they could play in the big game. High school athletics are paid more attention than education itself. There are no pep assemblies for the academic team or for mock trial or other clubs. Therefore to much attention is being paid to high school athletics
CALife

Con

High School athletics plays a vital role in both keeping our children healthy and prepared for the real world. Also, with the obese epidemic happening we should encourage outside sports/play.

Personally I played football in high school, it not only taught me how to become a leader but also a follower. I believe it also gave me passion and drive. Moreover, it taught me self discipline and how to work well with others.

Teachers giving special treatment to a student athlete is wrong, and that should be reported to administration.

Sports such as football and basketball actually make more revenue then it costs to run the activity/game. At my High School the football program made enough money to support the whole athletic department (Soccer, tennis, basketball, football, golf, wrestling, swimming). This doesn't include the revenue from basketball either. Though this may not be true at all schools I'm sure the athletic department doesn't need to much support from the schools fund.

Another thing is, you don't need to be pumped up for a mock trial or a academic argument, and those things arnt interesting to the general population. So a pep rally for those activity's would be worthless.

I'll end this Round with a quote
"
Many of us remember some competitive activity, usually in high school, that became a vital force in our adolescence. It gave us a self-awareness and self-confidence that changed us forever.

None of us read all of the 481,563 articles published last year on the early life and struggles of the soon-to-be president of the United States, but most of us know that if Barack Obama had not discovered basketball he would not have become the leader he is today.
"
The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com..., By Jay Mathews.
ccreus

Pro

Thanks is due to my opponent for accepting my challenge.

I do agree that sports teaches you valuable skills, and that it does gain alot of money. But the problem is, with the money the athletic department has gained, it all goes back to the athletic department. My school is only allowed 1000 printoffs for each teacher, but while our education is being limited by the amounts of copies we are allowed to have, billions of dollars are being spent on a unneeded training area for athelets. That money could be used for the following

A: Allow teachers to make more copiess so we dont spend the entire hour having to listen to and understand a test that normally would take about ten minutes

B: Other clubs that also teach how to lead and how to follow, sports arent the only things that matter

C: Make the school system able to give better supplies to the students so they can get a better education.

My opponent makes the argument that it should be reported if athletes are given special privleges, but i myself have done so, and with sports bein so popular they just blew it off saying i was being over dramatic.

And finally, my opponent fails to realize that sports are not the only thing that matters to people. I have found that around my school more people are actually interested in academics than sports, all except for those who associate with sports.

In conclusion, my opponent has failed to disprove how high school athletics have way to much attention paid to them. Thank you
CALife

Con

Most of your previous argument was off topic and attacked the state spending rather then school athletics. School athletics get minimal funding from the government and actually have to create revenue themselves via fund raising and sports games.

If you are worried about the deficit/low budget of your school then you should fund raise(or voice your opinion to your senator), because this is what high school athletes do for their athletic departments.

Your argument is: "high school athletics have to much emphasis put on it", the problem in this argument is finding out how much is to much? Too much is when the kids only focus is athletics and not passing with a 2.0+. And there are rules/laws against this, so athletes who play actually find time to do both school and athletics. Now Arguing the competence and trustworthiness of a teacher/administration is a who other argument that is based on teaching standards and qualifications and have little relevance to this argument.

Also I did the research and found schools ranging from middle to high from all around the country that require a 2.0 or higher (And none that don't).
ccreus

Pro

It is because of over attention to high school athletics that we are getting into such deficits. You state that all the money you get is from fundraising, yet after research i found that at least 20 counties in several states have spent almost $1 million
dollars on some kind of sports facility, that they already have, just not as huge and good. $1 million dollars did not come from fundraisers and football games.

You are correct to much is a matter of opinion so let me clarify what i meant and give some examples:

By to much, i meant that more emphasis is put on athletics than is on academics. One example is:
Several high schools have been caught giving thier athletes steroids, now you may be tempted to make the argument that this is a problem that is only the coach, but the player has to want to take the steroid to actually use them.

If schools are willing to give thier students steroids to win the big game, dont you think they will be more than willing to boost an athletes grade so he can play?

The fact that the administration is willing to let this happen, is actually very relevant.

Your foundation is understandable, but shaky at best. It is my personal opinion that you may be biased on the subject. but thank you for your arguments
CALife

Con

The federal government in 2009 paid $45.4 billion to the United States Department of Education, granted not all goes to public schools, but a large amount does. This amount also doesn't include state and local funding, 1million is a small amount compared to 45.4 billion. This sports facility also supports all sports such as soccer, track, football, and many more. It is also a small amount to pay considering how sports is so good for our social, metal and physical health.

Schools giving kids steroids? From what I've researched there hasn't been one school where steroids were administered by school administration. Most schools test for not only steroid use but drug use. If schools have given steroids to kids, it has been in such isolated cases where there isn't a major problem so much so that the news hasn't covered it, and has been fixed.

You use an examples that aren't supported by any factual story or evidence. You failed to present any outside sources except from your bias experiences.

And I re-enforce the word bias, seeing that you are 16, still in high school and probably uninvolved with school activity's. Also your bias is wrong, you come from Broken Arrow Oklahoma where there have been

- Meth Labs: 4
- Ice Meth: 379 Grams
- Cocaine(Crack/Powder): 119 oz
- Marijuana: 19lbs, 9oz, 46 Plants

Seized and only "107" arrests from drugs/gun/money charges. You come from a town with little to no drug use or crime. Leading me to believe you have no real experience with drugs/steroids/crime. Making your personal experiences (The only "evidence" you gave in this argument) false.

When it boils down athletics are a highly important part of our society, especially in times of obesity and overall unhealthy children. High schools athletics have given teens a extra curricular activity after school to not only occupy them but keep them out of trouble and healthy. If anything we should increase the sports programs to expand our teens health and life experiences. Because high school sports don't just positively effect teens in the present but for the future and it does this by instilling life lessons and usable skills within their character.

This whole argument my opponent has preached that I have failed to support my argument. But, read in detail, she provides no factual evidence and brings up mythical stories about schools administering steroids to our children. I challenge the readers to research the topic themselves and to find out just how unstable her argument is.

http://www.brokenarrowok.gov... ===> Broken Arrow Police Department Statistics.
http://www.news-medical.net... ===> High Schools & Drug testing.
http://en.wikipedia.org... ===> 2009 Federal budget.
Posted by CALife 7 years ago
CALife
And it is fair for them to call upon personal experience, I was just arguing she has none on the subject of crime/drugs. And i never said it wasn't the readers decision to judge her opinion, actually i recall saying: "I challenge the readers to research the topic themselves and to find out just how unstable her argument is."
Posted by CALife 7 years ago
CALife
I never laid claim that sports was educational academically, but it develops skills that help in the real world. College athletes don't get paid... And they all most maintain a 2.0 or higher to play in the NCAA. Also college recruiters don't only look at skill and talent, but GPA. My orthopedic surgeon was one of these "illiterate thugs" but he seemed to do fine in 14 years of medical training.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Sports are not an educational activities, or at best marginally, so it would be better managed as a club activity outside of school. That's especially true at the college level, where illiterate thugs are recruited and paid big money to amuse the students and alumni.

It's fair for Pro to call upon personal experience. The debate audience gets to decide whether the experience is typical or not. Pro is not claiming to be an expert, but rather appealing to common experience.

Neither side could spell "too much." Maybe if more attention were placed on academics ...
Posted by CALife 7 years ago
CALife
Read the bottom of my arguments, every link is there.
Posted by ccreus 7 years ago
ccreus
you did not state where you got these facts from. so how are we to know you did not make them up? If you want me to take your facts seriously, you would prove where they come from in the debate. and yes conceited. of course you said you were better when you voted for yourself. i prefer to get my point honestly
Posted by CALife 7 years ago
CALife
I found factual info such a the federal funding, that's a fact, Obama being a basketball player, also a fact. And your city's crime rate, another fact. Most of my statements were facts, and supported by links to where I got the info. Also, yes I did vote for myself, I thought I had a better argument, so I voted for myself. I'm sure the president voted for himself also, conceited? No, he believes he is the better man for the job.
Posted by ccreus 7 years ago
ccreus
you say at the end that i provided no faactual info, but you yourself never provided any. you stated what you found but that was it
Posted by ccreus 7 years ago
ccreus
wow calife conceited much voting for yourself?
Posted by ccreus 7 years ago
ccreus
sports does not always keep kids out of trouble
Posted by CALife 7 years ago
CALife
"teacher/administration is a who other argument that is based on teaching "

Misspell, sorry, "whole".

"i always went to schools where sports were the main things encouraged"
This is because sports keep kids out of trouble and occupied after school, when they are doing sports/homework, they aren't doing anything bad. Well that's the hope.
Vote Placed by Johnny_Canuck 7 years ago
Johnny_Canuck
ccreusCALifeTied
Vote Placed by CALife 7 years ago
CALife
ccreusCALifeTied
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 7 years ago
Ore_Ele
ccreusCALifeTied
Vote Placed by Grape 7 years ago
Grape
ccreusCALifeTied
Vote Placed by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
ccreusCALifeTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
ccreusCALifeTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
ccreusCALifeTied