lord_megatron
bman7720

history has no use in a student's life

lord_megatron

Pro

I don't see what use studying history has in a student's life. The student never really learns any mistakes not to repeat, for we aren't kings but just commoners. BOP is on con to show what uses history would have in a student's life.
bman7720

Con

I will argue that history is, in fact, useful in a student's life.

While the old saying, "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" may come to mind when this resolution is presented, I will only cover it a single time. It is crucial to remember the mistakes humans have made in the past, simply for the few that will raise to power. I agree that commoners will not benefit from the mistakes, but there are a select few that will go into some form of power.

Now, I would like to point out that history includes recent events. In our modern society, the new group of voters is highly uninformed on what they are even voting for. How can one intellectual decide upon what should happen with the war on terror when they are unaware of how the conflict even arose?
lord_megatron

Pro

'those who forget history are doomed to repeat it'
As I said, we are not kings. Few people who study in common schools may raise to such power, and moreover one can't be sure whether the person will apply and remember the lesson or not.
'New group of voters uniformed'
They will always be uniformed, for they can't have close interaction with political parties.
'War on terror'
Suppose I knew what it was. Then what? Maximum I can give an opinion about it on some site like this or the other. What if I was in region where weapons would be fired? Would I not run instinctively, rather than remember how to help victims and what were the sides involved?
Now some more my points of mine-
Who cares what happened 2000 years ago- Right now we are studying about Christianity in Europe. Even if we know what the Pope did that time, times have changed a lot now. Would anyone give taxes to religion now? Of course not. Then why do we still study it?
Memory- History seems more about memory, remembering dates, locations and sites. How are we supposed to carry any learning when what matters is this in the exam grades?
bman7720

Con

bman7720 forfeited this round.
lord_megatron

Pro

lord_megatron forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

I must forfeit this debate due to time conflicts. I give Pro victory.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
This should prove to be a short debate.
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
You can accept. I will send him a challenge later.
Posted by Lumberjay85 2 years ago
Lumberjay85
This sounds like a good debate. I would like to accept, but it appears Valkrin wants it, so I'll leave it to him. Good luck, I'll be watching this one.
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
A few things must be met first:
1. Change BoP to shared. You can't just make a claim and have no evidence for said claim.
2. Change rounds to 4, for the first round to be acceptance.
3. Define "history". It may seem dumb but I don't like going into a debate with different definitions based on the person.

If someone else accepts this I'll send a challenge to you with the criterion above.
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
I may take this.