lord_megatron
sathvikbasri

history is useful outside this debate

sathvikbasri

lord_megatron

Con

What do I care if Hitler killed thousands of Jews? Is that information going to help me in my life? Nope it isn't. Except perhaps in this debate, then it would.
sathvikbasri

Pro

I would like to stop you right there by saying that the sole aim to study history is to learn mistake made in the past and try not to repeat it in today's world. By studying the mistakes made by the Allies after World War 1, countries can learn what they should do to punish a country as well as keep peace. They can also understand that using force to stop an action can stop a global chaos.
lord_megatron

Con

I think you confuse countries with world leaders. What use do the masses have by learning history? It is not like I would have resources to fund war, and as a soldier I would have to follow orders in world war 3 (if there is one) and there is 1/10 chance I would be able to influence any war or any country in a very impactful way, much less apply my knowledge of history to win/prevent wars and crises.
sathvikbasri

Pro

A fairly valid point. I feel you have mixed up history being useful and making history. I am talking about world leaders( sorry) trying to stop another global conflict not about you taking part in one or providing resources. I suggest you strengthen your argument in the next round.

i win ;)
lord_megatron

Con

Well, what would world leaders learn from history what they can't learn themselves? As it is said "experience is the best teacher" shouldn't a leader experience ruling his country rather than resorting to advice from history books? And not many countries want war these days. Territory borders are fixed, unlike the medieval times. Conquering one country without a reason will evoke wrath from the entire world. Times have changed, and history can no longer provide the right course of action. And anyways, if 1/10000000 people use history, I don't think history can be counted as useful. Good luck to Pro, probably won this debate.
sathvikbasri

Pro

rebuttal #1

so what you are trying to tell me is that i can become a world leader without studying history. Let me give you an example, Donald Trump says "we need to build a wall" and "ban all muslims". last time someone tried to do that, he wiped out 2 thirds of the jewish population and dragged the entire world into a global conflict. I will now conclude by saying make up your decision. If you still stand to your point, i pity your intelligence
Posted by lord_megatron 9 months ago
lord_megatron
I know right? History really doesn't have any practical use, whatever the voters say
Posted by Longline 9 months ago
Longline
i kind of agree that history is not useful in the present time. yes our ancestor did a lot of stupid things, that does not means that they did not have common sense. In fact i think history is causing more problem then ever. Like when it comes to the human race. we have boundaries well because according to history your from a different land, and i am from a another. Or my people did this to your people long time ago. like all of these things brings a certain kind of pain and perhaps shameless. might make one person to feel more power then the other because according to history that person ancestor where warriors brave and strong. we often follow what we believe, and if history is indeed a form of religion of it's own, then we are still making believe of inexperience events.
Vote Placed by Reigon 9 months ago
Reigon
lord_megatronsathvikbasriTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forgets that in most first world countries leaders are democratically elected. History is a necessity as voters are the ones that elect the president who will need to know history and current events to succeed in their job.