urapai
dtaylor971

hockey is better basketball

dtaylor971
Started: 12/14/2013 Category: Sports

urapai

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance
dtaylor971

Con

I accept this debate.
urapai

Pro

Firstly, from what I notice in both games, hockey requires much more skill. It is much harder to control a small cylinder with a stick while wearing a lot of padding on skates than running while bouncing quite a big ball. Also, you need to use your entire body in hockey, sometimes you need to kick the puck, or catch it and lay it down. Also you need to score on a net that is almost completely covered by a goalie.

Secondly it involves more teamwork. In hockey, you constantly pass the puck to your other team mates, while another team mate helps out by screening the goalie. When I watch basketball, All I see is people running around to get the ball, and once someone does, he just runs to the other side, takes a shot, and boom, 2 points instantly.

Lastly, in hockey, you need to be physical, and be willing to lay down your body for the game. In hockey, you hit others for the puck, and you even lay down your body just to block the puck. In basket ball, if someone touches your arm while you shoot, it's a foul.

Those are my points for now, I await your response.
dtaylor971

Con

Thank you for your opinion.

"Firstly, from what I notice in both games, hockey requires much more skill."
May I start off by saying you failed to say which game is more fun for the players or the fans. I'm going to go with the fans, so skill is not a valid argument. Skill would be for the players.

"Secondly it involves more teamwork."
You don't want to see teamwork in sports, you want to see a guy take it all the way and break a backboard with a dunk. Which looks more fun:

I'm not even going to include the second one, the first one is that awesome.

Now for my arguments:

Fans want to see high-scoring games where people score constantly. An average basketball game is about 105-95 [1]. An average hockey game is 2-1 or 3-1, which isn't as fun to see.

You tell me which sport you like better now. All of your arguments were that it was better for the players, but we are talking about better for the fans.

[1] http://espn.go.com...
urapai

Pro

To start off, I would like to point out that this is a debate about the sport in general, not just the media perspective. Just because the fans watch it more does not make it a better sport. Now let's start things off:

"Fans want to see high-scoring games where people score constantly."
http://www.sportsnetworker.com...
According to this long article, if you scroll down to "Celebrities in social media", you notice that fans like seeing sports with popular athletes. Athletes become famous through amazing plays, their team and sometimes what they do for their community, and how they promote teamwork. Hockey players help out a lot, for example, Sidney Crosby donated his golden metal to charity.
http://www.newswire.ca...
Also he makes amazing plays that involve teamwork and a lot of dangling. I basket-ball, all you do is run and shoot by yourself, not promoting teamwork.
Secondly:
An average basketball game is about 105-95 [1].
This demonstrates how easy it is to get points in basket-ball, and how little skill it requires. Hockey has much less points because it is much harder and requires more skill.
Now for my arguments:
Hockey requires more thought. In hockey games, the coach need to perfectly time everything. When players are going to switch, which players should go on etc. They have to work hard, and plan things out perfectly. In basket-ball it is non-stop running, what is the thought in that?
Secondly, the fans are much more invested in the game. The fans are so crazy about their teams. Unlike in basket ball. Basket ball has many fans, and a bigger franchise than hockey. But hockey fans care much more about their teams. Think about it, when Vancouver lost to Boston, they started a riot!
http://news.nationalpost.com...

Your turn.
dtaylor971

Con

"You notice that fans like seeing sports with popular athletes."
Hockey: Sidney Crosby
Basketball: Lebron James, James Harden, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Tim Duncan, Brook Lopez, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose, Dirk Nowitzski, etc.
...You were saying?

"Hockey players help out a lot, for example, Sidney Crosby donated his golden metal to charity."
http://www.nba.com...
The whole Spurs played shoeless once, dude.

"Also he makes amazing plays that involve teamwork and a lot of dangling."
Common Clippers routine:
Rebound by Redick
Pass to Paul
Pass to Jordan,
Give it to Griffin for the dunk. Also, you only specified one player. Must I say that in overtime in hockey, a shootout, you're on your own with ono teammate whatsoever?!

"This demonstrates how easy it is to get points in basket-ball, and how little skill it requires. Hockey has much less points because it is much harder and requires more skill."
I'm gonna stop you right there. Basketball doesn't require skill? You try shooting a ball that is barely small enough to fit through a small rim. It's actually hard to play, the NBA just makes it look easy.

"In basket-ball it is non-stop running, what is the thought in that?"
In hock-ey it is non-stop skating, what is the thought in that? Also, coaches substitute a player once every 3 or four minuets in basketball, which is more than hockey.

"Secondly, the fans are much more invested in the game. "
NBA's Chicago: 22,000 per game http://espn.go.com...
NHL's Montreal: 19,000 per game http://espn.go.com...
Fans being invested in the game isn't always a good thing. It actually makes the sport worse when their fans start a huge riot in the middle of Vancouver!

Vote Placed by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
urapaidtaylor971Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins this hands down!
Vote Placed by miketheman1200 3 years ago
miketheman1200
urapaidtaylor971Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con loses conduct for trying to claim that Pros argument was invalid because its not the way he wanted to argue. Pros argument about skill were valid. Con kept trying to bring it back to fans as validation for which sport is better. Tied on sources and grammar.