zezima
Avamys

homeschool

zezima

Pro

Homeschooling is better then public school.
Avamys

Con

I thank Pro for starting this debate. As Con, I will be debating that public school is better than homeschool.

As Pro has failed to mention any rules or the structure of the debate, let me propose my own.
1. No swearing or calling names
2. Arguments and rebuttals allowed at all times, but no new arguments should be put forth in the last round.

So, I will let Pro start his opening argument.
zezima

Pro

Homeschool can be better then normal school for many reasons.
1.) Absolutely no bullying.
2.) Taught more on what is important in life, and can control of what you learn.
3.) Study at your own paste and have 1 on 1 sessions making it easier to learn the material.
These are just a few example.
I ask you to come up with your own and I will reply to yours.
Reply to mine if you wish.
Avamys

Con

Here are my points and rebuttals.

"Study at your own paste and have 1 on 1 sessions making it easier to learn the material."
Here my opponent has made a spelling mistake, therefore costing him a selling/grammar mark.

Yes, there is a smaller possibility of getting bullied in homeschool, and being bullied is not good, however the purpose of going to school is to learn! There is also a smaller possibility of learning how to be independent! Going to school means that the child"s parents are not by his/her side all the time, so when sudden incidents such as dirtying their clothes happens, the child can learn how to deal with it without their parents. Being independent is very important as parents are not there forever for the child.

Also, being homeschooled means that the child will have less learning opportunities. For example, doing a group project at school helps develop leadership skills, but as a homeschooled child that is impossible. Also, it is easier to book a field trip as a school than as a small group. The child will also have fewer opportunities to participate in group sports.

Family crises, illness and lax supervision by parents can interfere with learning. When parents are sick, they cannot teach their children, and as a result, a day of learning time is wasted. One single day might not have such a great impact, but when you add in all the days that the parent gets sick or has to deal with something important like the passing away of a family member, the impact is increased. However, in schools, there are a lot of teachers, so in case one gets sick, another teacher who teaches the same subject can substitute and the child"s learning process will not be slowed down.

I look forward to hearing my opponent's rebuttals.
zezima

Pro

I go to public school so whatever spelling mistake I made only proves home schooling is better :p
Yes the purpose of school is to learn. But bullying isn't something you can help. Public school doesn't necessarily teach you how to be independent. Just because your parents are also your teacher doesn't mean they do everything for you.

There might be more group projects at school, but that doesn't mean anything. There could be that one group that has one person working and the others not doing anything. A kid home schooled is forced to do the project himself and there is no-one to do it for him.

How is it easier to book field trips for groups then one person? Please explain.
Group sports all depend on where you live. My middle school had no sport teams, but had many "town" teams. Also in high school, you could get cut and never be on the team in the first place.

When a parent or child is sick, they can make up the day whenever they want. It's not as strict as public school. You miss a day, you make it up. Is as simple as that.
Also dealing with a death in the family, or a friend, etc. I would think have an affect on your school attendance going to public school or not. Again home schooling could make up that day while public school can't.
Avamys

Con

"I go to public school so whatever spelling mistake I made only proves home schooling is better :p"
This argument is not valid as homeschooled children make spelling mistakes as well.

"Public school doesn't necessarily teach you how to be independent. Just because your parents are also your teacher doesn't mean they do everything for you."
Yes, parents do not do everything for their children but they do help. For example, if the child spilled his/her lunch, they would tell him/her to get a cloth to clean it up, and perhaps cook something for him/her. At school, no one would be there to remind you what to do.

"There might be more group projects at school, but that doesn't mean anything. There could be that one group that has one person working and the others not doing anything."
True, this is a possible scenario, however that would teach a student how to cope with such things. In the future, when the child is working, something similar might happen too, because people have working relationships. He/she will have to learn how to deal with it if the other side is uncooperative.

"Also dealing with a death in the family, or a friend, etc. I would think have an affect on your school attendance going to public school or not. Again home schooling could make up that day while public school can't."
I was talking about the parent. The child can still go to school if the parent"s friend died, or a member of the family passed away.

"How is it easier to book field trips for groups then one person? Please explain."
For example, if a school and a parent tried to book a visit to a fire station at the same time, the school would most likely be accepted, because of the number of people. If a parent and his/her child booked a visit all to themselves, it would classify as a private visit, which would not be allowed, since the money used was public, government money. Also, a fire station needs to operate even if there is a visit. Two people or one school, they both require one guide. Would you use one person to benefit two or one person to benefit a class? The manager would definitely choose the latter.

"Group sports all depend on where you live. My middle school had no sport teams, but had many "town" teams. Also in high school, you could get cut and never be on the team in the first place."
True, you might not be in a sports team, but you could still participate in group sports during Physical Education lessons. You could get cut from a team, but at least there is a higher chance of being in a team. If you studied in a school, you could choose from being in the school team or being in the "town team", but if you were homeschooled, you only have one choice, therefore making it harder to enter a team.

zezima

Pro

1.) That was a joke lol.

2.) If a child spills their lunch, sometimes they run away ( I have witnessed this), the janitor picks it up, or the janitor/teacher tells them to pick it up. I'm also pretty sure a kid home schooled could pick up his lunch without his mom telling him to.

3.) In this scenario, the home schooled child could learn independence and learn how to deal with things himself.

4.) If a member of the family died, I think the kid would go to school that day anyways. Again, homeschooling can make up that day, while public school cannot.

5.) These are only certain situations. There are also plenty where it would be easier to bring one child. For example another country.

6.) At least where I live, you can't get cut from town teams, therefore it is easier to be on that.The amount of "cuts" depends on the sport and the school.
Avamys

Con

"If a child spills their lunch, sometimes they run away ( I have witnessed this), the janitor picks it up, or the janitor/teacher tells them to pick it up. I'm also pretty sure a kid home schooled could pick up his lunch without his mom telling him to."
True, I cannot deny this could have happened, but then the child would gain experience and know what to do. There are rules at school, which mean you should pick up what you dropped, which is in this case your lunch. The child would know how to get a broom or mop to clean up the mess. A parent helping the child to do so is more likely than a teacher/janitor helping the child to do so, because of the rules at school.

"These are only certain situations. There are also plenty where it would be easier to bring one child. For example another country."
Yes, it is indeed easier to bring just one child to another country, but when you go to that other country, to make the trip educational, don"t you have to visit museums or factories? It is easier to book museums or factory visits as a large group.

"At least where I live, you can't get cut from town teams, therefore it is easier to be on that.The amount of "cuts" depends on the sport and the school."
Whether or not you get cut is not the concern. Everyone living in the area has that privilege. But students studying at schools have one more: being on the school team. My opponent has made a grammar mistake in this sentence.

Sure, home schooling could make up for that. But these cases are not as common as the cases of parents getting sick. When parents are sick they cannot teach, but when teachers are sick substitutes come in and students do not miss the lesson. My opponent has made a grammar mistake in this sentence.

I look forward to hearing my opponent's rebuttals!
zezima

Pro

1."Child spilling lunch" " a parent could do the same. When a child spills lunch at his house, there is nothing he can run away to. Either way, school isn"t about learning how to pick up your lunch.
2."Field trips" " you don"t have to "book" museums, and going to other countries to check out the factories isn"t really a good point. If we go to another country, it is to learn the heritage and culture, language, etc. Not factories.
3.Again I blame public school for not teaching me great grammar techniques. Yes its true, school sports is one more option, but that is not what school is about. There is more to school then sports, in fact a lot more. Not everybody plays sports, therefore it would have no effect on them.
4.Again, as explained before, home schooling can make up that day. Public school cannot. Again I blame public school for not teaching me proper grammar. lol
Avamys

Con

" "Field trips" " you don"t have to "book" museums, and going to other countries to check out the factories isn"t really a good point. If we go to another country, it is to learn the heritage and culture, language, etc. Not factories."
Firstly, my opponent made a few grammar mistakes. Secondly, yes, you can just buy a ticket to go into the museum, but you cannot hire a guide to lead you through the exhibits and explain more to you, telling you more background information and details than the exhibits do. Yes, going to a country does not necessarily require going to a factory, but when you go there to learn the culture sometimes you need to. For example, an important part of China"s culture is the making of china and silk. To learn more, you"d have to visit a factory.

"Again I blame public school for not teaching me great grammar techniques."
This is not true. I study in a public school too. Plenty of students who enter the tops universities each year are from public schools. Your case is probably exceptional, or that you are not really paying attention to your grammar.

"Yes its true, school sports is one more option, but that is not what school is about. There is more to school then sports, in fact a lot more. Not everybody plays sports, therefore it would have no effect on them."
School is indeed not all about sports. However, we still have sports lessons as they help train our body to be fit, develop leadership skills in group sports, as well as communication between players. Sports that are not played in teams cannot achieve good leadership and communication skills.

I thank my opponent for starting this debate and not forfeiting it.