supportingopp
Samcoder1

homework brings more good than harm

supportingopp

Con

homework causes stress that is very unhealthy and dangerous to the health of students
Samcoder1

Pro

I think that homework reinforces information taught at school, which is extremely valuable when it comes to exams, and even later life. I had enormous amounts of homework at school, and so did well in my exams, and I'm very grateful for the knowledge I now possess because it was hammered into me through homework. It does increase stress, but think that really is just an excuse to be lazy, as homework nowadays takes so little time that I doubt it prevents people playing video games or watching TV etc. Homework is valuable for forging a productive, clever, society from our younger generation that in turn improves the lives of everyone who benefits from cars, computers, medicine, and various other things that are only accessible because of their creation by people who know what they're talking about i.e those who learnt from their studies by consolidating the facts outside of the classroom.
supportingopp

Con

A study by a group of Australian researchers found the average scores of relating to students" academic performances against the amount of homework dished out at the end of the school day, showed clearly that when more time was spent on homework students were getting lower scores. The research clearly suggested that placing too much homework can cause lower grades and even lead pupils to begin suffering from depression. Therefore, you can give whatever statistic you want but we are basing this on the majority of students and not specific individuals. Homework causes stress but is is just an excuse to be lazy? How sure are you that homework this days are taking so little time? It may be true for you, but again its not about you. It is about the majority of students. Chinese school students especially stay up until 1 in the morning just for the sake of doing their homework which brings me to another point. What point is there in giving homework if all the students are just completing it for the sake of doing it and not for actually gaining the knowledge as you mention? At the end of the day, students will copy off homework from another friend's one and do it for the sake of doing it. What point is there?
Samcoder1

Pro

It would be very helpful if you could cite the study that you claim refutes my point, anyone can claim a study said this and that but without a citation it is meaningless. I'm assuming you are referring to this study (See citation at bottom of page) which conducted on just over 4,000 students showed that there is a correlatory link (not causal!) between poor grades and homework. What you fail to mention is the mean number of hours of homework per night in the schools used was 3.1 hours. 3.1 hours every single night. Now I'm not claiming that this amount of homework is appropriate, and I'm hardly surprised kids are doing worse with those ridiculous numbers. The amount of stress from that would be ridiculous. However the person that led the research did cite prior research that said roughly 2 hours a night is much better, and never once implied that there should be no homework, but rather less of it. This debate is 'homework brings more harm than good', and I would fully agree with you if this homework is coming in at 3 hours every night. However this doesn't not mean homework does more harm than good. If you eat too much fruit you'll get sick, that doesn't mean fruit is bad for you.

If Chinese students are staying up all night doing homework then that should stop too! However this is again steering away from the topic on debate which I will repeat 'homework causes more harm than good'. It is NOT 'Too much homework causes more harm than good'. Your choice of words was what drew me into this debate, and so I wont be debating the amount of homework. Students may not like homework, however it is their responsibility to learn. I think that the current syllabi that students learn now are too big to be fully learnt in the classroom, unless school hours are greatly extended. If we were to remove all homework, students would either need an extra year to make sure they actually know what they have been taught, or will need to stay at school to the end of the day making sure they have learnt it. At this point we might as well give them some exercises to do. Although anecdotes mean nothing in debate, I happen to have gone to both a state and a private school, and so experienced a varied level of teaching, and one of the biggest differences I noticed between the schools were the amounts of homework. The schools with the best results set more homework. This doesn't mean 3 hours a night, but it means more than most other schools set at the moment.

This debate asks us if homework causes more bad than good. Now if set in enormous portions yes it can, but the same can be said of anything. Homework very likely is good when set in moderation, and this extreme response with 'homework causes harm because you can see negative effects when in excess' is a total leap of faith. I suggest you find a study showing small amounts of homework cause harm before declaring homework in general as causing more harm than good.

http://news.stanford.edu...
supportingopp

Con

You are basically giving me the win here. You say that homework does more good than harm but too much homework is not good. In this debate, my setup is that every homework, little or much is counted as homework. Rather than stating a proper point to support your case, you basically rebutted everything I said in the absolute wrong way. Too much homework is not good, which means little homework is good but what point is there in giving homework? Like I said previously, students end up cheating and copying their classmates' homework. Then, you mentioned that I failed because the statistics were based on poor grades and not homework. Let me ask you a question. What was the main purpose teachers' had when they gave homework to their students? It was so they could learn from there and improve their knowledge on a certain topic. And why do this? To ensure they get decent marks in their examinations. So if a homework is given, and like the statistics have proved, is causing the downfall of students, not bringing them anywhere but rather dragging them down, then what is the point of giving homework anyway? By the way, fruits when eaten a lot does not make you sick, but because it is healthy for your body, if it makes you unwell, it means your body is just processing and the illness would not last long. Students do not like homework. You yourself mentioned that, so if you yourself admits it and decide to go on my side, then what is the point of having this debate in the first place?

Homework also causes the psychological harm to children and teachers. Firstly, maybe a student is involved with other activities that occupy his time. We all can relate to that. Another student, has all the time in the world to complete his homework. The next day, the teacher scolds the student who does not complete the homework as she does not know his or her background, like why they could not complete the homework and praises the one who completes the homework. This makes teacher grow far apart from the student who does not complete the homework, thus, he struggles as the teacher does not teach him properly and underestimate him just because he cannot complete the homework the teacher gave him but because of reasons that are actually true. Secondly, this increases favoritism. How? A teacher likes the student who completes the homework and treats him well compared to the rest of the class. Then, the class is broken down into divisions. Examples are the ones who are smart, the ones who are dumb, the hardworking ones, the dumb ones, etc. Why is this? All because of the homework the teacher gave them. This is an unhealthy bond for the students and they could eventually drop out from school because of what? Homework!
Samcoder1

Pro

I'm not giving you the win here at all, I am saying that in small amounts homework is a very good thing. Now you say that in this context, homework includes lots and little, and I simply disagree with this. I return to my fruit idea, if you eat 40 apples in a day, you will get sick. It is not healthy by any means to eat that number, however an apple day keeps the doctor away as the saying goes. I don't know where you learnt your biology, but too much of anything can cause problems. Fruit is no exception.

The statistics do NOT show that students do badly when they are given homework, it shows they do badly when they are given TOO MUCH homework. The bad grades are probably due to the stress caused when teachers set unrealistic amounts of homework. That doesn't mean homework in general is bad, but simply that the teacher has bad judgement when it comes to how much the students can do. Your statistic showed 3 hours a day, and I think that is too much.

You claim that the statistics show that homework causes students to do worse, I disagree. Here is an article by a collection of researchers which suggests that homework improves grades (see below). I quote 'Across five studies, the average student who did homework had a higher unit test score than the students not doing homework.' Homework clearly can cause improved grades and worsened grades, but again too much is not helping anyone. You could easily say: 'Well if a student was set 10 hours of homework a night he would do worse than someone who wasn't set any' it is very obvious. 10 hours of homework is insane and of course would exhaust the student. However claiming that because 10 hours of homework inhibits development, homework in general is bad is nonsense.

Your story of how homework destroys student-teacher relationships sounds like nonsense to me too, and unless you can prove this actually happens I don't believe you. It seems incredibly far fetched, and I think dropping out of school would result from a range of things, personal and non personal, and we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that homework is to blame for everything a student feels in his years at school.

Maybe kids will copy homework, and we have a duty to try to minimise that, but this doesn't mean homework in general is useless. Many studies suggest teenagers still do better as is in the citation below, and so even if they do copy, they still do better anyway. Also just because students don't like homework, that doesn't mean it isn't good for them. Students don't tend to like eating their greens either, would you get rid of them too? Besides which I doubt students like school in the first place, but they must go nonetheless.

Homework is an excellent way to make people more knowledgeable about the world around them, which is exactly what we need if we want to overcome the complex problems of renewable energy and climate change we will be faced with in the years to come. It thus causes far more good than bad in spite of the fact that some schools misuse it and set too much.

http://www.sedl.org...
Posted by Samcoder1 10 months ago
Samcoder1
When voting do we just vote for ourselves on everything?