Sanfran
LotusNG

homework should be banned because its bad

LotusNG

Sanfran

Pro

so yes, homework is bad, and i will prove that. accept only if u have lots of time because my arguments are really big.
LotusNG

Con

I will happily accept this argument.

Thank you, pro, for such an interesting topic.
Sanfran

Pro

thank you for your compliment.

first of all, hw is boring... right? everyone can agree that its not FUN to do. so why should we do it? that question may seem stupid, but its true. if u have ur life taken away from u by hw, then thats immoral, because its no different then slavery. however, if hw was helpful, then this argument would be wrong, right? most people think homework is helpful because teachers told them its helpful. but theres no prooof.... at alll. einstein never went to school or did any homework. neither did i. im smart, evne though im not 'book' smart. also, cavemen existed without homework for AGES and AGES and they were smart enough to become into people that go to the moon and invented ipods and computers. that means that homework is uncessary, because people didnt need it wen they did all this 'smart' people stuff.

2nd point: hw is bad because it makes u NON unique. therfore, being this makes u a robot, and u cant even think, ur like a caluclator that cant do anything but numbers (like how people tell you to do stuff).

3rd point: hw makes people go to college, which costs a lot of money. things that cost a lot of money that dont give a person anything but paries are BAD and take away money from society to buy food and medical supplies

thanks everyone.
LotusNG

Con

(I apologize, but I may seem a little less professional. I had very little sleep last night, so apologies in advance)

"first of all, hw is boring... right? everyone can agree that its not FUN to do. so why should we do it? that question may seem stupid, but its true. if u have ur life taken away from u by hw, then thats immoral, because its no different then slavery."

1. I don't know what hw is, please clarify, and stop talking about two random letters that don't make up a word.
2. Assuming you're talking about homework, it is meant to help reinforce what you learned in school earlier that day, to help you remember what you learned so you can be prepared for tests, finals, quizzes, etc.
3. I don't see how homework can take your entire life away, as you are only in school (for the U.S. ) until you are about 18, unless you fail and have to retake a grade level, or go to college.
4. slave is defined primarily as: a person held in servitude as the chattel of another (http://www.merriam-webster.com... ). Homework cannot be slavery. It is not a person, and doesn't own anyone. Therefore, homework is nothing like slavery.

"however, if hw was helpful, then this argument would be wrong, right? most people think homework is helpful because teachers told them its helpful. but theres no prooof.... at alll. einstein never went to school or did any homework. neither did i. im smart, evne though im not 'book' smart. also, cavemen existed without homework for AGES and AGES and they were smart enough to become into people that go to the moon and invented ipods and computers. that means that homework is uncessary, because people didnt need it wen they did all this 'smart' people stuff."

1. There is proof. I don't even have to use a link. I am the proof. Because of homework I have learned much about astronomy, physics, Edgar Allen Poe, and read the spectacular books, "Night" and "The Great Gatsby". Please show evidence as to how reading amazing books and learning spectacular new things is unhelpful.
2. (About Albert Einstein) "Six weeks later the family moved to Munich, where he later on began his schooling at the Luitpold Gymnasium. Later, they moved to Italy and Albert continued his education at Aarau, Switzerland and in 1896 he entered the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich to be trained as a teacher in physics and mathematics. In 1901, the year he gained his diploma, he acquired Swiss citizenship and, as he was unable to find a teaching post, he accepted a position as technical assistant in the Swiss Patent Office. In 1905 he obtained his doctor's degree." (http://www.nobelprize.org...)
3. But you do need school and homework. It helps build up your vocabulary and grammar so you can debate some random girl on the internet and gain the one point for spelling and grammar (I won't even touch on the positive effects homework can have in the long term).

"2nd point: hw is bad because it makes u NON unique. therfore, being this makes u a robot, and u cant even think, ur like a caluclator that cant do anything but numbers (like how people tell you to do stuff)."

1. "The nonacademic benefits of homework include fostering independence and responsibility." (http://education.stateuniversity.com...)
2. "A robot is a mechanical or virtual artificial agent, usually an electro-mechanical machine that is guided by a computer program or electronic circuitry. " (http://en.wikipedia.org... And yes, I know not to completely trust wikipedia, feel free to argue this evidence) This definition proves that people that do homework are not robots, as they are not mechanical or virtual artificial agents.

1. Homework does not make you go to college, as anyone out of high school who aren't in college.
2. Please clarify the rest of this point, I can't seem to grasp what you are saying.
Sanfran

Pro

if u dont know what hw means that means that your brain has been DESTROYED by it. idiot. hw is hw. thats the definition. slavery is whatever i call it, because its all up to the person, stop trying to trick the audience, they know the truth(hopefully) and will vote for whos right because thats what the rule is.

no,. there is NOOOOOOOOOOO PROOOOOOOOOF. stop lying. hw is evil, i already proved that, so therefore your lying. also einstein didnt do homework. your source is wrong.

rebuttal to your stupid so called '3 point'

it does make u go to college because people that do good in school go there. thats what my friend tells me. that is bad because college costs like hundreds of dollars, and u dont get anything out of it. i mean u get no items out of it, thereore, its just entertain ment, like tv, therfore, it should be banned, except tv shouldnt because thats fun.
LotusNG

Con

"if u dont know what hw means that means that your brain has been DESTROYED by it. idiot. hw is hw. thats the definition. slavery is whatever i call it, because its all up to the person, stop trying to trick the audience, they know the truth(hopefully) and will vote for whos right because thats what the rule is."

Actually, the voters normally are meant to vote for who is more convincing, not who is "right."

"no,. there is NOOOOOOOOOOO PROOOOOOOOOF. stop lying. hw is evil, i already proved that, so therefore your lying. also einstein didnt do homework. your source is wrong. "

You have done nothing to prove that my source is wrong, or that homework is evil.

"it does make u go to college because people that do good in school go there. thats what my friend tells me. that is bad because college costs like hundreds of dollars, and u dont get anything out of it. i mean u get no items out of it, thereore, its just entertain ment, like tv, therfore, it should be banned, except tv shouldnt because thats fun."

1. I know a friend who "did good in school" and she didn't go to college.
2. College costs well over a couple hundred dollars, at least in the U.S.
3. College is meant to educate, not entertain.

From the Free Dictionary:
a. An institution of higher learning that grants the bachelor's degree in liberal arts or science or both.
b. An undergraduate division or school of a university offering courses and granting degrees in a particular field.
c. A school, sometimes but not always a university, offering special instruction in professional or technical subjects.
(http://www.thefreedictionary.com...)

None of these mention entertainment, I'm sorry to say.

Thank you for the debate.
Posted by Tiff 3 years ago
Tiff
Homework shouldn't be banned!

But I do agree, it should be optional and not graded upon how well they complete the assignment. I do not understand why something that is meant for a practicing mechanism should be graded and determine whether or not they are a failure or not. Homework should be completed, IF the student so chooses, teachers can carry about their corrections, suggestions, and comments and the student takes advantage of their feedback. But overloading the student on forced work and homework causes poor mental, social, and physical health. Especially in United States higher levels of education, where the students are not properly prepped in High School or beforehand. It's ridiculous.

Highly monitored tests and quizzes are the only things that should be graded to determine passing or failing. Homework should be optional and the students responsibility and choice if they feel they need the extra help. Classwork should be optional as well. More lectures, less classwork.

I have found lecturing to be much more beneficial than just filling out worksheet after worksheet after worksheet. This were in High School, and I WISHED the teachers would lecture more because I learned better. I had a better understanding. I am no longer in High School, but I do enjoy the lectures of college and note taking and they are MUCH more beneficial than endless classwork. The rest is bogus.
Posted by DenzelUram 4 years ago
DenzelUram
I believe we should still have homework, but not in the traditional way in which we have now. Homework is there to help you learn, practice, and succeed in school. It should not be used to overload a student or to determine their grade.
Posted by IshaLLwIN 4 years ago
IshaLLwIN
I dont think homework should be banned, but just used more carefully. Many students waste days of their life doing something that will never help them in their life. The education system in the U.S. is bogus. (BTW I live in U.S.) The fact you went to school is more useful than what you learned in school.
Posted by masterdebater6969 4 years ago
masterdebater6969
We get enough work in school. Our teachers always say we should do work on our "free" time. That's sad if my normal time is at school and my free time is at home doing homework.
Posted by Spartan028 4 years ago
Spartan028
I believe that homework should not be banned from the education system for it has its necessary reasons to be allowed. Its meant for a test prep so you can fully understand the section that the class is going over.
Posted by JCPWLJ 4 years ago
JCPWLJ
lol this guy..
Posted by Sanfran 4 years ago
Sanfran
trolled can only happen in actual life, because the internet cant hurt u
Posted by Sanfran 4 years ago
Sanfran
your rude, and thats why your a bad person. im not supposed to talk to rude people. that means bye,
Posted by DarkerThanBlack 4 years ago
DarkerThanBlack
I'm seriously starting to question whether Sanfran is mentally challenged or not. This is just really dumb in general. Maybe in Sanfran did his/her "hw" he/she would know a thing or two.
Posted by Sanfran 4 years ago
Sanfran
be trolled is impossible, because this isnt real life. learn some logic.
Vote Placed by cybertron1998 4 years ago
cybertron1998
SanfranLotusNGTied
Reasons for voting decision: con put forward so much more reliable information
Vote Placed by effimero89 4 years ago
effimero89
SanfranLotusNGTied
Reasons for voting decision: trololololol pwn myspace.com
Vote Placed by Walrus101 4 years ago
Walrus101
SanfranLotusNGTied
Reasons for voting decision: Maybe some of us aren't "Hip" enough to know what hw means. I suppose it means "Hello World" which really doesn't seem related. That is why you must in fact lose. U is no substitute for you, since we are debating, and not texting.
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 4 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
SanfranLotusNGTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Con because Pro insulted him. S/g goes to con because there's this cool thing on newer computer models called the shift key. Con gets arguments because Pro's only argument was 'hw is bad'. Sources go to Con because they had several sources, as opposed to Pro, who had none. This isn't intended as a votebomb.