generalrex
JayShay

homework should not be done in kindergarten

generalrex

Pro

when you first star kindergarten u receive homework on the second week so u don't know what to do so when don't do it u will get yelled at so vote on what u think.
JayShay

Con

Hello! I accept your debate.

I will argue that homework should be given during kindergarten.

Pro states that "when you first start kindergarten [you] receive homework on the second week so [you] don't know what to do..." kindergarteners' homework is usually something along the lines of writing your name five times or drawing pictures of your house. Kids are never expected to complete their work on their own. They will usually be supervised by their teacher during class time and clearly instructed on what their assignment is and how to do it. At home they will be further aided by their parents, older siblings or legal guardian.

My opponent writes that in the case that a child returns to school the next day with incomplete homework, the child "will get yelled at." It seems to me that there is a negative correlation between grade level and the teacher's patience. In other words, the younger the kids are, the more patience the teacher seems to possess. I remember bits and pieces of my kindergarten class, but what I remember the most is how kind and patient my teacher was. Patience and tolerance are the most important traits of teachers with young children. If a kindergarten teacher actually yelled at a child for not having completed his/her homework, the child would likely become upset and tell his parents after school, who may call the school's administration. Also, many K through 8 classes have an assistant teacher (ex. a college student) who would likely say something in response to such erratic behavior.

Kindergarten is defined as "a class or small school for young children, usually between the ages of four and six to prepare them for primary education" (http://dictionary.reference.com...). If we want children to be prepared for primary education, homework can only help them by reinforcing fundamental skills such as writing, hand-eye coordination and responsibility.

Homework should be given during kindergarten.

I look forward to my opponent's response.
generalrex

Pro

generalrex forfeited this round.
JayShay

Con

In the case that my opponent has forgotten to return for round two, I will make no further arguments and allow Pro to begin round three.
generalrex

Pro

generalrex forfeited this round.
JayShay

Con

That's a bummer. To anybody who is reading, I will provide a few more points.

Homework in kindergarten builds many skills that the kids will be using in the years to come. Usually their curriculum includes counting, writing the alphabet (uppercase and lowercase), and basic addition and subtraction. These skills are crucial and will be needed in the coming years. Practicing these at home with their parents/siblings consolidates these skills even further, and allows kids to receive help if needed.

I hope my opponent comes back for the next round.
generalrex

Pro

generalrex forfeited this round.
JayShay

Con

Extend previous arguments.
Posted by diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid 1 year ago
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Just do your homework. You're going to get more next year in first grade so get used to it.