homosexuals should not be allowed to marry or adopt

I state that homosexual marriage is illegitimate and that a homosexual couple can not properly raise a child. As the instigator I have the Burden of proof. I look forward to a response.

Thank you for starting this highly controversial topic

In order for a marriage to be 'fully legitimate', two things are necessary. One is recognition by the state. The other (which is technically optional) is recognition by a religous institution. Currently, the states of Iowa, Massachussets, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine have legalized same-sex marriage (1). Each of these states contains a relgious institution somewhere or another in it willing to recognize a same -sex marriage. Therefore, homosexual marriages can be legitimate and the resolution is negated.

More importantly, passing any statue to explicitly ban marriage by people of the sames-sex can have only one purpose, and that is to discriminate. As a result, laws banning gay marriage do not hold up to strict scrutinty, meaning that they stand in violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment (2).

Moreover, homosexuality is not 'voluntary' or a 'lifestyle choice'. Most scholars are in general agreement that homosexuality is either caused by genetics or early psychological trauma (3,4).

My opponent's point concerning homosexuals raising kids is disproved by these sources (5).

Finally, I would like to point out that the Supreme Court's decision is "Lawerence v. Texas" (2003) stated that the constitution is not bound by any moral code, not even a Judeo-Christian one. As Anthony Kennedy stated in the majority opinion, "Our obligation is to define the liberty of all, not to mandate our own moral code." (6). The right to privacy supersedes personal notions of morality not mentioned in the constitution.

I think that I've more than negated the resolution.

Thank You

Mr.victorious forfeited this round.

I'll just wait for my opponent.........

Mr.victorious forfeited this round.

well, that's that.............
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
"Online: 13 Minutes Ago"

No, he can't.
If this hasn't been accepted by the time you log on, please edit the challenge so that there is a definite voting period, and I'll accept.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
Can you quickly edit that part to 1 month or so?
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
"The voting period will last indefinitely."

Vote Placed by gabe17 6 years ago