jsierra3114
vardaanbhat

how does materialism impact our present understanding of happiness?

jsierra3114

Con

I believe materialism impacts our understanding of happiness because we believe that to be happy we need to be able to have all the material goods that we can have and if we do not have that we are not happy , but in reality material goods only makes us happy for just a few hours or maybe days.
vardaanbhat

Pro

You claim material goods do not provide true happiness. I oppose this. Let us investigate your claim.

We must begin by asking, what is happiness? Happiness is "a mental or emotional state of well-being defined by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy." What are emotions and well-being? Our emotions are a result of our values; if we value something, we have positive feelings towards it, if we do not, we have negative feelings toward it.

Now, how can we have values? All values are tied to reality, to existence. We cannot value that which does not exist and cannot exist; we cannot value nothingness. We value aspects or potential aspects of reality.

That which is material is that which exists, it is something concrete.

You never provided a definition of materialism; I'm relying on the modern view, that it is wrong to value reality and concrete things. I oppose this. I do strongly feel that it is wrong to disconnect material things from their real values.

Therefore, I conclude that anyone who lives in reality and has values will value material (i.e., concrete and existential) things.
jsierra3114

Con

jsierra3114 forfeited this round.
vardaanbhat

Pro

vardaanbhat forfeited this round.
jsierra3114

Con

jsierra3114 forfeited this round.
vardaanbhat

Pro

vardaanbhat forfeited this round.
Posted by zookdook1 1 year ago
zookdook1
Probably money. Because if you have enough of it, you can buy anything you think'll make you happy.
Posted by finickyrealist2 1 year ago
finickyrealist2
Then what is the source of lasting happiness, if there is one?
Posted by zookdook1 1 year ago
zookdook1
'Material Goods only keep us happy for a few hours or days at most"

Yeah, because poverty is euphoric.
Posted by Longline 1 year ago
Longline
i am trying to put this view or how you stated this argument in to my head. but is there a rather easier way to put this?

in order to have a distinguishable side?